General thoughts - Tube Swap in progress.

SL-5 Combo

Moderator: longfxukxnhair

evilflip
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

General thoughts - Tube Swap in progress.

Postby evilflip » 21 Jul 2013, 22:23

HI all! new dude here. Loving this amp. I was an early pre-order with Sweetwater and couldn't wait to get a low wattage JCM800ish amp. I built a AX84 HO a few years ago and it was close but something missing. Now that I've tried the sl5, I think it was the V30 speaker, It sounds amazing with this circuit. Plus, I'm a child of the best decade ever and AFD was Totally Rad :slash .
Anyway... Tubes... I yanked out V1 ( which I though was decent by the way) and plugged in a old RCA and it sounded great more separation and brought out more of the smooth and chewy flavor. I swapped out V2 and V3 too with vintage RCA and didn't hear much of a diff so I plugged back in the Marshall tube for these 2 positions. Now the power tubes....I thought the stock tube was ok. Can't put my finger on it but I believe it to add to the slightly harsh quality to the amp on some settings. Plugged in a old pair of SED EL34 - Basically Winged C before they were called that - KILLER- Loved it. Then for fun I tired a New Mullard.(NS). A little more focused and punchy but not as crunchy as the SED's. Then some JJ E34L. Sounded kinda like the Mullards but maybe a little darker had to turn up the pres and treb and had a slight 6L6 quality to them. Still sounded good but different good. Then I tied some a nasty Sovtek 6L6 and yanked it right out. yuk. Anyway the point is the amp really seems to respond to tube changes so if you get one and don't like the sound pop in a few diff tubes and see what you think. Now I'm going to order a Vintage Mullard. Since I only need one Tube easier to swallow the cost. I need to see what all the hype is for myself with out tripping my wife's BS alarm. Ding Ding Ding "You paid how much for that? IT looks like a light bulb." :roll

P A U L
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 989 times
Been liked: 753 times

Re: General thoughts - Tube Swap in progress.

Postby P A U L » 21 Jul 2013, 22:38

Welcome to the forum.

Happy tone chasin' w/ the SL-5

Good luck!

Leddyman
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 28 times

Postby Leddyman » 23 Jul 2013, 07:24

Keep us informed. I have been thinking about doing some tube rolling myself. Interested to hear what things sound like.

Got clips?

Anitoli
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 2610 times
Been liked: 2688 times

Postby Anitoli » 23 Jul 2013, 14:21

Welcome aboard.

Return to “Marshall SL-5”