Moderator: longfxukxnhair

GoldFacePlate
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Here it is: Vintage Modern vs JVM 410

Postby GoldFacePlate » 03 Apr 2010, 14:12

I'm looking for your advise from the VM pro's here. I've read alot here and have heard alot of sound clips.

I am currently hunting out a new amp/cab setup. I have tried over 20 amp and cab set ups and have come home to a Marshall (doesn't that happen to most of us!)
:clap

anyways, I was pretty set on a JVM410 head through a mesa rectifier cab (vintage 30's), however I have recently fallen in love with the VM head. This is truly a tone machine, and very distinct.

I play everything from brit 60's rock to modern metal, so naturally I thought a JVM high gain modern amp fits the bill with tonnes of gain on tap, versatility, and control.
The VM on the otherhand is versatile in a minimalistic way, which is nice too, but really, I think the VM produces better tones overall. :Thumbs The major CON for me is I have yet to see a VM produce a tight and articulate metal tone from say.. Metallica or modern metal. Mabye with pedals though, on paper it looks good but I have not tried this, and this gets into another ball-game.

So i guess, my question is: Can the VM produce great overdrive with or without pedal that is on par with JVM (OD1 red setting for example).
So if costs work out, this could be my answer.

Alternatively, if I slap some KT66 tubes in the JVM, at the least, would I be able to start approaching VM tonal warmth, flavours.

Looking for all your thoughts and suggestions. thanks.

Green Manalishi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 30 times

Re: Here it is: Vintage Modern vs JVM 410

Postby Green Manalishi » 03 Apr 2010, 14:55

The VM can do it, look for a clip from Surf, I believe he used a Metal Muff, and it sounded really good.

Get the 2466, it has a tighter bottom than the 2266. If the metal tone is your primary tone, the VM may not be for you.

I much prefer the VM overdrive tone to the JVM. I guess that's why I own the VM.

Another thing, if you are used to getting different tones stepping on a fooswitch and always leaving your volume/tone knobs on 10, the VM will take getting used to. Not a big deal, you just learn better control of your instrument, which I think ultimately improves your tone and your playing.
Crossroadsnyc douche of the year, and everyone at TGP tied for 2nd

Taz5150
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Taz5150 » 03 Apr 2010, 15:10

+1 for the last post. The big difference playing a single channel VM is the guitar provides the all the tonal and volume variations. Using a JVM or similar the different channels can be set up and then switched in and out using the footswitch, the amp then provides the tonal and volume variations. Rob

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 03 Apr 2010, 15:21

I don't think you can put KT66s in a JVM without some serious mods, I think those also would ruin that amps tone. When I hear people say Metal well there are so many levels of that genre. The VM in High range can absolutly play Metal it is just a question if the tone is heavy enough for you.

I wouldn't be so fast to dismiss using a pedal as the VM takes pedal very well. If you are only needing those metal tones for a few songs why sacrifice owning a great amp like the VM, just use a metal pedal in front while keeping the amp in low dynamic range.

Here is a little demo of the 2466 with the EH pocket metal muff, I think this pedal as well as other metal pedals would get you there.
Attachments
mmdemo.mp3
demo of EH metal muff
(4.14 MiB) Downloaded 4469 times
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

CBoothe
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Has Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 17 times

Postby CBoothe » 03 Apr 2010, 16:21

I had a JVM 410 that I really really wanted to like. In the end I sold it and went back to the VM for two reasons.

The first is my own quirk- I tend to fiddle too much and with the JVM and it's 4 channels, 3 modes per channel, my guitar time was like this: What about this pedal with this channel with this eq, or this channel, this mode with this eq and this pedal. it was honestly too much variety for me.

My biggest complaint though was the noise. Anything over OD green and to me and my skill levels it was just mush. I tried an ISP G string which worked great, but in the end I opted for the 1 channel VM. I threatened my wife with divorce if she ever lets me sell it. :high

It's obviously a kick ass amp though with plenty of people who swear by it. Just not for me. If you haven't already, check out the JVM forum here:

http://jvmforum.com/
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded
Gibson Les Paul Classic Ebony
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Heritage Cherry Sunburst
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Heritage Light Burst
Gibson SG Standard-Heritage Cherry
Marshall SL5
Marshall JCM1C
Marshall JVM410HJS
Marshall Slash Cab w/ V30s
Marshall 425A
Voodoo Modded Marshall JVM 410
Marshall 1960AV Loaded with V30/G12H30
Axe Fx II
Atomic 50/50 Power Amp
Run into All Cabs

Slashwannabe1
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 182 times
Been liked: 98 times

Postby Slashwannabe1 » 03 Apr 2010, 16:44

GoldFacePlate wrote: The major CON for me is I have yet to see a VM produce a tight and articulate metal tone from say.. Metallica or modern metal
Now you have

Straight Guitar and Amp. No pedals in the clip except a delay pedal and a true bypass crybaby wah only for the solo.

Me using a the VM on a modern speed metal song:

Many people lack the tightness on their lowend due to cranking the body up past 5 and almost everyone I see on youtube using a VM does this. All that is needed is a nice dose of body anywhere from 1-4.5 and a good sounding guitar and fine tuning on the eq to shape the rest of the sound.
Amplifiers: Marshall 2555x 100watt Silver Jubilee Full Stack with matching 2551AV & 2551BV 8x12 70 watt Vintage 30 speakers.
Marshall 2466 100watt Vintage Modern w/ Matching 425A cab
1966 Fender Bandmaster
Effects: MXR:M234 Analog Chorus, Phase90, Slash Octave Fuzz, Slash SC95 Wah. BOSS: RV-3 & DD3 Reverb & Delay, GE-7 EQ,NS-2 Noise Suppressor, CS-3 Compression Sustainer
Guitars: 6 Les Pauls with Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 Pro Pickups.

GoldFacePlate
<25
<25

Postby GoldFacePlate » 03 Apr 2010, 17:51

Slashwannabe1 wrote:
GoldFacePlate wrote: The major CON for me is I have yet to see a VM produce a tight and articulate metal tone from say.. Metallica or modern metal
Now you have

Straight Guitar and Amp. No pedals in the clip except a delay pedal and a true bypass crybaby wah only for the solo.

I've heard these clips already. They sound great for just the amp alone, but I'm looking for more overdrive that that, and perhaps even more tightness in the bottem end. I thought the EH Big Muff pedal mentioned above ended up adding its own flavours ontop of the VM tone which I didn't like. I guess the trick is to find a good OD pedal that does not add its own tonal characteristics to the VM tone.

I have read the JVM forums too. The JVM's take KT66 well, no sweat, but KT77 or KT88 and the amp will need some tweaking.

Slashwannabe1
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 182 times
Been liked: 98 times

Postby Slashwannabe1 » 03 Apr 2010, 18:25

GoldFacePlate wrote:
Slashwannabe1 wrote:
Now you have

I've heard these clips already. They sound great for just the amp alone, but I'm looking for more overdrive that that, and perhaps even more tightness in the bottem end.
I had pre amp volumes Detail set at 7 and Body at 3 on those clips. So theres quite a bit more room for more gain let alone if you use a eq like a Boss GE-7 or MXR-10 to boost the gain through the roof. If I were to Dime the detail and roll back the mids a bit and slightly bump the Body a bit you'd get text book Metallica Black Album tone. I have my mids at 7 to get a bit more bite than low end growl. With the detail dimed you definitely get more definition in the tightness of your sound, and theres definitely a huge gain difference from 7-10 on the detail knob.

I could record a clip for you tomorrow that will be set strictly for Metal and not the cross over metal/hard rock I do, I would do one tonight but my neighbors won't like me at this hour of the night if I crank the amp. Remember your pick ups are just as important to low end tightness as amplifier definition is. I notice a bit of a compressed tone with my alnico 2s compared to my buddies dimebucker equipped guitar which was made to do Metal riffs and sounds. As heard here- same amplifier gain settings in all clips on my youtube page except this clip has a Dimebucker equipped Guitar.

Most guys doing specific Metal tones like Metallica Black Album probably are using EMGs, Dimebuckers or some other Metal pickup to easily achieve that sound and not low/medium output pickups like the Alnico 2 pros that I used on those clips. With that said I still believe the gain in those clips is melting even for Metal standards.
Amplifiers: Marshall 2555x 100watt Silver Jubilee Full Stack with matching 2551AV & 2551BV 8x12 70 watt Vintage 30 speakers.
Marshall 2466 100watt Vintage Modern w/ Matching 425A cab
1966 Fender Bandmaster
Effects: MXR:M234 Analog Chorus, Phase90, Slash Octave Fuzz, Slash SC95 Wah. BOSS: RV-3 & DD3 Reverb & Delay, GE-7 EQ,NS-2 Noise Suppressor, CS-3 Compression Sustainer
Guitars: 6 Les Pauls with Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 Pro Pickups.

VMGravy
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 4 times

Postby VMGravy » 03 Apr 2010, 18:42

Green Manalishi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby Green Manalishi » 03 Apr 2010, 23:43

A Boss SD1 or a TS9 in front used as a boost would tighten up the low end too, plus give you more gain.
Crossroadsnyc douche of the year, and everyone at TGP tied for 2nd

amon
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby amon » 04 Apr 2010, 00:57

Forum member Erik van Hyde has some badass tones as well

guitarkay
<25
<25

Postby guitarkay » 04 Apr 2010, 01:55

I have both JVM and 2466 and everytime I turn on the 410, I think what a wonderful variety of wonderful sounds it has. And then I turn to the 2466 and stick with it.
And I learned to play songs differently with the VM. Whatever the style, I typically use the bridge PU and just vary the degree of overdrive. Which has the nice side-effect that all my sounds on all songs are more alike and make it sound like one player, one guitar, one amp. With the very different sounds on the JVM, I was not able to find "my" profile soundwise. Like somebody metioned above, too many options that all want to be explored....

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Postby SteveD » 04 Apr 2010, 03:57

Welcome to the forum GoldFacePlate. :Thumbs

Keep the Body reasonably low and slam the front end with a suitable boost. Experiment with Mid Boost in or out. There is a wide range of tones available from the Vintage Modern's controls if you take the time to properly explore them. Check out the clips section for some great tones from our members here as well as various Youtube clips from others, baring in mind the clips will rarely convey the quality of the original tone 100%.
Still my guitar gently weeps

Julesman64
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Julesman64 » 04 Apr 2010, 07:56

I usually just pump up the volume on my MXR 10 band EQ, leaving the gain alone, and that is enough to boost me into metal territory. I personally think that the HDR has enough gain on tap for anything I would ever want to play.

Seems to me everytime I try to mess around with my pedal collection I end up with just my EQ, and my OCD. Period.
2266 Vintage Modern 50w Head, '83 JCM 800 2204 (Canadian Model), Mesa Boogie Studio .22+
425A Half Slant Cab, 1960 Lead w G12T-75's, Orange 2x12 w Vin 30's, '08 Boogie Dual Rectifier 100W,
'03 Gibson SG Standard, '05 Gibson Faded Flying V, '08 Partscaster Strat, '78 Les Paul Custom
MXR 10 Band EQ, MXR Comp, Fulltone OCD, Damage Control Glass Nexxus
Larrivee D-03

Mats A
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 108 times
Been liked: 199 times

Postby Mats A » 04 Apr 2010, 13:02

I have read the JVM forums too. The JVM's take KT66 well, no sweat, but KT77 or KT88 and the amp will need some tweaking.[/quote]

I´m not sure it will. The VM wont take EL34´s. You have to change the transformer if I´m correct.

Return to “Marshall JVM”