Moderator: longfxukxnhair

xanderbullets29
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

jvm 410hjs 212 cab speaker recommendation

Postby xanderbullets29 » 05 Feb 2018, 07:56

hey all....been a while....after 2 yrs of not playing my satch jvm, i decided to give it a go yesterday and i figured out how to make this thing work for me.... i currently have an open back 212 made of pine with wgs et-65's in em and would like to see what other speaker combos could i go for....open to suggestions....!

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: jvm 410hjs 212 cab speaker recommendation

Postby surfnorthwest » 05 Feb 2018, 08:14

If you stick to a 2x12 cabinet then you have to make sure both speakers give you a sum of at least 100 watts, that narrows you choices.

If you play drop tunings and metal go with G12T 75 speakers

If you play simply hard rock go with Vintage 30s

If you play more blues and classic rock go with a pair of 75hz Creambacks.

Of course you could mix any of the speakers listed above.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

xanderbullets29
<25
<25

Postby xanderbullets29 » 05 Feb 2018, 11:04

Thanks Surf! I don't play any drop tuned stuff. I'm thinking of paring the et-65 with a vintage 30 speaker. Thoughts?

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 05 Feb 2018, 13:41

Vin 30s always is a great choice, thats what I had paired with my HJS
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Green Manalishi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby Green Manalishi » 06 Feb 2018, 10:29

I used the et65 and v30 combo a while back in a 212.

Sounds good together for rock.

I really like the Creamback 75hz, and that would be my pick in this situation.

The ultimate for me is two celestion golds, but I would worry about wattage handling if you crank it.
Crossroadsnyc douche of the year, and everyone at TGP tied for 2nd

billy
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 484 times
Been liked: 113 times

Postby billy » 08 Feb 2018, 14:03

I use a pair of 12" Celestion Golds in a 2x12 closed back cab made by Zinky with all my amps, including my JVM410H-JS. To my ear, the Golds do everything well. They seem to let me hear the distinct and unique character of each amp, including my Dr. Z's, Marshalls, Mesas, Avatar variants, Blackstars, Bugeras, Fender Mustang 3, peavey Miniheads, and a few others. For years prior to the Golds, I relied on my ElectroVoice/EVM12L's, which are almost as transparent. I put a 10" Gold in my Mesa 1x10 Express and it was like taking a blanket off that amp; it is now a keeper!

And its good to be aware of wattage handling and I test for that too. After HJS arrived and I finished checking it out, I played it full volume through the 2 golds with OSHA rated industrial headphones on for about 30 minutes, which is all my ear could take and the Golds came out unscathed. I don't expect to repeat this test again as the industrial grade headphones couldn't even keep the sound level of the HJS down to anything tolerable. My Golds are 2nd, maybe 3rd year production and rated at 50 watts, so do check the rating for the speakers you decide to keep.

Make sure you break in the Golds to get their full value.

Also please note that since owning the Golds, I have stopped looking for other speakers, so I have no direct expereince with the Creambacks or some of the other newer Celestions.

Since Amazon started selling speakers a number of years ago, I started buying my speakers from them through the Prime program. All brands, kinds in most price ranges. Sometimes they cost a little more, but Prime speakers have a 30 day return policy and since I am in Alaska, my ability to check out speakers in person was severly limited, so Amazon worked well for me. Plus, they often have great speakers discounted in the Amazon Warehouse deals section. Again, if you want to experiment, buy speakers sold through the Prime program so you can play them for 3+ weeks and then return them for free and a full refund if you don't find they are as advertised.

My other thought on speakers is that most speakers, to my ear, do one or two things well by adding their own coloring to the amp sound. This is what some players look for, but I much prefer and enjoy the Golds becuase they let the unique character of each amp shine through. And the HJS has many, many unique and beautiful and brutal tones.

As a side note, I retubed and rebiased one of my HJS's with a Quad of new JJ 6CA7's and I was stunned by the increased clarity and range and other sound improvements I cannot describe in words, that the 6CA7's offer over the various EL34 Quads I had tried previously (Amazon Prime and Warehouse deals is good for tube experimentation, as well).

Trust your ear. You'll find the right speakers for you.
---
Ceriatone British Style All Access Plexi 51 Head
Boss Katana Artist MKII
Mesa Vertical 2x12 cab with Celestion Golds
ESP KH-602 w/ EMGs
ESP-LTD PB-401 w/ Stock SD P-Rails
Boss GT-1000

xanderbullets29
<25
<25

Postby xanderbullets29 » 09 Feb 2018, 07:20

Thanks for the input guys....Billy will the Golds sound good through a 212 open back pine cab? I ask this since you mentioned that you have a 212 closed back cab. Thanks!

billy
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby billy » 09 Feb 2018, 20:04

xanderbullets29 wrote:....Billy will the Golds sound good through a 212 open back pine cab? I ask this since you mentioned that you have a 212 closed back cab. Thanks!
Maybe...I was happy with my Golds in my open back Mesa 2x12 Lone Star cab but I think this cab is birch, not pine. So as far as 2x12 Golds in pine, xanderbullets29, I don't know.

Hopefully another member will have experience with Golds in a 2x12 pine cab or help with the different sonic characteristics of birch and pine.
---
Boss Katana Artist MKII
ESP KH-602 w/ EMGs
Boss GT-1000

billy
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby billy » 11 Feb 2018, 13:03

Hey xanderbullets29,

Dr Z has a great and informative video on 2x12 cabs here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3g1suBhsJc

Dr. Z does a much better job than I could do explaining the differences between open back, ported, and closed back 2x12 cabs and why you may want one over the other.

Also, years ago I owned a Mesa Thiele 1x12 cab with an EVL12 in it that could keep up in volume and in dynamics with the various 2x12 and 4x12 Marshall closed back cabs my musician friends owned, at least until our volume(s) got too high to tolerate for very long with the naked ear. Beyond that I don't know. It was a great cab and I used it for many years until I was seduced by newer speaker technology that just turned out to old speaker technology in a prettier package.

This looks similar to the Thiele cab I owned:

http://www.mesaboogie.com/cabinets--sim ... orted.html

Good luck, and once you find the cab and cab you like best, please let me know.
---
Boss Katana Artist MKII
ESP KH-602 w/ EMGs
Boss GT-1000

Green Manalishi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby Green Manalishi » 20 Feb 2018, 11:46

Celestion golds IME sound better through open back cabs.
I made my 4x12 open back, and it sound glorious with the golds. Nice full balanced sound that encompasses the room instead of a beam in front
Crossroadsnyc douche of the year, and everyone at TGP tied for 2nd

Return to “Marshall JVM”