Peveo
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 39 times

Tweak the DSL5C

Postby Peveo » 03 Apr 2014, 11:03

Hello ,

Just got myself a little present and having a lot of fun with my new toy the DSL5C.

It sounds great and the 1 watt option is a bliss , especially for my family...

Of course this amp will be tweaked and i'm wandering if there are amongst you that already have chanced a dsl5c.

I'm planning to chance the tubes first but am not sure what brand will be the best option, also a bit less gain on the overdrive channel would be nice.
That lovely break up sound is there when the gain is on about 1 or 2 and there plenty of gain left so what kind of tubes should y put in there .
Also a Celestion Greenback speaker comes to mind to chance with the stock speaker

Its a great amp but y want it to sound a bit warmer and a bit more vintage sounding...

any advise welcome .

Thanks,

:beerme :cowbell
Marshall JTM45RI , 1936 cab with v30, Laney lionheart L5 studio Head, Fender Superchamp X2 combo, Fender Blues de Luxe combo ,Strats, Tele, Les Paul, Seagull S6, Fender 12 string and a lot of stompboxes.
And i'm still collecting... :cowbell

Alpeggio
Secret Blueser
Secret Blueser
Has Liked: 5144 times
Been liked: 3146 times

Re: Tweak the DSL5C

Postby Alpeggio » 03 Apr 2014, 13:37

Have a look here, he has fitted a 12inch V30 into the DSL5.
http://marshallroadhouse.com/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=16392
SV20 Plexi, JTM45, YJM plexi, KK800, JTM60, JTM1, JMP1, JCM1, DSL1, JVM1.

Peveo
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 0

Postby Peveo » 08 Apr 2014, 09:37

So after only a week y tweaked my new DSL5C with: TAD 5751 Highgrade tubes a TAD 12BH7-str tube and a Celestion Greenback.
The results: smoother and warmer sound but still a bit to much gain on the ultra gain channel to my liking.
The amp sounded harsh to me when y used it right out of the box but with the adjustments its more to my liking.
Y think i.m going to trie a 12 AT7 tube in the V1 position to reduce the gain on the ultra gain channel even a bit more.
At the moment the amp sounds crunchy with the gain at 2-10 and theres plenty of gain left to rock hard but y do like a bit more control so a 12AT7 could do the trick so that it stays crunchy up until 5-10
The circuitry of the amp probably won't give me classic plexi like tone but if its close enough i'm pleased.

Would be nice to get a plexi tone from a 5 watt amp.

So i'm done typing and now first a cool beer and a strat so y can start playing again with my new toy...
Marshall JTM45RI , 1936 cab with v30, Laney lionheart L5 studio Head, Fender Superchamp X2 combo, Fender Blues de Luxe combo ,Strats, Tele, Les Paul, Seagull S6, Fender 12 string and a lot of stompboxes.
And i'm still collecting... :cowbell

The Ballzz
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 5 times

Postby The Ballzz » 09 Nov 2014, 16:30

Peveo,
i know this is an old post, but....... I have finished the first phase of my intended mods. I found the clean channel to sound pretty fantastic when the tones were dialed just right, but lacking just a bit of gain. If I then switched to the gain channel, most of the bottom end went away. I could then make the gain channel sound pretty good (a little bit boxy, but not too bad) by adding a lot of bass, but then switching back to the clean it was way too bassy and flubby. My goal was to make the two channels sound more closely related tonally, but with different gain/overdrive characteristics. Upon analyzing the layout via a schematic, I decided to make the gain channel more closely laid out to a JCM800/2203. The first phase was to modify the grid input of V1B to mostly duplicate that of the JCM800. It definitely put me in the right/intended direction. The next step will be to tweak the plate and cathode treatment of V1B to be like that of the 800. We'll se how it goes and I'll keep you posted! So far all tweaks have been able to accomplished above the board, by clipping components and adding/scabbing on a couple jumpers. Once all tweaks have been finalized, I will pull the board "ONCE" and make all the mods in proper fashion.
Just My $.02,
Gene

Return to “Marshall DSL (2012-2017)”