dan_tramble
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

RedPlating JVM after retube with FX loop "on"

Postby dan_tramble » 15 Mar 2015, 07:17

Hi All

I am looking for some advice/opinions. I bought a USED Marshall JVM 410H (2008 MY) and decided to retube it to get it to "good tone"

I went V1-5 TAD 12AX7 WA/TAD 12AX7-C/TAD 7025S/TAD7025S/JJ ECC803S

In the power section I installed 4 JJ EL34L (tubedepot 38 hardness) matched quad with 24 hour burn in (Just like my trusty DSL 100 JCM 2000) Great luck

Let the amp run 2-3 hours and set BIAS to 70% with my dual BIAS PROBES. I ran it at home at 1 MV and yesterday was the first day I used it at band practice after "tone hunting on the amp" overall I really like the amp

Sad to say, I did encounter a problem

I run a BOSS DD3 delay, I tried "the loop" not the power amp loop but the other loop. I set the stitch to recommended -10 dB and started to play with it. The volume started to drop in the amp and I then went to the tubes to see.

The pair closest the power transformer (looking through the grille) were REDPLATING!!!! I immediately shut off the amp and pulled the loop cables and took it out 110%

Waited 3 minutes, refired back up and all 4 tubes were the nice usual colour. I ran it for 3 hours jamming on MV 3-4 and didn't have a problem after that.

Whats the deal? I checked the plate voltage and adjusted off 70% of that This method has worked for every other amp I've owned (I don't believe this to be a BIAS issue)

Could it be the V3/4 preamp tubes that control the loop????

The amp came back no worries and sounded great however I DID NOT USE THE FX LOOP AFTER THAT

I'm just scared now, I was contemplating getting a BOSS NS-2 for the gate as well, I really love OD1/2 on orange and the gain set to 2 on the dial and the channel volumes at 5 or higher and I've read a noise suppressor can cure those "squealies" however I am very reluctant now to put anything ever again into the loop

Could the loop be the issue or could it be something totally different....

Thanks In Advance

Dan

Return to “Marshall JVM”