Yup, HJS and a Baja Tele.

GuitarGuy10
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Quick Review of the JVM410HJS

Postby GuitarGuy10 » 23 Feb 2014, 14:20

One thing I have learned about modern Marshalls, is that they greatly improve with replacing parts with higher quality parts. However, it seems with the HJS, Marshall has been using really good parts, because the amp has better clarity and warmth than other newer Marshalls. Although I would bet it could still use an overhaul.

GuitarGuy10
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby GuitarGuy10 » 09 Mar 2014, 17:00

I checked it out again! Nice amp. Every bit as good as my older Marshalls and my boutique amps. I hate most of the new mass produced Marshalls but this is like a modified Marshall or a boutique amp. :)

GuitarGuy10
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby GuitarGuy10 » 10 Mar 2014, 09:43

surfnorthwest wrote:Got to spend a few hours with it today to fine tweak my setting and pick the cabinet I want to use with it. For those that do not want to read on the bottom line review on the new JVM410HJS is this...

Closest thing to a perfect stock amp I have played.

Now for a review. I must first say that when the JVM came out in 2007 I was pretty excited. I tried the 100 watt head only to pass on it. There were numerous issues I had with it. Those issues have been resolved in the JS model... WOW.

The coolest feature and a God send is the two master volumes. So you have the three cleans and the three crunch's running off one and then both OD1 and OD2 running off another.... PERFECT. This allows you not only to fine tune the volume for your leads but also allows for to sound variances using OD1 and OD2. I set the eq for OD1 and OD2 the same but ran the gain on OD1 at 35% and the gain on OD 2 at 65%.

The noise gates work great, but depending how you have the amp set you have to loose a lot of it which can kill some sustain, still playing with this. It is nice to have a separate noise gate for each channel, this ensures the quietest operation while still allowing the amp to breathe.

The effects loop IMO is much better here also, for once it finally sounds right and as it should. I thought the original JVM loop was a bit harsh.

While volume may be the same between the original and the JS version, without a doubt the perception on this is that it is louder. I don't think it is but it seem that way because the tones are WAY better at lower volumes. This is worth the price of the amp.

I didn't find the amp complicated at all, in fact it was laid out great. I did take me some time to dial it in as I always test the tones with the guitar up at only 60%. This thing has better bass projection the the first JVM IMO.

You can tell the overall gain is different, still more then enough (really, more then enough) gain on tap but it doesn't squeal like a pig and it is without a doubt a smoother delivery. Win.

The foot pedal as some options on how you set it up, I will figure this out tomorrow. If I were to Gig this I think a ground midi control would be worth it. The manual has Joe's midi implementation listed.

IMO this could be the second most versatile amp Marshall has ever built. It has it all and lacks really nothing UNLESS you are looking for the vintage tones, if so look elsewhere, this is about classic and modern rock. If you gig and have the resources I strongly recommend this amp. Seamless switching and awesome control rolling back the guitar, touch sensitive like a motherf*****.

I found the GT12T-75s to be the correct all around cabinet with this amp. However I must stress that a quad of Lead 80s with this amp was even better, brutal thump out of it.

There has only been a few Marshall I rate at 5 stars, the last one was the YJM. This one is hands down dangerous and 5 stars. Brilliant amp!

Nice rig! I am surprised the T75s were the speakers for this amp. I always found them thin and scooped. My Go-to speakers are V30s, CL80s, K100s, Greenbacks, Creambacks and Lynchbacks.

I would suggest a Port City cab too!!!

GuitarGuy10
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby GuitarGuy10 » 11 Mar 2014, 12:35

I don't know how some hear this amp as fizzy. LOL! No way.

GuitarGuy10
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby GuitarGuy10 » 13 Mar 2014, 02:30

I agree, this amp rocks. This is my favorite new Marshall hands down. Not sure how they got a 4 channel amp to sound this good, like a Diezel or Bogner at half the cost. How much are these heads used? I used to see em used, but not lately.

Return to “Marshall JVM”