Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Green Manalishi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 30 times

Re: Here it is: Vintage Modern vs JVM 410

Postby Green Manalishi » 08 Apr 2010, 08:50

Sounds like the JVM will be the right one for you, Gold. Can't go wrong with that amp. Later on pickup a VM, then run 'em together!
Crossroadsnyc douche of the year, and everyone at TGP tied for 2nd

Slashwannabe1
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 182 times
Been liked: 98 times

Postby Slashwannabe1 » 08 Apr 2010, 13:29

slash-ed wrote:Haha, dude, you really love yourself don't you? I mean, who answers question like "I haven't heard the VM do X aggressive, tight tone... " with "Now you have." and posts a clip of themselves? I hesitate to even say, a clip of your band - calling a guitarist and a drummer a band is like saying, hey, me and my gang will beat you up, and your gang is you, your skinny little brother and your pet cat. :laugh And no, even if you could sing, the White Stripes still suck. :dance

Yes, thank you, full stacks push more air, I didn't know THAT :roll But when you're recording, if you've got a half decent isolation room, you can push a single speaker that hard if you want anyway. And like I've already said, no one mikes a whole damn full stack.

Yeah, you're right. I totally missed the point of what you were saying. In fact, I don't see the point in half the posts you make, except just to show off how much you think of yourself.
Ok first you rip on the fact that I have a 2 person band currently, yeah that comment of yours doesn't even effect me, because last week we made $400 for a 2 and a half hour set just me on guitar and my drummer Dylan at a jerk water bar with free drinks and bbq. I don't care what you want to call me and my drummer Dylan, we make good money gigging just the 2 of us :screwU

You are still an idiot on the recording studio analogy! A lot of bands these days are lucky if they aren't using a Pro Tools simulated amp sound! and the bands that are using real amplifiers are miked in at least 2 places, different axis positions off the speaker cab and another mic placed away from the amp somewhere else in the room to gather room and outside amplifier sound dynamics.

Ok so I'm Zakk Wylde and the first amplifier I'm thinking of using to record the most Beefy Rhythm is a 10 watt 1x12 Fender combo? yeah not likely buster, he's going with no less than his JCM 800 half stack for his studio metal tones. Besides who cites Zakk Wylde as having the typical Metal sound? You are obviously more out of touch with Metal than you thought I was!.

The "now you have comment" I made was valid. Many people aren't even aware the VM can exceed 1970s gain, and my clips trounce the amount 1970s gain would have been able to even dream about. Its not even anything I've done, its all the Vintage Moderns glory not mine! Thats where you fail in reading my posts you condescending prick!.

Oh and Gold, I would recommend you try the Marshall JDM-1 amplifier, many great tones to be found there!.
Amplifiers: Marshall 2555x 100watt Silver Jubilee Full Stack with matching 2551AV & 2551BV 8x12 70 watt Vintage 30 speakers.
Marshall 2466 100watt Vintage Modern w/ Matching 425A cab
1966 Fender Bandmaster
Effects: MXR:M234 Analog Chorus, Phase90, Slash Octave Fuzz, Slash SC95 Wah. BOSS: RV-3 & DD3 Reverb & Delay, GE-7 EQ,NS-2 Noise Suppressor, CS-3 Compression Sustainer
Guitars: 6 Les Pauls with Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 Pro Pickups.

GoldFacePlate
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Postby GoldFacePlate » 08 Apr 2010, 14:34

The verdict isn't out on the JDM-1 just yet, with so far too much negative reviews (usually from valve purists). I guess it will be a cool amp, and I will give it a shot as soon as I see one. Still I'm suprised to see how controversial Modeling amps can get, let alone VM's

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 08 Apr 2010, 15:17

Actually the verdict is in on the JMD and it is one great sounding versitle amp. Everyone that has tried it had very positive comments on it. Have you read anything here in the JMD section?

I have to say it again, the digital part of this amp cannot be compared to other modelers on the market, the technology is very different.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

mety
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby mety » 09 Apr 2010, 01:57

GoldFacePlate wrote:... so far too much negative reviews ...
The Vintage Modern took a while to be accepted by the 'Internet Community' where everyone is an 'expert'. But - when many major artists started using them, those same 'experts' saw the VM in a completely different way and started heaping their praises on to it!

I feel the JMD will provoke a similar reaction.
Give it time...
I really think its a future classic.
Gibson Les Paul 25/50 Anniversary Custom, Les Paul Custom, Les Paul Standard, SG Special Faded.
Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard Plus,
Custom-Made CH Iommi SG Standard.
Boss GT-10.
Marshall Vintage Modern 2466 (2007), ]JMP50 (1974), 2203 MkII Master Volume. (1979) Orange TH30 (2011)
Marshall Vintage Modern 425A, 425B (2007).
Marshall 1960A (1978) 1960B (1980). (G12T-75's)
http://www.sabbatica.co.uk

Taz5150
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Taz5150 » 10 Apr 2010, 07:14

If you like to fiddle and have the time to set up lots of different tones the JVM is cool. For me i have found a new dimension with the VM.... Simplicity !!! Less is definately more now !!! I have dumped a load of effects, which i have found were not neccessary and have gone back to a Strat, Wah (sometimes) and single channel amp 2266c 50w. Hell i have less stuff to carry around and my tone and understanding of the instrument is better too !!! I think sometimes we all chase the "ideal tone" and can overcomplicate things. I read that in the studio Metallica asked to get the Gary Moore tone from "Still got the blues", used a shit load of processors and stuff getting close to the sound. Gary Moore used his 5881 JTM/45, Les Paul and Mk 1 Guv'nor.....Less can be MOORE !!! Hehe ; ) Rob

everton_fc
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time

Postby everton_fc » 11 Apr 2010, 11:38

+1 on that post above. I've also rolled the body and detail rigght back, and diming the master volume on HDR the amp sounds soooo fat!
Send in your user reviews of your guitar equipment - http://www.guitarjar.co.uk/add-user-review/

http://www.guitarjar.co.uk - Online guitarist magazine & community

Mats A
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 108 times
Been liked: 199 times

Postby Mats A » 11 Apr 2010, 14:31

DeanM wrote:id say its the other way around, that it will take kt77s, cos they're a straight swap for el34s. but i havent read the jvm forums!
Wel,l he talked about putting KT66 valves in his JVM. KT77´s should work fine. Don´t lnow about the KT88´s.

Will it work to put KT88´s in a VM?

Tnjpekar
Gold Member
Gold Member
Been liked: 2 times

Postby Tnjpekar » 13 Apr 2010, 05:58

KT 77s work fine in a JVM, and actually have an impact on the tone of the amp, makes it sound more like a 6550 powered amp, a touch more glass if you will. also makes the bottom a bit more defined, and less smoothed out. I don't think the 66's are a direct drop in, nor would the 88's be without some modification to the amp

GoldFacePlate
<25
<25

Postby GoldFacePlate » 13 Apr 2010, 12:14

well alright now...
just bought the JVM....it's sick as can be. Looking forward to messing around with the KT77, and down the road with the KT66 if it can be done.
I'm still a fan of the VM now, don't get me wrong, but my path led to the JVM410. Will be back from time to time, especially if VM goes to two channels! :winking

Tnjpekar
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Tnjpekar » 13 Apr 2010, 12:34

in my main rig I run the VM2466 and the JVM410 in stereo thru a 1960av cab. my time based effects go thru the loop on the jvm, and I run it against my vm with anything from od2 red to clean green (very eric johnson sounding with a sweet chorus/echo patch from the lexi)
a voodoo labs amp switcher with the ground lift up for the jvm, and the rig is nice and quiet, but can make you cry or peel off your face at will.

Kongels
Been liked: 9 times

Postby Kongels » 13 Apr 2010, 14:29

Why can't we all just get along?

I am glad you found an amp that works for you man. I don't think there is a right or wrong but you are gonna find the guys on this forum telling you to go VM almost everytime. :numchucks

GoldFacePlate
<25
<25

Postby GoldFacePlate » 13 Apr 2010, 17:38

Kongels wrote:Why can't we all just get along?

I am glad you found an amp that works for you man. I don't think there is a right or wrong but you are gonna find the guys on this forum telling you to go VM almost everytime. :numchucks
I cant blame them, VM is a great amp. :smoker

Slash1337
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 29 times
Been liked: 78 times

Postby Slash1337 » 03 May 2011, 18:19

amon wrote:Forum member Erik van Hyde has some badass tones as well

Wow, I for one had no idea the VM was capable of that and I've had it for sooo long!!! I usually go witht he JVM for the more heavier metal stuff, and the VM for everything else.
"Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste"
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Marshall AFD100
Gibson R9 Faded Tobacco
60' Gibson Goldtop LP
Epiphone Elitist LP Custom
Marshall 1960TV w/ G12H Greenbacks
Crybaby Zakk Wylde
Dunlop Heil Talk Box

http://www.facebook.com/Deadrivalsofficial

spikei
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 2 times

Postby spikei » 26 Jul 2011, 13:43

Two totally different amp both good but i gig with the JVM because i find it more versatile, there's not much it cant do, - fx loop, power amp loop, DI, two master volumes, 'great for solo boost' three modes per channel, midi, programmable etc etc. got to be the most versatile amp on the market.
Marshall Vintage Modern Combo
Marshall JVM 215 Combo
Marshall JMD1 501 Combo
Marshall AVT 100 Combo
Marshall 1936 Cab
Gibson L P Studio
Fender Strat A Std
Fender Jv Squire Strat
Ibanez 59 Deluxe

Return to “Marshall JVM”