So...

Haze 40watt and 15 watt

Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Forum rules
HAZE MHZ 15 HEAD- 15W, guitar head-unit, five-tube chassis, preamp: 3 X ECC83, power: 2 X 6V6, solid-state rectifier, two channels, reverb, echo, vibe, chorus, front gold control panel, single input, nine knobs (effects adjust, effects depth, r, b, m, t, OD v, OD g, Clean v), power switch, effects switch, channel switch, bright switch, rear panel: emulated line out, two speaker jacks (16 ohm, 8 ohm), effects loop with on/off switch, footswitch jack, two-button footswitch included, black covering, gray grille with white piping and white script Marshall logo, 20.5 lbs., mfg. 2009-2012.

HAZE MHZ 40C COMBO - 40W, 1-12 in. Celestion G12T-66 speaker, guitar combo, five-tube chassis, preamp: 3 X ECC83, power: 2 X EL34, solid-state rectifier, two channels, reverb, echo, vibe, chorus, front gold control panel, single input, 10 knobs (Normal Ch. v, OD Ch. v, OD Ch. g, t, m, b, p, r, effect depth, effects adjust), bright switch, boost switch (Normal Ch.), channel switch, boost switch (OD Ch.), effects switch, standby switch, power switch, rear panel: emulated line out, two speaker jacks (16 ohm, 8 ohm), effects loop with on/off switch, footswitch jack, two-button footswitch included, black covering, gray grille with white piping and white script Marshall logo, 44.7 lbs., mfg. 2009-2012.

HAZE MHZ112 SPEAKER CABINET - 1-12 in. Celestion G12-66 Marquee speaker, closed back, straight or angled front, designed for use with the Haze MHZ 15 Head, black covering, dark gray grille cloth with white piping and white script Marshall logo, mfg. 2009-2012.

JkGriffin
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 46 times
Been liked: 157 times

Re: So...

Postby JkGriffin » 02 Sep 2011, 13:56

Hellhound wrote:Well the AFD not having a clean channel is hardly my fault, no clean channel means it's useless in a blues/rock cover band. So I would say that it is the amps fault. Also, I don't have a lack of understanding of what you have written, I can read English because I am English. If you feel that I have misread your posts then explain what you mean by the haze not being a proper tube amp and your xenophobic comments about overseas construction.

No, I don't think it's the best rock amp ever, etc. I've only owned about 15-20 tube amps, so I have no idea about the others. It's great for what I need it for, a band amp that's got excellent tone and is no hassle. :tounge
So the lack of cleans means that it's useless in a blues/rock cover band? Useless for you maybe, but that is still not the amps fault. The AFD is surprisingly versatile to be what it is. I agree it's not the most versatile amp ever... far from it. For most people it can't be their only amp, I'm sure. It depends on what you want to use it for... but I can assure you that it has a much larger area of application than Guns N' Roses cover bands.

And that you are English is hardly any proof that you're able to understand, and you keep showing that you don't... but since you ask so nicely I'll tell you one more time.

When I started sniffing at tube amps, the Haze40 was one of the first ones I tried. I thought it sounded cool. Remember... this was while I really didn't have any experience worth speaking of. It sounded better than the average transistor amp. That's all it took to impress me. I even nearly pulled the trigger on that as well after I've had it in my possession for a few days. The only bad thing I could say about it is that it looked like it was a plastic toy rather than an amp that can live through years of touring the road, which most Marshalls do. They produce the amp in India with what must be cheaper materals to cut the cost, but I can't see that reflected in the price. On the contrary, I feel Marshall charge extra for the shipping.
But I could live with that as long as it sounded good. But the store had just got a VM2266 in the very same day I brought the Haze back. It was far too expensive in my opinion though, but I thought I'd give it a go. The difference was instantly apparent, so I realised that I needed to keep searching. Since then I've tried a lot of amps, and all amps I've tried in just about that price range blows the Haze40 to bits... even a lot of the less costly ones. And for a not too many bucks more, you'll get even greater amps.
So given that the Haze40 is in the price range it is, I will say that it is crap. It is slightly less expensive now than it was when I've tried it, just about 75% of the price infact and still I find it expensive. It's just about 1200$ worth in Norway now. 800$ would be a more fair price. About the price of the Class5, not nearly as great sounding, but with more power. Then we can say that you get your moneys worth.

But you did write it was the greatest Marshall Rock Tone you've ever heard, so then I totally understand that you disagree with me. The greatest Marshall Rock tone for just 1200$ surely is a bargain. And if that satisfy you, then good for you... for sure...

I will still advice anyone who asks to take a look around and see what else is there because I'd don't want anyone to do the mistake I nearly did. If they take a look around, checking out different amps and still decide for the Haze40, then brilliant for them.

Slash1337
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 29 times
Been liked: 78 times

Postby Slash1337 » 02 Sep 2011, 14:04

I think the AFD100 would do fine in a blues rock scenario? It doesn't have a TON of gain to start with. And the VM taught me how to use my guitar volume pot too. I think the AFD mode with gain under anywhere from 12 o'clock can rock the blues pretty hard. Don't dismiss it cause it doesn't have a clean channel. Remember, alot of the old Marshall's never had a "Channel" But I do think there are better amps for the genre what you're wanting to play, but I'd be interested to hear what the AFD100 would sound like in a band like that.
"Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste"
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Marshall AFD100
Gibson R9 Faded Tobacco
60' Gibson Goldtop LP
Epiphone Elitist LP Custom
Marshall 1960TV w/ G12H Greenbacks
Crybaby Zakk Wylde
Dunlop Heil Talk Box

http://www.facebook.com/Deadrivalsofficial

Hellhound
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Postby Hellhound » 02 Sep 2011, 16:06

JK - Yeah, yeah, yeah, I heard you the first time.

Slash - Don't get me wrong, the AFD is a great amp, just not in my band. I need sparkling cleans on some of our songs and the AFD just couldn't do it. We're a two guitar band and the rolling back the volume trick doesn't work well. My favourite thing about the AFD was the #34 mode, I could get some amazing Peter Green out of phase sounds with it. I seem to remember Jimmy Page tones hanging around in the AFD channel as well. And of course for that Slash tone there's nothing better.

There probably are better amps out there but I've been through so many amps in the last couple of years that I've gotten to the stage where I'm not prepared to lose any more money on the search for the perfect tone. The Haze and VM are close enough for me. I had both of them running through my 1960AV at the same time tonight and it was heaven (to my ears). :pray
Marshall Haze 40
Marshall VM2466
Gibson Les Paul Classic - Burstbucker 2 - bridge, Slash Pro - Neck
1960a Vintage 4x12
TC Electronic Polytuner
Line 6 Relay G30 Wireless System
Radial Engineering ABY Pedal
Cry Baby Wah

Slash1337
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 29 times
Been liked: 78 times

Postby Slash1337 » 02 Sep 2011, 16:08

I was gonna say try finding a Twin, or some sort of Fender. A twin with the VM would probably be blues heaven :)
"Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste"
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Marshall AFD100
Gibson R9 Faded Tobacco
60' Gibson Goldtop LP
Epiphone Elitist LP Custom
Marshall 1960TV w/ G12H Greenbacks
Crybaby Zakk Wylde
Dunlop Heil Talk Box

http://www.facebook.com/Deadrivalsofficial

JkGriffin
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 46 times
Been liked: 157 times

Postby JkGriffin » 02 Sep 2011, 16:14

I believe gtrman did a pretty good demo playing the blues... or am I mistaking now?

I'm sitting on a pretty crappy internet line out in the North Sea at the moment, so search is basically out of the question :roll

And definately true... If use a two amp setup where the twin takes care of the cleans... that would definitively work. Pretty much like the setup I'm in the progress of making... only with my Lil' Elvis.

The challenge is to make a good amp switch that allows me to split the signal chain to run some effects in the FX-loop of the AFD and all in front of the Lil' Elvis.

-- Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:42 am --
Hellhound wrote:JK - Yeah, yeah, yeah, I heard you the first time.
Hehe... so you were pretending?
Geez... I really took the bait didn't I.

the_rocker
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 18 times

Postby the_rocker » 03 Sep 2011, 04:48

Hellhound wrote:Yes, Dad........ :dunno

He started it, grumblegrumble. :laugher

:gangsta
VM 2466 Head | 1959HW Head | 1960AV Cab | 1960BV Cab

Return to “Marshall Haze”