Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Mats A
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 108 times
Been liked: 199 times

JVM + Booster

Postby Mats A » 12 Feb 2015, 15:56

I must say i tried my JVM with a Boss 10 Band eq with similar curves like i've seen on pictures with Eddie Van Halen and Tom Scholz. I tried them on Crunch Red and OD1 Green and i got in the ballpark of Toms tone. But it was far from Eddies. The closest to him was having a flat curve and only boosting signal. Then came the most funny part. Since i didn't like these mid boosted tones so much i plugged in the Booster my brother built a long time ago instead of the Boss eq. Then i played on OD1 Green, gain on 8 and switched on the booster. What a great tone i got. Fat and rich. Maybe it's really better to have less gain on an amp and use something to get that last oomph. If you already have all the gain and more it's hard to use any booster or drive pedals. Turning down on the gain and then use a booster seldom sounds that great. Also most clean channels is made to sound clean and doesn't break up that nicely if you boost them.

Skickas från min iPhone via Tapatalk

Blokkadeleider
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 750 times
Been liked: 415 times

Re: JVM + Booster

Postby Blokkadeleider » 12 Feb 2015, 16:07

I think most of the big guys do that, less gain on the amp, boost in front. Whether it's an EQ, TS9/808 or something else. It generally gives it that little extra punch that makes the sound stand out.

Gr,

Gerrit.

Mats A
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 108 times
Been liked: 199 times

Re: JVM + Booster

Postby Mats A » 13 Feb 2015, 03:10

You can also tailor and sculpt your tone more. Back in the 60s and 70s guitarists had to make there tone work for them. The amps didn't have a lot of gain and things. That is also why they had much more personal tones then. Now they sound more alike. Less personal sounds.

Return to “Marshall JVM”