Moderator: longfxukxnhair

aristotle
'54 Les Paul
'54 Les Paul
Has Liked: 87 times
Been liked: 527 times

A little JVM love

Postby aristotle » 23 Oct 2012, 12:18

It's been quite some time since I have fired up the JVM410H, and even longer since I have played it out. I certainly never had a bad opinion of it, and in fact, it was my main gig rig before I had the opportunity to pick up some of the crazy stuff I have.

I hate to have stuff and not use it though (and I hate to get rid of stuff) so I played it out for the first time in a while last weekend. Man, it was like spending a bunch of time practicing swings with two bats and then stepping up to the plate with one bat. That amp goes from DC to light. Forgot how nice that the clean channel is (green, orange and red, but particularly green...) As before when I used to play with it out, I never make it to the crazy gain channel 4, but there isn't much that you can't get out of this amp, and all at reasonable volumes. Played it out through a 1960BHW, and the extra low frequency punch at medium to high gain tones really makes a difference at lower volumes.

For some reason, I don't find myself wanting to play it at home by itself. Even though I don't gig out much with the JMD:1 either, I do find the time to noodle with it at home because it's fun to experiment with all of the options. Not so much with the JVM. As a gigging amp though, I'm not sure that it can be beat if you cover a ton of material.

I still am getting a kick out of figuring out how to work in single channel (and mainly vintage inspired) amps into gigging, but every now and again, it's really nice to just take the Caddilac for a spin because you know it's going to be a comfortable and cool ride.

Alpeggio
Secret Blueser
Secret Blueser
Has Liked: 5144 times
Been liked: 3146 times

Re: A little JVM love

Postby Alpeggio » 23 Oct 2012, 17:03

aristotle, that's a nice little story. Interesting that you use the BHW cab with it. Sounds like a good Idea to me. Some people say its great with a YJM too. I can't decide on a 4x12 cab, between the BHW or the BX greenback.
I found the JVM410C that I had, to be difficult to set up well, perhaps I just didn't have it loud enough at home.
SV20 Plexi, JTM45, YJM plexi, KK800, JTM60, JTM1, JMP1, JCM1, DSL1, JVM1.

romeomotive
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 8 times

Postby romeomotive » 31 Oct 2012, 18:36

I have both my 100 watters JVM and YJM up at my warehouse and the smaller amps Class 5H and DSL 40C at the house and I must say for loud practice I am still preferring the JVM. Need to try the new one though...don't think I will sell 410H. Just hold off until I can have both.

romeomotive

:headbanger

LiveFreeOrDie
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 73 times
Been liked: 279 times

Postby LiveFreeOrDie » 06 Jan 2013, 16:45

I recently became more interested in the JVM. I've been looking around for a good deal.
Many Marshall's, and I want more.

CBoothe
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Been liked: 17 times

Postby CBoothe » 12 Jan 2013, 09:22

I love my 410H. I had it modified by Voodoo amps. It was the standard mod and I'm not exactly sure what they did to it, but what it did for me was allow me to use the OD Orange and Red modes on a lower gain setting and not get over bright or compressed. The gain is still there if you want it, but I usually put the gain for Orange at about 9 o'clock and at about 8 for red and it kills. The green channels kill to.

I find I don't use the crunch channel too much but the clean, like you said, is amazing.

Like you I have more gear than I need right now and have a few bills I could pay so I am really wrestling on whether to sell some stuff. With my axe fx I can get any tone I want, but I love looking over and seeing my "real" Marshalls- JVM and VM. I know I will miss them if I do.
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded
Gibson Les Paul Classic Ebony
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Heritage Cherry Sunburst
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Heritage Light Burst
Gibson SG Standard-Heritage Cherry
Marshall SL5
Marshall JCM1C
Marshall JVM410HJS
Marshall Slash Cab w/ V30s
Marshall 425A
Voodoo Modded Marshall JVM 410
Marshall 1960AV Loaded with V30/G12H30
Axe Fx II
Atomic 50/50 Power Amp
Run into All Cabs

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 12 Jan 2013, 09:29

CBoothe wrote:I love my 410H. I had it modified by Voodoo amps. It was the standard mod and I'm not exactly sure what they did to it, but what it did for me was allow me to use the OD Orange and Red modes on a lower gain setting and not get over bright or compressed. The gain is still there if you want it, but I usually put the gain for Orange at about 9 o'clock and at about 8 for red and it kills. The green channels kill to.

I find I don't use the crunch channel too much but the clean, like you said, is amazing.

Like you I have more gear than I need right now and have a few bills I could pay so I am really wrestling on whether to sell some stuff. With my axe fx I can get any tone I want, but I love looking over and seeing my "real" Marshalls- JVM and VM. I know I will miss them if I do.
Did you ever try importing the VM tone into the AXE fxII, just curious how good it does this. Some of the videos I have seen online where a amp is played then the AXE plays the same model after it was imported in are..... well, to good to be true.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

CBoothe
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Been liked: 17 times

Postby CBoothe » 14 Jan 2013, 05:12

Surf I haven't tried any of the tone matching, mostly because you need a full range speaker system to use it. Unless I am recording, I use it through my 4x12s -the 425A I have kicks ass with it. :headbanger

Fractal has a few "idealized" amp models in their amp collection and there is one- the FAS crunch, that comes very close. Supposedly it's an idealized higher gain plexi type amp. I really dig it. It sounds close to me and with some tweaking I bet I can get there.

There are many others that are very successful with tone matching and some of the clips are indistinguishable to my ears.
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded
Gibson Les Paul Classic Ebony
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Heritage Cherry Sunburst
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Heritage Light Burst
Gibson SG Standard-Heritage Cherry
Marshall SL5
Marshall JCM1C
Marshall JVM410HJS
Marshall Slash Cab w/ V30s
Marshall 425A
Voodoo Modded Marshall JVM 410
Marshall 1960AV Loaded with V30/G12H30