Moderator: longfxukxnhair

The Ballzz
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 39 times

WHY, DSL 40?

Postby The Ballzz » 10 Jul 2015, 08:23

I'm confused! I don't understand why Marshall doesn't offer the DSL40 in a head version? :crazy :dunno Given that it is the same chassis as the DSL100, it would be a simple task to just re screen print a DSL100 faceplate with the DSL40 monicker and slap it into a head cabinet. Considering the popularity of the DSL40C, I think Marshall would nearly double that popularity by making it available as a head!

I have already seen a fair number of DSL40 chassis's that have been mounted into head cabs. Some have been mounted with the chassis at the top (like an MG series) or simply flopped upside down and leaving the lettering, etc. upside down. For a current owner, getting new face/rear plates made would not be too pricey, but swapping them out is a little more involved than it would seem, at face value.

The fact that Sweetwater offers a version of the 40C with a Creamback (at the standard price) is a cool thing and the "What my amp looks like" crowd may like the new "Special" cosmetic versions, a head seems to be a no-brainer!
I Just Don't Get It?
Gene

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: WHY, DSL 40?

Postby surfnorthwest » 10 Jul 2015, 09:27

Don't know really as they offer the head in a 15 watt package. My guess is marketing research.

The 100H has the 100/50 watt option.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

The Ballzz
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 39 times

Re: WHY, DSL 40?

Postby The Ballzz » 10 Jul 2015, 09:48

Please don't misunderstand me. The DSL40C is certainly a fantastic package at an amazingly affordable price, for those who like open backed combos! The feature set and available sounds are pretty darned impressive. There are, however many like myself, who simply don't like that open back speaker sound and would rather not lug around the extra size and weight of the combo cab/speaker in addition to their 2x12 or 4x12 external cabinet just for the extremely rare occasion that I would actually use it as a combo.

In reference to your thoughts, it IS quite likey that Marshall gets a good enough deal on the speaker they put in this amp to actually boost the profit margin a small percentage over what they would probably have to sell a head for. :roll
Just Sayin'
Gene

Return to “Marshall DSL (2012-2017)”