Moderator: longfxukxnhair

chukka09
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Goodbye VM, hello JVM!

Postby chukka09 » 18 Feb 2011, 14:21

Well guys, I guess I need to hand in my membership card here. I've finally parted ways with my 2266. After a year and a half of trying and trying and trying to love this amp (and by "trying" I mean swapping tubes, re-biasing, breaking in speakers, swapping cabs, swapping guitars, experimenting with OD pedals, distortion pedals, boost pedasl, cut pedals, eq pedals, yada yada yada ...) I just got honest with myself and decided it wasn't for me. It was just too limiting. And too grainy-sounding in HDR. Now LDR gave me some nice "Paul Kossoff" tones, but if I put an OD, distortion or boost pedal in front of it to get some "oomph", the lower notes got super sloshy. Basically, any time I was able to get it sounding decent on one end of the crunch spectrum, the other end was horrible. And the whole volume/tone balancing act between clean, crunch and lead was just, to me, impossible to live with. So I sold it.

Thankfully I got what I paid for it and was able to put that toward a killer deal on a good used JVM 410H. So far, I simply couldn't be happier. I'm a Marshall guy, for sure, and with this JVM, I'm able to get any Marshall sound I've ever wanted and then some. At least the way I hear the Marshall sounds in my own head. The tone and features of the JVM are simply all I could imagine needing in a single amp. Yeah, sure, it'd be nice to have an open-backed cab option or a Fender clean from time to time, but for one amp to do everything (and most of it extremely well, I might add), so far, this seems to be the one for me. And anyway, if I want a VM tone, I am completely confident I can dial one in with the JVM. But I haven't even tried because the natural voicing of this amp is ... well ... just better to my ears.

Hopefully, I'll feel the same as time goes on. I've learned time and again that using an amp over time in different scenarios is the only true test of how much you REALLY like it. We'll see I guess. But for now, I find myself looking forward to turning on my amp to play guitar instead of dreading having to waste more time tweaking and experimenting just to get a few usable tones. Even if for some reason I decide down the road to part ways with my JVM, I highly doubt I'll ever regret selling my VM.

To anyone who is reading this and is torn between buying a VM and buying a JVM, I say save yourself a huge headache and keep saving for the JVM. The used ones are coming down in price and eventually you'll score one.

Sorry if this post offends anyone.

Rock on guys.
Marshall JVM 410H through a Marshall 1960AV
Real McCoy Custom RMC-3 Wah
Sweet Sound Mojo Vibe
Boss DD-20 Delay

Slash1337
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 29 times
Been liked: 78 times

Re: Goodbye VM, hello JVM!

Postby Slash1337 » 18 Feb 2011, 14:37

I love both and own both! I was gonna sell the VM cause I thought I didn't need it anymore, but there is somehting about those KT66's that get me hard.. haha

I do however like the JVM a tad more because I find it more versatile, not to take away from the VM, both of them together is my tone heaven. Don't be sorry, the V can't be for everyone and I'm happy that you found an amp you love.
"Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste"
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Marshall AFD100
Gibson R9 Faded Tobacco
60' Gibson Goldtop LP
Epiphone Elitist LP Custom
Marshall 1960TV w/ G12H Greenbacks
Crybaby Zakk Wylde
Dunlop Heil Talk Box

http://www.facebook.com/Deadrivalsofficial

rabies
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby rabies » 18 Feb 2011, 14:44

The JVM I looked at quickly while shopping for a new (used) Marshall head. It is loaded with EL34 which up to that time was my favorite power tube. I now really like the dynamic feel and response to pick attack from the VM and/or KT66 tubes. I'm not sure I'd need more than three channels in a Marshall (I used a TSL100 in the band a while back, was decent but not stellar).

I'm worried about the cheap build quality of the new Marshalls. It's hard to beat the Mesa build quality and service but the Marshall sound is just sick generally speaking.

A used VM2266 for $700 seems like a great deal to me. And I find myself *not* tweaking the settings as much as I do with my S120 and definitely not as much as my ex-Mark IV.

Who actually uses the JVM in the pro league? Dave Mustaine I've heard uses it? and how are the cleans, must be worse than KT66 of course.
Rivera S120
Marshall VM 2266
Ibanez RG1570 (for sale)
Epi Elitist LP
Mesa 412
Genz-Benz 212

Slash1337
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Slash1337 » 18 Feb 2011, 16:23

Well actually the cleans I like waaaaaaaaaaay more than the Vintage Modern's. It's a different clean but I feel it's a lot cleaner and way smoother.

The slighty overdriven sound from the JVM is kinda glassy and thin (thats where the Vintage Modern comes in cause it has such a think driven sound). Does it matter who uses the amp in the pro circuit? Most of the people that say they "use" an amp usually have the amp they're actually using behind the ones that are "on" on stage. And some players even have the heads turned around so you can't see what they use anyways.

Everyone has their own taste dude.
Marshall AFD100
Gibson R9 Faded Tobacco
60' Gibson Goldtop LP
Crybaby Zakk Wylde
Dunlop Heil Talk Box

Beck-Ola
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 24 times
Been liked: 13 times

Postby Beck-Ola » 18 Feb 2011, 17:34

Glad you found the one you like, chukka. There's nothing wrong with liking different things. Well, except this, of course. :upass

I went the opposite way, trading in my JVM for the VM. Actually I really liked the clean tones of the JVM and some of the plexiesque ones. It was the "red" ones that I could never get used to. Loved the features and the big pedal. I really don't think it is possible to get the VM tone on it though no matter how hard you try because of the KT-66s and the difference in preamps.

Now I have the JMD to go with the VM. The JMD covers even more ground than the JVM. They're all good amps. :Cheers
Against stupidity the very gods themselves contend in vain. ~ Friedrich von Schiller

Kind of know how he feels.

chukka09
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby chukka09 » 18 Feb 2011, 17:46

The cleans on my JVM are seriously the best cleans I've heard coming out of a Marshall. Nice and chimey. And completely clean, if you want it to be, no grit at all. Or put some hair on it, whatever you want. The bluesy OD tones are there too. Obviously, it helps to have a guitar that is well-suited for this. My R9 LP is very bright and woody for an LP, so the neck pickup really works well the JVM's bluesy OD sound. Whatever Marshall tone you want, the JVM will get you there, you just have to know where to find it. For instance, my straight-up rock rhythm tone is found on OD2 Green, which is supposed to be the scooped-style metal channel. OD2 Orange and Red are both too hi-gain for anything even with the gain knob set low, but Green with the gain knob set half-to-full gives you a nice chonk. My full-blown lead sound comes from OD1 Orange or Red with the gain knob set half way or so depending on how hot I want it. The point is, sometimes the tone you're looking for isn't best found in the mode you'd think it would come from.

And as far as what the pros use, I've given up trying to keep up with them. Sure, I might use a VM too if I could use it for one tone and then have three or four other heads I could switch to via some sort of Bradshaw system and then crank them all right the stink up. Reality is, I can't afford that, nor do I have the room or the roadies to lug it all for me. I need one amp that does it all and sounds great doing it. This is as close as I found to the perfect solution.

Oh, and did I mention the passive loop on this thing is the best loop I've heard in a Marshall? Yeah, okay, so that is the non-programmable one of the two on the JVM, but hey, the amp has MIDI so as long as your effects are MIDI capable as well, like the Line 6 M9 or something, you're golden.

Guess I should start migrating all this praise for the JVM over to the JVM forum.
Sweet Sound Mojo Vibe
Boss DD-20 Delay

Slashwannabe1
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 182 times
Been liked: 98 times

Postby Slashwannabe1 » 18 Feb 2011, 20:31

chukka09 wrote: To anyone who is reading this and is torn between buying a VM and buying a JVM, I say save yourself a huge headache and keep saving for the JVM. The used ones are coming down in price and eventually you'll score one.

Rock on guys.
All I gotta say is...Shut up!, Your Stories are stupid! & have fun with an amp that wishes it could be the Vintage Modern!. I think the only headache is your shitty equipment and the JVM covers up the fact the supporting cast of your gear is crap because it dishes out a ton of steril gain...No Offense to Santiago as the JVM is a great amp, but Santiago has better amplifiers than the JVM under his belt.

Don't take it personally, just take it professionally. I think your argument is boring,long winded and certainly bland. And Fuck Off You Donkey! (As Chef Gordon Ramsay would say) j/k :beerme .

The JVM is a great amplifier in its own right but hardly anywhere near the top of the best Marshalls ever made and never will be. Its made to impress simple minds with shock value & effects than with pure tone which the Vintage Modern does & delivers all day without trying.

Flame me I don't give a shit. You just spat in the face of Steve D,Trower,Malmsteen,Slash,Paul Gilbert and Angus Young among others. An insult, honestly to push off the JVM better than the VM thats what I take issue with.

Normally I wouldn't care, as tone/opinions are subjective and to each their own, but an out right slander and call for others not to look the VM's way really pissed me off. But then again who cares? we who have the VM will corner the market on TONE while the rest use a beginner amp.

-- Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:40 pm --
Slash1337 wrote: Most of the people that say they "use" an amp usually have the amp they're actually using behind the ones that are "on" on stage. And some players even have the heads turned around so you can't see what they use anyways.
Like who? nobody I've ever known of whos hidden their amps & been secretive nowadays and done that ever had a tone to write home about anyway...most likely they were probably embarressed about the fact they used cheap shit or distortion pedals to cover up their skill. Fact is you can Tell Marshall tone,Fender Tone,Mesa Tone,Randall tone & generic tones why cover it up?.

Sorry I'm just venting!
Amplifiers: Marshall 2555x 100watt Silver Jubilee Full Stack with matching 2551AV & 2551BV 8x12 70 watt Vintage 30 speakers.
Marshall 2466 100watt Vintage Modern w/ Matching 425A cab
1966 Fender Bandmaster
Effects: MXR:M234 Analog Chorus, Phase90, Slash Octave Fuzz, Slash SC95 Wah. BOSS: RV-3 & DD3 Reverb & Delay, GE-7 EQ,NS-2 Noise Suppressor, CS-3 Compression Sustainer
Guitars: 6 Les Pauls with Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 Pro Pickups.

bluesbrother
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Postby bluesbrother » 19 Feb 2011, 00:05

Now I have the JMD to go with the VM. The JMD covers even more ground than the JVM. They're all good amps. :Cheers
I have these two amps and i think they are each other opposites and
anything can be played with these two.

VM= open sounding thick fenderisch sound.
JMD= thight midrangy compressed sound.

two complete different beasts and i really like both.

:beerme
epiphone les paul standard 1959 limited edition .
epiphone BB King Lucille
Orange Crush 35 RT
boss e-band JS-8 ( 32 GB for backing tracks)
beyer dynamic DT 880 Pro headphones.

KH Guitar Freak
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 1 time

Postby KH Guitar Freak » 19 Feb 2011, 01:20

Honestly, I prefer the tone of the VM over the JVM. The JVM is just too noisy on the gain channels. Also found the Vintage Modern cop the really early Marshall tones better. That being said, I might be interested in the Satch version of the JVM, which apparently will come out sometime next year, but I'll never sell my VM for one of those...

Slash1337
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Slash1337 » 19 Feb 2011, 07:20

Slashwannabe1 wrote:
chukka09 wrote: To anyone who is reading this and is torn between buying a VM and buying a JVM, I say save yourself a huge headache and keep saving for the JVM. The used ones are coming down in price and eventually you'll score one.

Rock on guys.
All I gotta say is...Shut up!, Your Stories are stupid! & have fun with an amp that wishes it could be the Vintage Modern!. I think the only headache is your shitty equipment and the JVM covers up the fact the supporting cast of your gear is crap because it dishes out a ton of steril gain...No Offense to Santiago as the JVM is a great amp, but Santiago has better amplifiers than the JVM under his belt.

Don't take it personally, just take it professionally. I think your argument is boring,long winded and certainly bland. And Fuck Off You Donkey! (As Chef Gordon Ramsay would say) j/k :beerme .

The JVM is a great amplifier in its own right but hardly anywhere near the top of the best Marshalls ever made and never will be. Its made to impress simple minds with shock value & effects than with pure tone which the Vintage Modern does & delivers all day without trying.

Flame me I don't give a shit. You just spat in the face of Steve D,Trower,Malmsteen,Slash,Paul Gilbert and Angus Young among others. An insult, honestly to push off the JVM better than the VM thats what I take issue with.

Normally I wouldn't care, as tone/opinions are subjective and to each their own, but an out right slander and call for others not to look the VM's way really pissed me off. But then again who cares? we who have the VM will corner the market on TONE while the rest use a beginner amp.

Slash1337 wrote: Most of the people that say they "use" an amp usually have the amp they're actually using behind the ones that are "on" on stage. And some players even have the heads turned around so you can't see what they use anyways.
Like who? nobody I've ever known of whos hidden their amps & been secretive nowadays and done that ever had a tone to write home about anyway...most likely they were probably embarressed about the fact they used cheap shit or distortion pedals to cover up their skill. Fact is you can Tell Marshall tone,Fender Tone,Mesa Tone,Randall tone & generic tones why cover it up?.

Sorry I'm just venting!
It's all marketing man that's what it comes down to. YOu think Slash is gonna throw VM's on stage instead of the JCM800/Jubilee/Slashs models he's had for years? He might have one, but I've seen him6 times over the past 4 years and never seen a VM. I know he's recorded with them that's for sure.

And steril tone from the JVM? I'm just gonna say it that it doesn't and YOU are wrong haha. JVM and VM deliver two different tones, and one is far more versitile(JVM). The other has better rock tones. Let the guy be, it's not the amp he was looking for, if everyone in the world had the same amp guitar tone would be a boring topic.
Marshall AFD100
Gibson R9 Faded Tobacco
60' Gibson Goldtop LP
Crybaby Zakk Wylde
Dunlop Heil Talk Box

Spotted Dog
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 105 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby Spotted Dog » 19 Feb 2011, 08:00

Congrats Chucka! Nothing better than a "new amp day", unless its a "two-new amps day". :yea
Joe, Jimi, Stevie, Derek, Carlos, Jimmy, Warren, Buddy, Dickie, Eric, Lonnie, Robin, Duane, Luther, David, Tommy, Walter

335, LPs, Strats, Teles, Myra -->> 2266, 425A, JTM1, JMP1H, JCM1H, Lone Star Special, Super Reverb, Dr Z Galaxie & Carmen Ghia, MG 15, Li'l Dawg Tweed Deluxe Clone

TS-808, Blues Driver; Lovepedal, Amp 50, MXR 78 BadAss, Les Lius, Java Boost, Fuzz Head, MXR 10 EQ, Deja Vibe, Cry Baby, Trinity Reverb, Alter Ego Delay, Rat, Big Muff, MK Boost

chukka09
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby chukka09 » 19 Feb 2011, 08:59

Slashwannabe1 wrote:

Rock on guys.

Sorry I'm just venting!

This from a guy who named himself "Slashwannabe."

That's funny stuff, dude. You're right, I'm an out-and-out A-hole for not liking the Vintage Modern more than the JVM. If only I shared your obviously superior opinions. I hang my head in shame.
Sweet Sound Mojo Vibe
Boss DD-20 Delay

Mats A
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 108 times
Been liked: 199 times

Postby Mats A » 19 Feb 2011, 10:55

I own both a VM and a JVM and the JVM is absolutely not a sterile gain sounding amp. The JVM can do things the VM can´t and the other way around. In fact the JVM comes closer in tone to my Plexi wich has a more compressed sound. The VM has a more open sound a bit more Fenderish sounding. Very good for more bluesy and Johnny Winter stuff.

slash-ed
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Postby slash-ed » 19 Feb 2011, 13:09

Slashwannabe1 wrote:

Rock on guys.

Sorry I'm just venting!
You are a fucktard. Grow up, not everything YOU use is automatically the be all and end all or the best. People are allowed to have opinions that aren't the same as yours. And everyone has different musical tastes and needs. The JVM is easily the best sounding "high gain out of the box" Marshall, and if that's what the dude is looking for, then great for him! And please, please don't start wanking on about how the VM can do high gain, metal, etc. The gain on tap from a JVM is in a whole different league, and it's meant to be that way.

Also, you're seriously insulting the dude's gear? Saying that it's shit and he needs "sterile" (with an E, mind you) gain to cover it up? Have you read his gear list, and then have you fucking read your own???

:bird
www.six-string-samurai.com
Gear talk for the GAS-afflicted.

Beck-Ola
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 24 times
Been liked: 13 times

Postby Beck-Ola » 19 Feb 2011, 14:02

Roid rage? Drunk at the keyboard? Not getting any? Too much crack pipe? Arrested development? Watched Chef Ramsey too much? Could be many things. :Jerkoff

Why the need to be so rude to the guy just because he prefers the JVM?
Against stupidity the very gods themselves contend in vain. ~ Friedrich von Schiller

Kind of know how he feels.

Return to “Marshall JVM”