30th Anniversary 6100 range LE/LM amps

Moderator: longfxukxnhair

boardn10
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 9 times

6100 and quality?

Postby boardn10 » 22 Jan 2013, 06:16

Hey guys,

I am looking for a Marshal. I own a Mesa Dual Rec, PWE Event Horizon and 20th Anniversary Bogn Shiva.
Been looking for an amp to give me authentic Marshal from clean to heavy and am looking the most at the Vintage Modern 2466.
What is the 6100 30th head all about? Is it single channel or two? I can;t find much info on it. Does it have a loop, and take pedals well?
What is the build quality like?

Thanks!
-Rich

aristotle
'54 Les Paul
'54 Les Paul
Has Liked: 87 times
Been liked: 527 times

Re: 6100 and quality?

Postby aristotle » 22 Jan 2013, 07:56

Hi Rich,

Whether the 6100 is for you depends on what you're looking for from the amp. I've played several (don't own one....still on the lookout for the right one...) but it's a different kind of amp than the Vintage Modern. There are lots of 6100 fan(atics) here, and they'd be in a better position to provide and in-depth review, but in my limited time with them, I see them as providing most of the flexibility (and in some cases more) of the JVM, but with more of a vintage vibe to it (particularly in channel 1.) The VM on the other hand is a single channel amp...and while it has modern features (effects loop, MV, etc.) it's not as easy to control live unless you embrace old-school techniques. The 6100 does have an effects loop and a bunch of other features: http://www.marshallamps.com/downloads/f ... %20hbk.pdf

Build quality so far as I can tell with the 6100 is the same as with any other Marshall (and same as with most other big brand amps out there....) In my experience looking for one, I've found that because of the features and flexibility (and particularly when you consider when these things came out 20 years ago) most of these have seen some road time. That's not a knock against the amp, more of a testament to how they're used.

In any case, you really should try these. Descriptions from bums like me are fine if you're trying to limit the field, but from some of your posts here, it sounds to me like you'd do yourself a favor by trying to find some of these locally to test drive.

Out of curiosity, is the Shiva lacking in some way for you? It's no slouch at putting out vintage Marshall tones.

longfxukxnhair
Asshole
Asshole
Has Liked: 2303 times
Been liked: 1571 times

Postby longfxukxnhair » 22 Jan 2013, 19:18

The 6100 is a 3 ch amp. Get a good OD and you are basically adding a 4th ch while using the clean. Tons of tone from this monster. But you told us what you have. What music style are you playing?

I traded my Trip Rect for the 6100 and dont regret it 1 bit
Gibson
Voodoo
Slash Gld Top
Slash Drk Tobacco Burst
Standard A+
Slash Snake Pit
Copper Top Studio
Wine Red Studio
LP GT

MII
MII Urban Camo
Horizon FRII
SC Custom Shop
KH602
Horizon NT

Shecter Blck Market Custom
BC Rich Zoltan Bathory
Ovation
Jackson Soloist Pro
Jackson Dinky
Kramer SM1

Edwards John Sykes LP
Edwards LP 92SD QM
Custom Owens LP

6100 stack (blue) - Bogner Twin Jet - Engl SE 670 - Mesa Road King - Mesa Mark V:25 - 5150 III LBX

gtrman
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 580 times
Been liked: 550 times

Postby gtrman » 24 Jan 2013, 00:19

With the 6100 you get great Marshall crunch/drive but with tons of flexibility which makes this one of the best live amps Marshall has made available.
I guess the JVM would be close as far as flexibility but they sound very different as the JVM has more modern gain.
It's a 3-channel amp with effect loop and with the right cab & guitar you can get close to Metal tones as well.
I had two of these some years ago and after going through a whole bunch of other Marshalls I'm back with this one now ...
Fractal AX-8
Axe-Fx III

Charvel Guthrie Govan Signature HSH Caramelized Ash
Charvel Guthrie Govan Signature HSH Flame Maple
Suhr 80's Shred MKII Tiger Stripe
Gibson LP VOS 57 Goldtop
PRS John Mayer Silver Sky Horizon

boardn10

Postby boardn10 » 26 Jan 2013, 19:38

Hi all, thanks!

I love the amps I have. I have just felt like I need to have at least one true Marsall in my collection. It has to be up there in tonal quality with my Bogner, PWE and Mesa Boogie. I play everything from classic rock to 90s and alternative hard rock. The band I am in now is a 90s hard rock band.

-Rich

longfxukxnhair
Asshole
Asshole

Postby longfxukxnhair » 26 Jan 2013, 20:08

boardn10 wrote:Hi all, thanks!

I love the amps I have. I have just felt like I need to have at least one true Marsall in my collection. It has to be up there in tonal quality with my Bogner, PWE and Mesa Boogie. I play everything from classic rock to 90s and alternative hard rock. The band I am in now is a 90s hard rock band.

-Rich
I owned a TSL, DSL and Mesa Trip when I got the 6100. All but the 6100 are gone. I also had a Dual after I got the 6100. It is also gone. I run a 6100, JVM410 and a Engl SE670. All versatile amps and all worth their weight in gold when it comes to tone.
Gibson
Voodoo
Slash Gld Top
Slash Drk Tobacco Burst
Standard A+
Slash Snake Pit
Copper Top Studio
Wine Red Studio
LP GT

MII
MII Urban Camo
Horizon FRII
SC Custom Shop
KH602
Horizon NT

BC Rich Zoltan Bathory
Ovation
Jackson Soloist Pro
Jackson Dinky
Kramer SM1

Edwards John Sykes LP
Edwards LP 92SD QM
Custom Owens LP

6100 stack (blue) - Bogner Twin Jet - Engl SE 670 - Mesa Road King - Mesa Mark V:25 - 5150 III LBX

boardn10

Postby boardn10 » 27 Jan 2013, 15:15

That is great to know. I am going to check one out. Which version should I research? My buddy said there are multiple 6100 models, like the LE, etc...

longfxukxnhair
Asshole
Asshole

Postby longfxukxnhair » 27 Jan 2013, 15:26

boardn10 wrote:That is great to know. I am going to check one out. Which version should I research? My buddy said there are multiple 6100 models, like the LE, etc...
There is the 6100LE (rare 800 made) and the 6100 blue tolex and black tolex version. These run el34s

The 6100LM has added gain and runs 5881/6l6. You will find more of these on the market.

Research any you run across. Dont limit yourself.
Gibson
Voodoo
Slash Gld Top
Slash Drk Tobacco Burst
Standard A+
Slash Snake Pit
Copper Top Studio
Wine Red Studio
LP GT

MII
MII Urban Camo
Horizon FRII
SC Custom Shop
KH602
Horizon NT

BC Rich Zoltan Bathory
Ovation
Jackson Soloist Pro
Jackson Dinky
Kramer SM1

Edwards John Sykes LP
Edwards LP 92SD QM
Custom Owens LP

boardn10

Postby boardn10 » 27 Jan 2013, 15:52

I find my PWE and Bogner Shiva, give me great modded marshall tones so I keep thinking I should look elsewhere like the KT66 loaded VM 2466.

Return to “Marshall 30th Anniversary”