Moderator: longfxukxnhair

growlsearcher
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Do my DSL sound normal?

Postby growlsearcher » 26 Aug 2014, 04:13

I need some help with my DSL100H. I have 3 main problems with it. First it can't handle gain higher than 6 on lead 1. The signal get choked after string attack. Then it does not handle boosts in a good way. If boosting lead 1 at gain 4 with an EP booster, the same choked signal appears. The third problem is appearing when increasing the volume to 6 or higher on Ultra Gain. I then get some fizzy noise when playing. Overall she sounds fuzzy, weak, grainy and thin.

My guitar is a Gibson LP Standard. My Cab is a 1960AX

I've attached 3 soundclips, all using the lead 1 channel:

DSL - High Volume.mp3
This is recorded using a Bad Cat Unleash to keep the volume down. I've increased the treble and presence on the amp to make the fizzy noise more obvious
Amp settings: Res-5, Pres-8, Bass-5, Mid-5,Tre-8, Gain-5, Vol-6
dsl high volume.mp3
(1.43 MiB) Downloaded 3512 times
DSL - High Gain.mp3
Amp settings: All tone at noon, Gain 8, Vol 2
dsl -high gain.mp3
(1.2 MiB) Downloaded 3500 times
DSL - High gain - boosted.mp3
This recording is for demonstrating the choked attack even more
Amp settings: All tone at noon, Gain 8, Vol 2
Boost: EP booster, Gain at noon
dsl - high gain - boosted.mp3
(1.22 MiB) Downloaded 3499 times
Is this how they sound?

I've tried different preamp tubes, so thats not the problem. Also tried other output tubes, but same problem with choked attack. I've measured the bias on the tubes sitting in from factory. 3 of the measured 38 ma, 1 tube measured 32 ma. Could that cause fissy noise at high volume?
Also tried the DSL15 and could not get the same choking symptom, only muddyness

Please help me outhttp://marshallroadhouse.com/posting.php?mode=post&f=73#

shaun
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 22 times
Been liked: 143 times

Re: Do my DSL sound normal?

Postby shaun » 26 Aug 2014, 04:57

Growl, that does not sound good. The first clip has digital clipping /distorted , like the recording device was way too close to the amp. What was this recorded with?

But, if you bought the amp new, take it back. It just not sound right, especially if that is on the classic gain channel. The ultra gain channel can get fizzy with the gain pushed.

I don't have a DSL myself, but it just does not sound right, especially considering you have swapped out valves.
Take it back, but if you bought is 2nd hand, maybe this is why it was sold.. sorry but either way something isnt right with it.
"Anyway, I see this forum isn't too happening, but hopefully I'll get some responses." Sully

"I find the above statement offensive. Funny, but offensive. No offense intended by my comments." Shaun

growlsearcher
<25
<25

Postby growlsearcher » 26 Aug 2014, 05:16

It recorded with a SM57 into high quality PC soundcard. No clipping during recording. This is the sound from the cab

All recordings from Ultra Gain, not classic crunch.

The amp is still under warranty

shaun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby shaun » 26 Aug 2014, 07:22

OK, so if there was no clipping from the recording, take it back. That what the warranty is for. Unfortunately bad or faulty amps will leave the factory, and if you have concerns about the amp, politely ask for a refund or new amp, but don't let the salesman try to talk bullshit to you and say it not faulty.

There is nothing worse than buying new gear that is bad from the start. Makes you feel like you got had or ripped off.
"Anyway, I see this forum isn't too happening, but hopefully I'll get some responses." Sully

"I find the above statement offensive. Funny, but offensive. No offense intended by my comments." Shaun

growlsearcher
<25
<25

Postby growlsearcher » 26 Aug 2014, 10:16

I discovered the clipping noise at high volume today so that makes the use of warranty much easier.

But I still wonder about the way the signal gets choked. Is this normal to a degree when diming the gain on ultra gain?
Is this what they call blocking distortion?

Again, this is my first DSL. Have used JVM 410 before and never had this problem when diming the gain on od1 orange/red. Of course that was way to much

Rumy73
<25
<25
Been liked: 1 time

Postby Rumy73 » 28 Aug 2014, 05:02

All dsl amps come with lousy tubes that need to be changed and biased.

growlsearcher
<25
<25

Postby growlsearcher » 28 Aug 2014, 06:38

I've replaced the preamp tubes. No change. I suspect the preamp. Same problem with choked attack when I connect the preamp to a Marshall 9200 poweramp.

Rumy73
<25
<25

Postby Rumy73 » 28 Aug 2014, 09:29

growlsearcher wrote:I've replaced the preamp tubes. No change. I suspect the preamp. Same problem with choked attack when I connect the preamp to a Marshall 9200 poweramp.
the stock power amps are awful. Whether you change them, best to check the bias.

shaun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby shaun » 28 Aug 2014, 23:32

If it is bad valves/tubes, still take it back. Most retail shops here will have 3 month warranty on the valves. They should/can give you new ones.

Rumy73
<25
<25

Postby Rumy73 » 02 Sep 2014, 04:50

shaun wrote:If it is bad valves/tubes, still take it back. Most retail shops here will have 3 month warranty on the valves. They should/can give you new ones.
true but they will not give you a decent set

RedHerring
<25
<25

Postby RedHerring » 11 Dec 2014, 06:02

I have this exact same situation. Same fizz, same choked attack. I am trying to narrow it down. Did the OP get it fixed?

growlsearcher
<25
<25

Postby growlsearcher » 11 Dec 2014, 09:42

No fix, just frustration. I occasionally use it as a poweramp with my jmp-1 rack preamp . The poweramp is fine. The preamp is useless

RedHerring
<25
<25

Postby RedHerring » 11 Dec 2014, 10:37

I retubed my preamp with little change. I put in Mullard AX7s.

I am wondering if V1 was replaced with a AU7 with 1/5 the gain if it would make a difference.

I have read that it brings this issue under control but kills the green channel.

I will try it. I am pretty annoyed with this situation. Waste of money and time.

Cousin Muely
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 2794 times
Been liked: 2474 times

Postby Cousin Muely » 11 Dec 2014, 10:45

You may or may not have an issue with your amp. A good tube swap never hurts. All I have is a DSL1 to compare this to but it seems from your settings in your examples you are relying way too much on preamp and not enough power amp. Then on top of that you are boosting this. I have a lot more success by keeping the pre around the 830-1030 o'clock position and the master around 3 o'clock. You get a lot more fullness to the tone by cranking the master. The more master I have going the less pre I feel like I need. This also leaves you room to boost this tone as well and I own that EP Boost and I've used it with my DSL1.

Just a thought.

growlsearcher
<25
<25

Postby growlsearcher » 29 Dec 2014, 12:34

Cousin Muely wrote:You may or may not have an issue with your amp. A good tube swap never hurts. All I have is a DSL1 to compare this to but it seems from your settings in your examples you are relying way too much on preamp and not enough power amp. Then on top of that you are boosting this. I have a lot more success by keeping the pre around the 830-1030 o'clock position and the master around 3 o'clock. You get a lot more fullness to the tone by cranking the master. The more master I have going the less pre I feel like I need. This also leaves you room to boost this tone as well and I own that EP Boost and I've used it with my DSL1.

Just a thought.
Totally agree with you on running the gain lower and cranking the master, but I was trying to describe the choked attack which is more pronounced when cranking the gain. Played a dsl15 combo today and kept the gain at 9 o'clock and master at 1 o'clock. Sounded killer. Could go from clean to shred just using the volume on my guitar. No choked attack when cranking the gain. This is the sound I want from my 100 watter.

Is the dsl5 red channel identical to dsl100h red channel lead 2. Could I use the dsl5 preamp into a dsl100h poweramp and get the same result?

Return to “Marshall DSL (2012-2017)”