No standby on the Haze MHZ Head?

Haze 40watt and 15 watt

Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Forum rules
HAZE MHZ 15 HEAD- 15W, guitar head-unit, five-tube chassis, preamp: 3 X ECC83, power: 2 X 6V6, solid-state rectifier, two channels, reverb, echo, vibe, chorus, front gold control panel, single input, nine knobs (effects adjust, effects depth, r, b, m, t, OD v, OD g, Clean v), power switch, effects switch, channel switch, bright switch, rear panel: emulated line out, two speaker jacks (16 ohm, 8 ohm), effects loop with on/off switch, footswitch jack, two-button footswitch included, black covering, gray grille with white piping and white script Marshall logo, 20.5 lbs., mfg. 2009-2012.

HAZE MHZ 40C COMBO - 40W, 1-12 in. Celestion G12T-66 speaker, guitar combo, five-tube chassis, preamp: 3 X ECC83, power: 2 X EL34, solid-state rectifier, two channels, reverb, echo, vibe, chorus, front gold control panel, single input, 10 knobs (Normal Ch. v, OD Ch. v, OD Ch. g, t, m, b, p, r, effect depth, effects adjust), bright switch, boost switch (Normal Ch.), channel switch, boost switch (OD Ch.), effects switch, standby switch, power switch, rear panel: emulated line out, two speaker jacks (16 ohm, 8 ohm), effects loop with on/off switch, footswitch jack, two-button footswitch included, black covering, gray grille with white piping and white script Marshall logo, 44.7 lbs., mfg. 2009-2012.

HAZE MHZ112 SPEAKER CABINET - 1-12 in. Celestion G12-66 Marquee speaker, closed back, straight or angled front, designed for use with the Haze MHZ 15 Head, black covering, dark gray grille cloth with white piping and white script Marshall logo, mfg. 2009-2012.

zappatista
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 3 times

No standby on the Haze MHZ Head?

Postby zappatista » 23 Jan 2010, 19:15

Not being an electrical or amp design guru, I'm wondering why there isn't a standby switch on the Haze head.

I just got the amp yesterday, I like the amp alot, but it's such an ingrained response to click that standby switch off if I leave the

room for another beer or whatever, It feels funny to not be doing it.

What I'm wondering is if this is going to shorten the tube life in this amp because I do have a habit of running an amp for a few

hours a day, but turning off the standby, and just have it idling when not in use.

Anyway, I am digging the amp! The thing that I've really picked up on it, is that i has a good all over warmth to the feel and sound. Haven't had a chance to crank it yet.
Vintage Modern 2466 (Purple!)
Marshall 425A cab (Purple!)
Marshall Haze MHZ112 Cab
Marshall JMD50 Head
1990 Les Paul Studio, Dimarzio Air Classic, Dimarzio Super Distortion PUPS
A Handful of Stomp Gadgets/Boosty devices

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: No standby on the Haze MHZ Head?

Postby surfnorthwest » 23 Jan 2010, 19:48

That is weird, you would think anything with power valves would have a standby switch. Perhaps with the tranny it has it just doesn't get that hot, :dunno but I like to keep my tubes cooking anyways if I go out of the studio for a bit and usally just switch it off with the amp switcher and leave it off standby anyways. Did you get the combo or that cool looking mini stack?
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

zappatista
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby zappatista » 24 Jan 2010, 11:01

I got the 15 watt head, but not the 1x12 cabs. I keep my 1960A cab at home as part of my back up rig, so I've been running the amp through that.

It's a great sounding little amp, but I still haven't given it the crank test.

I'll post a little review once I've had a chance to crank it up. Most of the reviews I've read of it on the web seem pretty accurate though. So far I'd probably even give it a better bedroom level review than most. The preamp gain is smooth and warm, and very brown sounding for lack of a better description.
Marshall Haze MHZ112 Cab
Marshall JMD50 Head

MKB
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 96 times

Postby MKB » 24 Jan 2010, 14:47

There's some debate in the amp community whether a standby switch is necessary or not. The main reason for a standby switch is to prevent noises when the amp isn't in use; you could turn the amp all the way off but then you'd have to warm up the amp again when turning it back on. I think the improvement on tube life is negligible.

It makes sense in some amps to warm up the filaments before applying B+ because the voltages across some of the coupling caps and filter caps can get very high if the tubes are cold. But you can design an amp so this isn't a problem. I'm sure Marshall took all this into account with the Haze head, and you won't suffer any damage by not having a standby switch.

My personal opinion is they ran out of space on the front panel while keeping the amp the size they wanted. That's the reason.

zappatista
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby zappatista » 24 Jan 2010, 15:23

MKB wrote:
My personal opinion is they ran out of space on the front panel while keeping the amp the size they wanted. That's the reason.

Yes, it's all about the look!

I had no doubts that there were good reasons for not having the standby, but would like to know the theory behind it anyway.

Thanks for the info!
Marshall Haze MHZ112 Cab
Marshall JMD50 Head

Return to “Marshall Haze”