Moderator: longfxukxnhair

GuitarGuy10
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Sold my JVM HJS

Postby GuitarGuy10 » 19 Feb 2014, 20:02

Mats A wrote:Guess what! I sold my JVM HJS some time ago. We were gonna do a Kiss gig and i had used the JVM HJS for some gigs earlier but not on a real hard rock gig. When rehearsing for the Kiss gig i found i really didn´t like the amp. It lacks bottom end and still is a bit to gainy to my taste. The crunch orange is said to be much like a 2203 but according to my brother the curcuit is quite different. The JCM 900 SL-X sounds much better i think. I believe there is more meat in the tone on the older Marshalls. These newer ones seems treblier and lacks bottom end. They are also a bit thin sounding. I know many of you wont agree to this. But now i got my SL-X, Plexi reissue and the AFD. I know i sometimes would need a two channel amp. But both the SL-X and the Plexi cleans up nicely if you turn down the volume on the guitar. Maybe i will sell the AFD.
You must have done something wrong. That makes little sense. The JVM410HJS is very thick and rich, almost too thick with a Les Paul and Greenbacks. Makes no sense how you could ever call it thin?! Yikes,

Mats A
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 108 times
Been liked: 199 times

Postby Mats A » 21 Feb 2014, 06:48

Well, i´ve had a few Marshall amps in my day so i don´t think i did something wrong. But i thought so at the time when playing. Since then i´ve bought another JVM HJS since i missed the amp. Yes you´re right it´s quite thick sounding. I recorded a Plexi Reissue, JCM 900 SL-X and the JVM HJS and i think the JVM HJS is closer in tone to the Plexi than the SL-X. It has got more of that open sound. Listening to Satriani it sometimes reminds me of early 80´s Van Halen.

GuitarGuy10
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Postby GuitarGuy10 » 21 Feb 2014, 17:40

Not sure what you are talking about. First it was thin and now it is thick? I hate Van Halen tone, but I love the Satriani head. I may end up with another Bogner or Mesa or Orange.

Mats A
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 108 times
Been liked: 199 times

Postby Mats A » 22 Feb 2014, 14:02

When i rehearsed for the Kiss gig i thought it sounded thin. At least it felt like that since the tone of an amp is much in the feel you get when you play it. But then after listening and some recordings i think it sounds pretty fat. Simple as that.

Return to “Marshall JVM”