Haze

Haze 40watt and 15 watt

Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Forum rules
HAZE MHZ 15 HEAD- 15W, guitar head-unit, five-tube chassis, preamp: 3 X ECC83, power: 2 X 6V6, solid-state rectifier, two channels, reverb, echo, vibe, chorus, front gold control panel, single input, nine knobs (effects adjust, effects depth, r, b, m, t, OD v, OD g, Clean v), power switch, effects switch, channel switch, bright switch, rear panel: emulated line out, two speaker jacks (16 ohm, 8 ohm), effects loop with on/off switch, footswitch jack, two-button footswitch included, black covering, gray grille with white piping and white script Marshall logo, 20.5 lbs., mfg. 2009-2012.

HAZE MHZ 40C COMBO - 40W, 1-12 in. Celestion G12T-66 speaker, guitar combo, five-tube chassis, preamp: 3 X ECC83, power: 2 X EL34, solid-state rectifier, two channels, reverb, echo, vibe, chorus, front gold control panel, single input, 10 knobs (Normal Ch. v, OD Ch. v, OD Ch. g, t, m, b, p, r, effect depth, effects adjust), bright switch, boost switch (Normal Ch.), channel switch, boost switch (OD Ch.), effects switch, standby switch, power switch, rear panel: emulated line out, two speaker jacks (16 ohm, 8 ohm), effects loop with on/off switch, footswitch jack, two-button footswitch included, black covering, gray grille with white piping and white script Marshall logo, 44.7 lbs., mfg. 2009-2012.

HAZE MHZ112 SPEAKER CABINET - 1-12 in. Celestion G12-66 Marquee speaker, closed back, straight or angled front, designed for use with the Haze MHZ 15 Head, black covering, dark gray grille cloth with white piping and white script Marshall logo, mfg. 2009-2012.

halfajob_charlie
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Haze

Postby halfajob_charlie » 07 Jun 2009, 14:29

On first hearing about a new, affordable, 15w, all valve Marshall amp, I thought woo hoo! At last. :dance
Though after reading the full descriptions of the amps I have the following issues and wonder what other people think.
1; 15w head and 40w combo, huh! Surely this is the wrong way round! A 15w combo would be much better or maybe one with the ability to switch between 2 different power levels.
2; Congrats are due for the 4 way foot controller (I think this type should have been issued with the VM) but why only for the combo?
3; Shared EQ for both channels! I don't understand the point of 2 foot switchable channels if you then have to adjust the EQ on the amp when you switch between them!
4; I like the automatic storing of the effect setting per channel but why bother with 3 effects if you can only use one at a time?
Why not just have a good quality reverb and make do with that.

I know you can't please everyone but for my money a 15w, all valve, one channel combo, built on the VM design where you turn down the guitars volume to clean up would have been much better.
The Haze 40w combo isn't different enough from my 2266C to make it worth buying.

What do you think? :think

Sean Coughlon
<25
<25

Re: Haze

Postby Sean Coughlon » 07 Jun 2009, 16:12

halfajob_charlie wrote:The Haze 40w combo isn't different enough from my 2266C to make it worth buying.
I really hope the Haze 40 is, as you imply, not too different from the 2266C. If that is the case I think they will sell a ton of Haze amps. And I'll be very happy with my purchase - just have to wait for it to arrive now.

MKB
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 96 times

Postby MKB » 08 Jun 2009, 03:29

From all I've seen and heard so far, the Haze 40 is more of a classic preamp switching amp with a clean and distorted channel (maybe more like a DSL combo). This is different from a VM, which is one channel with boost. But you'd have to see the schematic to be sure. I'd LOVE to see the Haze schematics.

FWIW, I bought my VM without ever trying one out as I was able to get a look at the schematic first, and it looked like such a sweet design I had to have one. I knew it would probably sound great. After you work on amps for awhile you can tell a lot about what an amp sounds like by looking at the circuit arrangement.

Spotted Dog
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 105 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby Spotted Dog » 08 Jun 2009, 09:49

MKB wrote:After you work on amps for awhile you can tell a lot about what an amp sounds like by looking at the circuit arrangement.
Cool, into the "Matrix", Vintage Modern style. :bgrin

Joe, Jimi, Stevie, Derek, Carlos, Jimmy, Warren, Buddy, Dickie, Eric, Lonnie, Robin, Duane, Luther, David, Tommy, Walter

335, LPs, Strats, Teles, Myra -->> 2266, 425A, JTM1, JMP1H, JCM1H, Lone Star Special, Super Reverb, Dr Z Galaxie & Carmen Ghia, MG 15, Li'l Dawg Tweed Deluxe Clone

TS-808, Blues Driver; Lovepedal, Amp 50, MXR 78 BadAss, Les Lius, Java Boost, Fuzz Head, MXR 10 EQ, Deja Vibe, Cry Baby, Trinity Reverb, Alter Ego Delay, Rat, Big Muff, MK Boost

StratLover
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby StratLover » 29 Jun 2009, 13:25

I really like these Haze things. Although I'm only 15, I am pretty much a vintage tone purist. I LOVE cranking a tube amp, and the Haze is perfect. Just leave it on the clean channel, put it on 10, and you have vintage Marshall breakup. This is far from "THE" amp, but for 700 dollars, it kicks the shit out of the comparable Fender Deluxe. A cool thing about the effects is that when you turn the effect to 0, it actually turns it "off," and removes the effects from the circuit completely. So, with the effects off, on the clean channel, you have a 40 watt, non-master volume el34 powered marshall for 700 bucks. Sounds like a deal to me :dance
SIGNAL CHAIN: G$L Legacy>Tonebone Hot British>Vox Big Ben Overdrive>Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster>Peterson Strobo Stomp>Marshall Vintage Modern 2466

StratLover
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby StratLover » 29 Jun 2009, 23:14

Forgot to mention, one of the screwier things about the amps is the vast differences between the two models. The wattage, which was already mentioned. The combo has an effects loop, where as the head does not. And, the biggest of all, the head holds 6V6 power tubes. They are pretty different beasts for carrying the same monicker! I tend to prefer the combo, it's a little less brittle/bright. Both sound screamin' for the money though
SIGNAL CHAIN: G$L Legacy>Tonebone Hot British>Vox Big Ben Overdrive>Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster>Peterson Strobo Stomp>Marshall Vintage Modern 2466

Green Manalishi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby Green Manalishi » 05 Sep 2009, 15:50

So I tested out a Haze 40 today, and I was underwhelmed by it. The clean channel was kinda flat, needed the bright on, but was ok. Not nearly as nice as the clean on my DSL50.
The overdrive channel was mud. I couldn't get a tone I liked out of it. Interestingly enough the amp was at ear level too.

I guess I am spoiled by the VM.

I wish there would be a 15W version of the VM.
Crossroadsnyc douche of the year, and everyone at TGP tied for 2nd

TonyC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 27 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby TonyC » 24 Sep 2009, 15:32

Here's one more video with the Haze in the hands of Doug Aldrich:

I think it sounds thick and fat. I actually like it.

spikei
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times

Postby spikei » 14 Oct 2009, 09:50

Haze 40 combo and 4 way switch - after getting a replacement amp, cos the first one was popping when changing channels, I'm pleased to say i like what i hear. at home i wasn't that impressed, sound was a bit dark, but after having a bash with it in the hall its a different sound all together, good clean, good crunch, good overdrive and boost for lead, add a bit of the on-board delay fx and its there, and it doesn't weigh a ton either, at nearly 50 i don't want to be lugging heavy gear around. its all i want in one amp. well done Marshall.

i just hope its reliable, time will tell :roll

BTW this amp is totally different to the V M combo, different sounds from different beast. i love them both.
Marshall Vintage Modern Combo
Marshall JVM 215 Combo
Marshall JMD1 501 Combo
Marshall AVT 100 Combo
Marshall 1936 Cab
Gibson L P Studio
Fender Strat A Std
Fender Jv Squire Strat
Ibanez 59 Deluxe

Return to “Marshall Haze”