Moderator: longfxukxnhair

reverbbb
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 4 times
Been liked: 4 times

JMP1 head or combo?

Postby reverbbb » 16 Apr 2012, 15:19

As much as I like combos, I really don't care for 10" speakers. The 10" speaker was the big turn off for me when I auditioned a Class 5. Someone is bound to ask what it was that I didn't like about that rig. The 10" speakers always sound farty/flabby to my ears. I hear too much 6~9 kHz that is coming from the smaller paper cone. In a very distant comparison, I would say that it approaches the kazoo sound to my ears.

I am late to the game on these 1W amps. I just found out about them less than two weeks ago. I listened to several demos and became convinced that the JMP1 was the sound that I am used to playing.

So, I got in touch with a major music store (in the USA) and wanted to order the head. They were sold out, but they put me on the list and reserved the very last combo they had allocated. Now, I am on the fence. Do I really want the combo or do I want the head and use the cabinet of my choice. I know that I can simply plug the 8 or 16 output into any cabinet. Yet, I really think that looks odd. Plus, I am paying $50 more for a speaker that I fear that I will not like.

Can anyone give me a good perspective on how the JMP1 combo sounds with the stock 10" speaker?

Cousin Muely
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 2794 times
Been liked: 2474 times

Re: JMP1 head or combo?

Postby Cousin Muely » 16 Apr 2012, 16:08

I hate to give you the typical "I don't have one of those but i have this......." answer you see a lot on forums but i do think you made the right decision on the combo. Even though it sounds like it was your only option. I was on the fence about my JTM-1C. Do i get the head (Loved the look, sits good on a 1x12, 2x12..etc) but ended up with the combo because well....it does come with a speaker and has the same 8 & 16 ohm speaker outs. I am really satisfied with the combo and its Celestion speaker that came with it. There's a possibility that there is a better 10" for it but i have no desire to change it out. I am more inclined to believe that folks change out speakers way to early anyway. It takes a while to get one broke in right. I have a JMP-1C on order and the way i see it whats 50 more bucks for the speaker. To me it's the better buy. One trip out the door with guitar and amp to go jam with some friends and you still have the option to plug in the ext cab when you want. I really like my JTM and am sure the JMP will be just as killer. Even though i am like you, only heard the online demos of these 1 watters but after hearing the demos of the JTM and now owning it i have no doubt the JMP-1C will not disappoint me. Don't sweat it. :coffee

Cousin Muely
Knighted
Knighted

Postby Cousin Muely » 16 Apr 2012, 16:16

oh yeah, and as far as comparing it to the Class 5 i have one and to my ears the JTM-1 sounds better. Much more pleasant to the ears. The Class 5 can sound muddy. I still play it from time to time but the JTM gets turned on all the time. When the JMP-1C gets here that will compete with playing time i am sure. :shredder

reverbbb
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby reverbbb » 16 Apr 2012, 18:07

Thanks Muely. You have given me some hope that this is going to be a good decision.

I played the JTM1 head at GC the other day. It sounds awesome. However, they only had it connected to a 1960AV cabinet. To me, that was a significant mismatch. The Vintage 30s are a tighter and brighter speaker. I have great confidence that Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hindrix never played those 60s tones through that type of speaker. Even still, the JTM1 was a very nice sounding head.

One thing that I might do right off the bat, is change the basket weave grill to the salt-n-pepper grill cloth. I do that to all my Marshall combos & cabinets. Even my 1974X has factory s-n-p grill cloth.

My '79 50W M/Volume plus 1960AC:

My recent wedding cake (groom's) replicating my big rig (note the s-n-p grill replication too):

Cousin Muely
Knighted
Knighted

Postby Cousin Muely » 16 Apr 2012, 20:03

Wow! Nice cake and congrats! Hate to have cut that one. As far as these 50th anniverseries, just a perfect volume for home practice. The .1 setting works well on my JTM also. At the 1 watt mode it is loud enough toget into it when jamming to covers or a backing track.

Cousin Muely
Knighted
Knighted

Postby Cousin Muely » 16 Apr 2012, 20:07

Yes nice cake but didnt mean to deminish the Marshall and Les Paul. Very cool rig.

gtrman
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 580 times
Been liked: 550 times

Postby gtrman » 17 Apr 2012, 00:07

I got the JTM and the JMP combo.
Yes the speakers on both sound a little boxy & dont deliver they full potential of the amps.
Still for me it was an easy decision to get the combo over the head.
I wil be using external cabs most of the time when using these amps but the flexibility of the speaker makes this amp great for practising.
Its easy to carry around .. and light as a feather .. and when you need to play at bedroom levels the differences vs an external cab is a lot less noticable.
Fractal AX-8
Axe-Fx III

Charvel Guthrie Govan Signature HSH Caramelized Ash
Charvel Guthrie Govan Signature HSH Flame Maple
Suhr 80's Shred MKII Tiger Stripe
Gibson LP VOS 57 Goldtop
PRS John Mayer Silver Sky Horizon

kelv_w
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 29 times

Postby kelv_w » 17 Apr 2012, 02:30

How could you not like the combo :bgrin
Bought the combo due to convenience, however it doesn't sound too bad.

or plug in a fuzz face

reverbbb
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby reverbbb » 17 Apr 2012, 05:42

Has anyone tried the output in the low setting, direct into a PA channel (stage situation)? I know that these are easy to use as preamps into another amplifier input. Just wondering about the dangers/quality of going direct?

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 17 Apr 2012, 05:59

reverbbb wrote:Has anyone tried the output in the low setting, direct into a PA channel (stage situation)? I know that these are easy to use as preamps into another amplifier input. Just wondering about the dangers/quality of going direct?
Yes its no problem. But depending on the mixer and the PA I would use a Radial JDX box it works awesome direct into the mixer. This give the sound guy complete control over your mix and volume.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Wildone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 82 times
Been liked: 151 times

Postby Wildone » 17 Apr 2012, 19:03

Those JMP1 combos are pretty. I would love to have one.
Gibson R8 - Gibson Explorer - Gibson R7 Goldtop
Marshall 2466 - Marshall JMD1 - Marshall 1987
No one wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Return to “Marshall 50th Anniversary”