Moderator: longfxukxnhair

bop75
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 3 times

Re: Bottom for a Jmp1-h

Postby bop75 » 15 Mar 2015, 10:37

Hey shaun here's a test. This was thru the JMP1 volume 10 base 10 treble 10. Had it set for 1/4 watt mode. Had my SG on Volume 7 any higher was very dirty. Other that it being louder, there wasn't any tone change on full one watt. Do you want me to do the same thing with the class five head? I'll set it bass off "per your other post" and everything else at 10. I'll try the bedroom trick first.

This was recorded with a Zoom H2n mike in stereo than exported out of Audacity. I didn't do anything in Audacity with the file.

https://soundcloud.com/bop75/test

schwa
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 61 times

Postby schwa » 15 Mar 2015, 17:48

I have a JMP1 and it's my favorite 1 watter, but it does have it's challenges. One of them has been finding the right speaker.

I've tried it with two cabs and various speakers.

One was/is the class 5 cab. I'll start by saying that I like the cab, the stock speaker less so.

Adding a gold logo to the cab made a pretty nice cosmetic match for the JMP1.

The stock speaker doesn't seem to work for me, I find it very mid heavy. I don't know why Marshall chose this speaker to pair with so many of their amps (even handwired ones!) I do think it sounds best with the Class 5 amp, which I thought sounded scooped when I had it.

I wanted to get an even better "match" for my JMP1 in a 1x12, and ended up getting a cab from StageCraft cabinets.

I think it looks great, the larger size is a plus, and mine has a convertible back (I keep it closed most of the time). I've had a GreenBack in there most of the time, but don't love it. Currently, I have an EV SRO (Ceramic) in there, and am still unsatisfied. The next one I mean to try is the G12-75 - a common speaker - but one with a reputation for being scooped. I hope that I can dial out the extra top with the treble control and keep any extra bass that's in the speaker.

I haven't had a chance to try the 75, I've been spending my limited music time on other things.

When it comes to the Class 5 vs. the JMP1, I think the JMP1 is superior. I had high hopes for the Class 5 and bough one fo the first heads. But I was just not happy with the sound. To me, it sounded like a budget tube amp. It did sound like a Marshall, just not a nice one. The JMP1 just had more of the sound I was looking for.

shaun
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 22 times
Been liked: 143 times

Postby shaun » 18 Mar 2015, 04:06

Bop, i appreciate your tests, i think the only way to know if the JMP1 is for me is to actually play one. But, i cant find one on ebay or locally, so, till now the C5 will do.

I really do appreciate your time in this. Enjoy your own playing time dude.
Thanks, Shaun.
"Anyway, I see this forum isn't too happening, but hopefully I'll get some responses." Sully

"I find the above statement offensive. Funny, but offensive. No offense intended by my comments." Shaun

Return to “Marshall 50th Anniversary”