Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Doncikong
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Do my DSL sound normal?

Postby Doncikong » 02 Dec 2015, 16:34

Have same problem with mine dsl100h. Gain set above 7 it choke and get fuzzy clipping tone. Any ideas?

Mats A
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 108 times
Been liked: 199 times

Postby Mats A » 27 Dec 2015, 00:56

If that is the sound comming from the actual amp there must be something wrong with it. I had a DSL100H for a very short while and it sounded nothing like this. In fact it sounded very good with the stock valves and all. If only they had used a normal sized wooden box for it!

Anitoli
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 2610 times
Been liked: 2688 times

Postby Anitoli » 27 Dec 2015, 04:07

Rumy73 wrote:
shaun wrote:If it is bad valves/tubes, still take it back. Most retail shops here will have 3 month warranty on the valves. They should/can give you new ones.
true but they will not give you a decent set
What qualifies as a decent set?

Anitoli
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 2610 times
Been liked: 2688 times

Postby Anitoli » 27 Dec 2015, 04:19

The boosted sound is way too much input signal. High gain amps really don't need allot of signal boosting. It is possible to put so much signal onto the grid that you push the grid to positive in relation to ground and cause the tube to actually reduce or stop amplifying the incoming signal.

The first two samples didn't sound that bad to me. Maybe a little tweaking of the eq is in order but it's not showing signs of having some type of a more serious problem. Remember, amps that are new or close to new can be very bright and crisp sounding. Amps will mellow out over time and usage as the components burn in to their working environment.

You can experiment with tubes but i don't think that really is your primary problem at this point.

Doncikong
<25
<25

Postby Doncikong » 22 Jan 2016, 07:56

Im still having this problem. Very long way to the shop, so i will try to fix it my self. But need some help. Somebody know what causing the clipping sound? Lowering the pups helps but sounds weak on my other amps...

growlsearcher
<25
<25

Postby growlsearcher » 23 Feb 2016, 07:28

Mats A wrote:If that is the sound comming from the actual amp there must be something wrong with it. I had a DSL100H for a very short while and it sounded nothing like this. In fact it sounded very good with the stock valves and all. If only they had used a normal sized wooden box for it!
Yeah, that is a proper recording from the actual amp. The strange thing is that I bought another one and it sounded almost the same, so I returned that one and sold the first one. Then the other day I bought myself a DSL5C for home practise and there we have that Marshall tone again. No choked signal, it's playable on lower gain settings and it really sings. But of course it has a problem. It produces this hiss/noise even when vol at zero and unplugged. Sounds like an old computer fan. :bang :bang

Mats A
Knighted
Knighted

Postby Mats A » 01 Mar 2016, 05:39

Sounds a bit like when i turned the body up too much on my VM with my Les Paul or if you use a bad sounding distortion or fuzz pedal. Have you tried to turn down the bass. How do you set the resonance control. Do you have very hot pickups on your guitar? My brother just bought a DSL 100H and it sounds killer. But he uses the green classic gain channel and a booster or overdrive pedal. Remember if you set the gain low you will get a thinner more trebly sound.

Mats A
Knighted
Knighted

Postby Mats A » 01 Mar 2016, 05:51

Cousin Muely wrote:You may or may not have an issue with your amp. A good tube swap never hurts. All I have is a DSL1 to compare this to but it seems from your settings in your examples you are relying way too much on preamp and not enough power amp. Then on top of that you are boosting this. I have a lot more success by keeping the pre around the 830-1030 o'clock position and the master around 3 o'clock. You get a lot more fullness to the tone by cranking the master. The more master I have going the less pre I feel like I need. This also leaves you room to boost this tone as well and I own that EP Boost and I've used it with my DSL1.

Just a thought.
This depends. If you set the master high and the gain low you still wont push the Power amp and since the gain is set low you will more likely get a treblier more fizzy tone.

Return to “Marshall DSL (2012-2017)”