Haze 40 vs Haze mini stack

Haze 40watt and 15 watt

Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Forum rules
HAZE MHZ 15 HEAD- 15W, guitar head-unit, five-tube chassis, preamp: 3 X ECC83, power: 2 X 6V6, solid-state rectifier, two channels, reverb, echo, vibe, chorus, front gold control panel, single input, nine knobs (effects adjust, effects depth, r, b, m, t, OD v, OD g, Clean v), power switch, effects switch, channel switch, bright switch, rear panel: emulated line out, two speaker jacks (16 ohm, 8 ohm), effects loop with on/off switch, footswitch jack, two-button footswitch included, black covering, gray grille with white piping and white script Marshall logo, 20.5 lbs., mfg. 2009-2012.

HAZE MHZ 40C COMBO - 40W, 1-12 in. Celestion G12T-66 speaker, guitar combo, five-tube chassis, preamp: 3 X ECC83, power: 2 X EL34, solid-state rectifier, two channels, reverb, echo, vibe, chorus, front gold control panel, single input, 10 knobs (Normal Ch. v, OD Ch. v, OD Ch. g, t, m, b, p, r, effect depth, effects adjust), bright switch, boost switch (Normal Ch.), channel switch, boost switch (OD Ch.), effects switch, standby switch, power switch, rear panel: emulated line out, two speaker jacks (16 ohm, 8 ohm), effects loop with on/off switch, footswitch jack, two-button footswitch included, black covering, gray grille with white piping and white script Marshall logo, 44.7 lbs., mfg. 2009-2012.

HAZE MHZ112 SPEAKER CABINET - 1-12 in. Celestion G12-66 Marquee speaker, closed back, straight or angled front, designed for use with the Haze MHZ 15 Head, black covering, dark gray grille cloth with white piping and white script Marshall logo, mfg. 2009-2012.

pillagethesound
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Haze 40 vs Haze mini stack

Postby pillagethesound » 05 Apr 2010, 23:33

So I stop at guitar center between errands at work today to futs around for a few minutes and tried the Haze 40 combo. Ive tried the Haze mini stack before and found it a bit too bright and harsh imo, and didnt care to much for it for what i play (and i cant find anything close to my VM). But i was suprised when i played the Haze 40...it was almost the complete opposite. Its bizarre but to me it almost sounded like a different amp entirely. The combo sounded almost muffled when on overdrive and the OD2 channels. Very middy and bottom endy. It almost sound like more of a fuzz than a crunch distortion and just really threw me for a loop. Is it just me or has anyone else noticed this?
Life your life, you can sleep when you're dead

LivewireBlanco
The Professor
The Professor
Has Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Re: Haze 40 vs Haze mini stack

Postby LivewireBlanco » 09 Apr 2010, 16:55

Contrary to the name of both amps they are pretty different animals. One has 15w with 6V6 power tubes and the other is 40w with el34 tubes. That alone would make a big difference but then there are some differences in the control layout etc.
"I play country the way a good rock guitarist should."
http://www.myspace.com/buckshotbradley

pillagethesound
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby pillagethesound » 10 Apr 2010, 04:34

that'd make sense, i did know the tube configuration of the amps and my local guitar center peeps couldnt tell me much on them
Life your life, you can sleep when you're dead

MKB
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 96 times

Postby MKB » 30 May 2010, 18:39

They are slightly different animals. The Haze 40 is a bit more complicated, and is designed to have a clean and overdrive channel, with a switchable boost for the overdrive channel (so it's kind of a 3 channel amp). There is a 4 button footswitch available for the Haze 40 that makes it very versatile.

You are right on the overdrive channel muddiness, they have cut the highs quite a bit. This can be tweaked with a few capacitor changes though, and the amp sounds much better after that. If you do try one out again, make sure the Bright switch is engaged; although it is near the clean channel volume, it makes both channels brighter and is required to make the overdrive channel sound good (before the mods at least).

Both the Haze 15 and 40 can be thought of as basically a JCM800 2203 type Master Volume amp arrangement with a series of mods that are switched in and out with relays. Most of the operational tweaks you do with a 2203 work well with the Haze amps. Plug a Boss Super Overdrive into the input of a Haze and switch it to the overdrive channel with the boost off, they sound very nice like that.

Vinny
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts

Postby Vinny » 31 May 2010, 01:01

I played both amps, and bought a Haze 15 head... I nearly played it and sold it back!!! I found the Haze series is realy crap!!! Sorry for this, but the sound is realy heavy, not harmonic and not easy to control!! Even on a low volume it's too screamy!
No, for me there are far better alternatives than the Haze, In my opinion Marshall did not a good thing with this series! A Class 5 sounds much better!!!

MKB
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 96 times

Postby MKB » 01 Jun 2010, 04:53

Vinny wrote:I played both amps, and bought a Haze 15 head... I nearly played it and sold it back!!! I found the Haze series is realy crap!!! Sorry for this, but the sound is realy heavy, not harmonic and not easy to control!! Even on a low volume it's too screamy!
One other thing I forgot to mention; the Marquee speaker in the Haze is bright and harsh sounding until it is broken in, but after that it sounds extremely good. That might be the reason for the screaminess you heard.

Hellhound
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Hellhound » 10 Jul 2010, 03:28

I have a haze 40 and absolutly love it. It has a really warm sound on all the channels - 4 if you count the boosts on each channel.
The clean channel unboosted offers undistorted clean tones all the way up. If you then switch the boost on it becomes more crunchy the louder you go.

The overdrive channel is great for blues. Perfect in fact with no end of tones available from your guitar volume control. Add in plenty of reverb and a bit of the excellent built in vibe effect and it's pure Jimi. Push the distortion to max and you've got that really nice beano sound.

Click the boost on and the overdrive really thickens up. Classic rock tones that also clean up nicely with the guitar volume. This isn't a metal amp but you can drop the mids and raise the prescence for a decent imitation.

The bright switch is essential if you use a les Paul. No bright switch equals awful muddy washy tone simples.

I'd recommend the haze 40 over the head. There is an optional 4 way pedal that remembers effect settings, so you can have the clean channel with chorus and reverb, od channel with vibe then od boost with delay and it remembers it all!

The tones are a little muddy at low volumes but can be helped with the prescence control. Turn it up and it brightens nicely and can easily deafen the drummer. I use an original guvnor pedal to help with distortion at low volumes.

I can't get enough of the haze 40, I play it everyday and would buy another if this one got nicked. An excellent value fir money blues amp.
Marshall Haze 40
Marshall VM2466
Gibson Les Paul Classic - Burstbucker 2 - bridge, Slash Pro - Neck
1960a Vintage 4x12
TC Electronic Polytuner
Line 6 Relay G30 Wireless System
Radial Engineering ABY Pedal
Cry Baby Wah

Return to “Marshall Haze”