Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Mats A
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 108 times
Been liked: 199 times

JVM 410H vs. JVM 410HJS

Postby Mats A » 19 Dec 2014, 05:33

Lately i´ve done some comparing between the standard and Satriani JVM. I think the gain levels on the HJS is better but there is something in the tone especially when playing chords that doesn´t sound so good to my ears. It´s like some low mid boost in the tone. It makes the distortion sound not so good on the low strings. It´s like there is too little treble going in the circuit before distortion. It lacks bite and feels a bit stiff. The notes doesn´t jump out like on most Marshalls. I thuink the HJS feels more compressed than the standard JVM. Also even though i seldom use reverb i miss it on the HJS. I´m no noise gate user. The HJS isn´t so noisy as the standard one so you don´t need the noise gate on the HJS if you don´t use very much overdrive. Satriani is mostly a single string player and he likes the 6100 clean with a distortion pedal. That must say something where his tone preferences are.
This is just my opinion. I´ve had two JVM HJS. But if i were to buy a JVM i think i´d go with the standard one. It´s got more of the classic Marshall tone.

Alpeggio
Secret Blueser
Secret Blueser
Has Liked: 5144 times
Been liked: 3146 times

Re: JVM 410H vs. JVM 410HJS

Postby Alpeggio » 19 Dec 2014, 07:27

Mats, you might be right, for your style of play, but perhaps you should wait and see what Marshall are Finally bringing out at Namm. It might be just what you've been looking for.
Al
SV20 Plexi, JTM45, YJM plexi, KK800, JTM60, JTM1, JMP1, JCM1, DSL1, JVM1.

Mike_LA
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 712 times
Been liked: 455 times

Postby Mike_LA » 19 Dec 2014, 08:09

I am in envy of your ears and the ability to hear such differences ...

I need to have someone come to my "studio" and tell what I am listening for/to from my gear.

:scared2
6101 // DSL-1H // JVM-1H // DSL1C // AVT50 // JTM30 // MS-2 // Vox // Orange // Fender // Avid // Peavy // :Thumbs

Mats A
Knighted
Knighted

JVM 410H vs. JVM 410HJS

Postby Mats A » 19 Dec 2014, 09:02

Well Mike_LA it's not that hard. The difference between these amps is rather obvious. You know i've had many different Marshalls. Too many really.

Alpeggio i've decided to whatever Marshall is putting out to wait until i've really tried it and to see what other players say about it. I don't think buying it just because Marshall is putting out something new and it looks good is such a good idea. Better wait and take it easy. It can look so good sometimes but then it ain't so good. I remember the YJM. We don't even know what Marshall is comming out with.
I do think the HJS is not an amp for playing riffs. To me there is something that doesn't sound good. The amp feels stiff and there's no real bite. It sounds too smooth and kind of a bit like a distortion pedal. It's not so dynamic though it should be. It may suit Satriani but he's not really a hard rock guitarist. In Chickenfoot i believe he uses the Mid Shift since he used the JVM 210 before.

Marker
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 393 times
Been liked: 321 times

Postby Marker » 19 Dec 2014, 15:24

Thanks for your toughts.
I never had the chance to try the original JVM but I feel the same about you regarding the JS.

The thing is a lot of guitar players love the JVM JS over the regular JVM.
There's no way to please everyone of us and it all comes down to your personal taste and style of playing.
Fortunatelly Marshall has a rich catalogue of both classic and modern amps, they sell amps that can please any guitar player; whatever Marshall tube amp you choose they all have a flavor of the Marshall tradition/tone on them so it's up to you to find what suits you the best.

For me on the current range there's nothing like a JCM 800 2203 but I'm also ok with the DSL. The JVM isn't for me but it is for Joe Satriani and for Dave Mustaine, 2 top guitar players among many others who use the JVM series.

Plus aparently Marshall's about to launch new amps to add to their rich catalgue - thing's will get even better!

Mats A
Knighted
Knighted

JVM 410H vs. JVM 410HJS

Postby Mats A » 19 Dec 2014, 23:31

Well both have their place. But the HJS is suited to Satrianis playing style. The standard JVM is like the 2203 or any standard Marshall made to suite many different players. Still all of these has some version of the tone people who plays Marshall is used to. I had the HJS and it worked fine first. Played Rolling Stones and Springsteen so i mostly used Clean Orange and Red or Crunch Green. Then i started rehearsing for a Kiss gig. It was then i discovered that i couldn't get a good tone for that. The amp just didn't cut. It felt smooth and there was a verty soft attack. It also got som low mid bark a bit like a wah wah lite on. That makes single notes sounding fatter but chords not getting any bite. If you turn up the treble it sounds even worse. The mid shift is different on the HJS and not so good in my opinion. It takes away too much bottom end. It becomes rather bassless.

Pat6969
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Postby Pat6969 » 24 Dec 2014, 09:50

That's funny, to my ears the 410H is horrible, sounds very fizzy and noisy. I love all the channels of my HJS and the gates are deadly. I can go from 80`s to 90`s to 2000`s and love every change. I did hate it through my V30 cab and G12H cab though, love it through my G12T-75 1960 cab. I think it`s my keeper amp, which for me is saying lots.

Mats A
Knighted
Knighted

Postby Mats A » 24 Dec 2014, 14:02

Good you like it. Maybe you like the same things in an amp Satriani does. I've had two and i've A/B it to a SL-X a Plexi Reissue and a DSL and the amp lacks attack bite and sounds like the top end has been filtered away wich it has. The standard JVM doesn't sound fizzy if you don't have too much gain and doesn't turn the treble up to much. That goes with most high gain amps v

Pat6969
<25
<25

Postby Pat6969 » 26 Dec 2014, 22:15

I think that's why I hate most Marshall's, the top end ear splitting sizzle!! Lol!! I love my HJS, that's all, just love it. I giggle every time I turn it on.

Mats A
Knighted
Knighted

JVM 410H vs. JVM 410HJS

Postby Mats A » 27 Dec 2014, 08:57

You see it suits you then. I know some guitar players that every time they play a Marshall they set the treble and presence to 0. But i've learnt that the treble is what makes it work in a band so you cut through and hear yourself. Especially when you play with another guitarist. But you should be careful not to turn it up too much.

Marker
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 393 times
Been liked: 321 times

Postby Marker » 29 Dec 2014, 08:31

To cut/stand out in a mix with a 2 guitar players band you need a little extra volume and pick attack, which is usually associated with mids and higher frequencies.

Anyway for as good as an eq might be, no eq that I know changes radically the amps basic voicing and feel. When I had the JVM HJS I was always dialing the knobs, maximizing the mids, treble, presence, cutting all the resonance and even the gain. Still the pick attack wasn't there.

But as Pat6969 prooves, the JVM HJS is a dream come true to many players.

There's nothing in the world that pleases everyone. Fortunatelly Marshall's big range of tube amps can please every kind of guitar player while maintaning the traditional Marshall basic tone in all of them.

Pat6969
<25
<25

Postby Pat6969 » 09 Jan 2015, 09:07

Marker wrote:To cut/stand out in a mix with a 2 guitar players band you need a little extra volume and pick attack, which is usually associated with mids and higher frequencies.

Anyway for as good as an eq might be, no eq that I know changes radically the amps basic voicing and feel. When I had the JVM HJS I was always dialing the knobs, maximizing the mids, treble, presence, cutting all the resonance and even the gain. Still the pick attack wasn't there.

But as Pat6969 prooves, the JVM HJS is a dream come true to many players.

There's nothing in the world that pleases everyone. Fortunatelly Marshall's big range of tube amps can please every kind of guitar player while maintaning the traditional Marshall basic tone in all of them.
For me it was a God send!! I wanted a Marshall badly but just couldn't find one I liked. I really enjoy the Mesa/Randall high gain tones but wanted something more versatile. When I tried the HJS I just knew it was "the one". It has some excellent high gain tones as well as shimmering cleans and everything in between. I actually have my res. and pres. at 12 o'clock, my bass at 1 o'clock, my mids at 11 o'clock, treble at 1-2 o'clock and my gain between 1 & 2. Those settings are pretty close for channels 3 and 4, they might move slightly but not too much. I dial up the mid and treble a bit on channel 2 for that traditional Marshall Plexi and 800ish tone. I find those setting used in the different modes with the mid shift gives me all the tones I need. I ended up cranking it through a 4x12 with V30's. I like the sound of the G12T's at bedroom level but when I crank it the V30's ripped!!

Mats A
Knighted
Knighted

Postby Mats A » 09 Jan 2015, 23:44

Great you enjoy your HJS! So it is every amp isn't for everybody. But i do believe the regular Marshalls has a more traditional Marshally voicing than the Signatures. I think the HJS can only sound like a HJS so you might get a similar 800 or some other Marshall tone. But that is possible on other Marshalls as well.

Return to “Marshall JVM”