What speakers in a 2x12 cab for a JTM1?

50th anniversary amps JTM1, JMP1, JCM1, DSL1, JVM1, 1962LE

Moderator: longfxukxnhair

zimlen
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 19 times
Been liked: 38 times

Re: What speakers in a 2x12 cab for a JTM1?

Postby zimlen » 05 Apr 2013, 15:58

It does look a little bare with all that grille cloth and no logo. I think I'll add a Marshall badge. The 60s badge like on the JTM1 might look good, even though the cab is 70s styled, and not made by Marshall.

zimlen
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby zimlen » 08 Apr 2013, 00:53

I'm looking to add a 60s style Marshall block logo to my cabinet like the one found on the JTM1. Can someone advice how to fix one to the grille cloth without damaging it? And any advice on where to source it would be appreciated to. I see a number of companies sell reproductions, but its difficult to judge the quality of them from pictures.

Sigi M
Marshall Museum Curator Friedland Germany
Has Liked: 1977 times
Been liked: 2724 times

Postby Sigi M » 08 Apr 2013, 03:04

You can use double sided tape to fix the block logo. For the Blocklogo I would ask a Marshall dealer or distributor. Some of the ebay Logos are the shit.

Sigi
Attachments
Blocklogo 21.02.13 058.JPG
Blocklogo 21.02.13 058.JPG (258.44 KiB) Viewed 760 times
http://www.marshall-forever.de
https://www.facebook.com/MarshallAmpMuseum?ref=hl

Life is short, so let's rock ! ..................and Marshall forever !!!

zimlen
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby zimlen » 08 Apr 2013, 03:43

Thanks for the advice Sigi. I didn't realise that Marshall sold them separately. I did look on their website and couldn't see them in the products section. I'll speak to my local dealer tomorrow.

The logos I've seen, like the one in your picture, seem to have screws through the plate. I thought maybe a thin timber or plastic backing on the other side of the cloth might be the way to go, and use the supplied screws to fix it into the backing.

Sigi M
Has Liked: 1977 times
Been liked: 2724 times

Postby Sigi M » 08 Apr 2013, 05:16

The logos I've seen, like the one in your picture, seem to have screws through the plate. I thought maybe a thin timber or plastic backing on the other side of the cloth might be the way to go, and use the supplied screws to fix it into the backing.[/quote]

Very good Idea!
Sigi
http://www.marshall-forever.de
https://www.facebook.com/MarshallAmpMuseum?ref=hl

Life is short, so let's rock ! ..................and Marshall forever !!!

Bluesburst
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Has Liked: 11 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby Bluesburst » 09 Apr 2013, 13:25

zimlen wrote:Thanks for the advice Sigi. I didn't realise that Marshall sold them separately. I did look on their website and couldn't see them in the products section. I'll speak to my local dealer tomorrow.

The logos I've seen, like the one in your picture, seem to have screws through the plate. I thought maybe a thin timber or plastic backing on the other side of the cloth might be the way to go, and use the supplied screws to fix it into the backing.
Hi zimlen

The Australian distributor ELFA stocks them, I ordered mine through my local music store, Cranbourne Music. :Thumbs

The cab looks great and I agree with your earlier comment on the JCM cleans, they're fantastic :metal
Be good... or be good at it!!!

Martin

zimlen
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby zimlen » 09 Apr 2013, 17:29

Bluesburst wrote:
zimlen wrote:Thanks for the advice Sigi. I didn't realise that Marshall sold them separately. I did look on their website and couldn't see them in the products section. I'll speak to my local dealer tomorrow.

Hi zimlen

The Australian distributor ELFA stocks them, I ordered mine through my local music store, Cranbourne Music. :Thumbs

The cab looks great and I agree with your earlier comment on the JCM cleans, they're fantastic :metal
Hi Bluesburst

Thanks for the advice. I actually rang ELFA yesterday. They said the item was a service part, and gave me the email address of that department. I haven't got a response back yet, though I'm guessing they will just tell me to buy it though a Marshall retailer.

I'm actually in Melbourne too, and live in the SE suburbs. I think my closest Marshall retailer is Skye Music in Clayton, but I go through Cranbourne regularly for work, so I'll drop into Cranbourne Music today. I need to grab some speaker cable anyway for a Radial Headbone I just ordered to switch my JTM1 and JCM1 through my new cab. Thanks for the tip!

zimlen
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Re: What speakers in a 2x12 cab for a JTM1 and JCM1?

Postby zimlen » 02 Jan 2014, 18:54

I thought I'd re-visit this thread and ask for some advice. I've got a 2x12 loaded with a V30 and G12H30 which I play both a JTM1 and JCM1 through. I reckon it sounds great with the JCM1, but wonder if the JTM1 would sound better with Greenbacks.

I find the V30 to have a barky upper midrange that is quite aggressive, and I wonder if Greenbacks would be smoother with breaking up tones playing the JTM1. The G12H30 is more scooped, and has plenty of bottom end, but I find the JTM1 has more than enough bass already. Maybe the restrained bass response of a Greenback would tame the woollyness of this amp.

Ideally I'd have a separate cab for each amp, but space and budget do not permit. I also wonder whether I would like Greenbacks with the JCM1 anyway, because I prefer classic rock over hard rock tones. Would I expect much of a change if I went the Greenback route, and if so, what should I expect?

michael_dba
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Has Liked: 109 times
Been liked: 91 times

Postby michael_dba » 02 Jan 2014, 19:51

surfnorthwest wrote:.....My recommendation to you is a mix of one standard greenback and one G12H-30.
+1

Or try both versions of G12H...55hz and 75hz in one cab.....or a G12H 55hz and a GB.
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Marshall 2266
Marshall '78 JMP 50 2204's head and combo
Marshall Class 5
Marshall clone PTP amps - 1987, 1959SL
Gretsch Malcolm Young Signature Double Jet
Fender USA Lonestar Stratocaster
...too much other stuff
"Malcolm is a genius!"

zimlen
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby zimlen » 02 Jan 2014, 20:29

A G12H30 is much louder than a standard Greenback. I think it might over power it.

Return to “Marshall 50th Anniversary”