Moderator: longfxukxnhair

timcrawford
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Restocked JVM205h purchase

Postby timcrawford » 09 Nov 2013, 10:15

The JVM205h is the second amp I have bought from Musicians Friend that was a restock, the first was a VM2466. Have not gone wrong yet with restocks. Both amps arrived well packed and looked and smelled new. Both times now the accessory pack and the pedals were sealed. Didn't need the amp as I have a VM, Just wanted to play around with the JVM to say I have and to try dual amps. Purchased a Radial Engineering Big Shot at the same time to use as a amp switcher and to run both amps at the same time. Running the JVM to the 425a cab and the VM to the 425b cab. Just way to many tonal variations between the two amps now, is mind blowing. My favorite so far is the JVM clean/crunch on Orange and using the VM to just give a 3d texture to the tone.
Just wish I could play well enough to record what I am hearing. In the mean time Griff Hamlin's 4 note solo lessons sound better now.
I am far from an expert but so far I like the REVERB and the high gain capabilities on the JVM over the VM. For what I play both amps are great, together even better.

Currently I have the THD Hotplates out of the speaker path. I have noticed very little tonal changes with them in. I do notice less top end hiss with the THD's in the path. Still undecided if I should use them or not.

I like the build of the Radial Engineering amp switcher going to get their instrument selector next.

The real issue I have is my room is to small I really need a larger practice room.
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266 with 425a/425b
Marshall JVM205h (BrOke) with vertical 2x12 with Texas Heat and Swamp Thing ** 30 pedals ** 8 and 18 ohm THD Hotplate's
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Goldtop ** Epiphone 56 Gold Top with RS Guitars Electronics and BG Pups upgrades
Fender Special Run Telecaster ** Samick Lasalle Greg Benette ** Dunlop Jazz III **
Sold: Fender Hotrod and Egnator tweater
Level: Super Beginner
Style: Blues

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: Restocked JVM205h purchase

Postby surfnorthwest » 09 Nov 2013, 11:19

Congrats, we all need a bigger room don't we. I am also very impressed with gear from Radial, I use their JD7 Injector. The VM and JVM are very different in tone, its a good match.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

LiveFreeOrDie
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 73 times
Been liked: 279 times

Re: Restocked JVM205h purchase

Postby LiveFreeOrDie » 09 Nov 2013, 11:46

Nice! I love both of those amps.
Many Marshall's, and I want more.

timcrawford
<25
<25

Changed preamp tubes

Postby timcrawford » 13 Nov 2013, 07:58

While I had the JVM205h apart because of a loose transformer that was causing a buzzing noise I replaced all the preamp slots with preferred 7025 tubes from the tube store. I had bought double of each tube I tested for some reason. I had them lying around from when I was experimenting with tubes in my VM. In the 5 minutes I played before work I really couldn't tell a difference on the clean/crunch channel. The clean may have been more shrill. Not sure as I was using P90's instead of 57' humbuckers this morning.

Thinking of doing the choke mod. Left the amp apart so I could play around with preamp tubes and possibly add a choke.

After a week I am sort of wishing I would have bought the JVM before the VM. Would have ended up with a VM anyways but I have had more fun with the JVM.
Marshall JVM205h (BrOke) with vertical 2x12 with Texas Heat and Swamp Thing ** 30 pedals ** 8 and 18 ohm THD Hotplate's
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Goldtop ** Epiphone 56 Gold Top with RS Guitars Electronics and BG Pups upgrades
Fender Special Run Telecaster ** Samick Lasalle Greg Benette ** Dunlop Jazz III **

timcrawford
<25
<25

Mods ordered for JVM205h

Postby timcrawford » 14 Nov 2013, 18:49

Called Mercury Magnetics and spoke to Jim, he was very helpful and recommend the MAR100-C Choke. Also received info on the output transformer for the JVM205H, uses the output transformer spec'd for the 205C. Jim suggest I order through JMI music.
So I called JMI, and as it turns out another JIm there answered the phone, he was on his way home for the day. But you know he said he would send me a quote when he got home and I could paypal the funds! Jim was true to his words had a quote in a few minutes.
Just sent the funds for the choke and transformer!

Will be interesting to see if I will hear a difference.

I guess if anything I can add the mods to my signature block and call it a day.

I like to tinker with things so they JVM is being tinkered on. I will never sale the amp, one of my great grand kids will inherit upon my departure. Hopefully it will be a great great grand kid! Laugh...

Return to “Marshall JVM”