Moderator: longfxukxnhair

CBoothe
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Has Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 17 times

"We Interupt this Wedding Night..." JVMJS Love

Postby CBoothe » 22 Apr 2013, 12:48

Yes- I know I am in the honeymoon phase- in fact, after having the amp only a couple hours, I would call this the wedding night- the honeymoon has barely begun.
But I wanted to share my first impressions of the JVM410HJS I just scored.

I won't make this too long, but I have a 410H that was modified by Voodoo Amps- standard mod. I have no clue what they did, but the result was being able to use the two overdrive channels on the amp without squealing with the gain high enough to be useable for me on OD orange and red. Essentially, it allows me to use gain on 2 or 3 without becoming overly bright and compressed.
But after reading the reviews of the JS, I wanted to try one. I bid on a refurbished one on EBay, pretty lowball thinking they would not accept my offer. I did not do quite as well as Surf did in his recent post about his, but came pretty darn close.

So it arrived today, and I snuck away from work a little early (had to go get my knee x-rayed and didn't go back) and came home and fired it up.

In a word- WOW!! :wow I can see one problem-I am going to have a hard time deciding on a "favorite channel."

I bought this amp primarily for the reviews of crunch red, and how it has some of the AFD circuitry in it. But truth be told, while crunch red is pretty frickin sweet, I like crunch amber better. The OD channels are really damn good too.

The amp sounds a bit dark to me- not that it is dark, but I am used to hearing my other 410, which is a brighter and "treblier" after the mod that was done.
I tried it through all three cabs I have- 425A, 1960AV with a mix of Marshall V30s and G12H30s and a 1960 slash (the old one) with V30s. I settled on the Slash cab, because it brightens it up for me with the V30s.

I used all my guitars, and my fav is the one pictured with Slash sig pickups. They all sound great though. My SG on on crunch amber is a perfect ACDC Live at Donnington tone. Except that I can't play for shit!

One note- below the face plate, just to the right of the headstock in the pic is about a 1 inch dent on the cab and the tolex is a bit torn there. I suspect thats why it was refurbished, but I don' care. It sounds great- just a little birthmark!

I'll post more later if anyone is interested, and answer any questions anyone has.

Overall, I am very, very happy. More later- back to my "wedding night!" :headbanger
Attachments
photo(1).JPG
photo(1).JPG (446.47 KiB) Viewed 978 times
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded
Gibson Les Paul Classic Ebony
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Heritage Cherry Sunburst
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Heritage Light Burst
Gibson SG Standard-Heritage Cherry
Marshall SL5
Marshall JCM1C
Marshall JVM410HJS
Marshall Slash Cab w/ V30s
Marshall 425A
Voodoo Modded Marshall JVM 410
Marshall 1960AV Loaded with V30/G12H30
Axe Fx II
Atomic 50/50 Power Amp
Run into All Cabs

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: "We Interupt this Wedding Night..." JVMJS Love

Postby surfnorthwest » 22 Apr 2013, 15:14

Enjoy man, it is a great amp. I understand its hard to figure a favorite mode. What I amp doing is adjust OD1 for Strat and OD2 for LP.

Lot of amp man, I love them.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Alpeggio
Secret Blueser
Secret Blueser
Has Liked: 5144 times
Been liked: 3146 times

Re: "We Interupt this Wedding Night..." JVMJS Love

Postby Alpeggio » 23 Apr 2013, 03:15

Congrats, I played one a few times and what struck me was it sounds fantastic straight away, no endless fiddling and tweaking like I had to do with my 410C.
Al
SV20 Plexi, JTM45, YJM plexi, KK800, JTM60, JTM1, JMP1, JCM1, DSL1, JVM1.

Return to “Marshall JVM”