Moderator: longfxukxnhair

redeyedjim
<25
<25
Has Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times

My SL5, a work in progress

Postby redeyedjim » 25 Jul 2013, 12:58

Like MarshallMark in this thread, I bougt this amp because it's a 5 watt, 1x12, two channel, single ended EL34 Marshall w/built in reverb, and less because it has Slash's name associated with it. Nothing against Slash, just not my goto rock subgenre, etc.

Since getting it a few weeks ago, I've been rolling various old tubes and speakers through it, trying to grab a tone that's a bit more open and, frankly, louder. This is where I'm at now:

V1: vintage Japanese-made IEC/Mullard 12AX7
V2: vintage US made RCA 7025
V3: vintage Japanese-made IEC/Mullard 12AU7 -- this tube drives the tone stack and changing to a lower powered tube seems to make the sound less harsh and brittle to my ears.

Power tube: JJ KT-88 (HUGE IMPROVEMENT, IMO)

Speaker: Scumback M75-PVC, open back cab; this is a great speaker for this amp, IMO, but I have a M55-PVC on the way so I hope to be giving that a try within a week or so. And I guess I'm just not into the closed back sound.

I am loving this setup! The KT-88 really gives the amp more headroom and imparts a lot of "body" to the notes. It also makes it louder, which doesn't hurt. I tried several different EL34s first, and while they definitely darkened the tone, they also gave more compression than I wanted. The KT-88 solves that issue. If you have access to one, I suggest giving it a try and seeing what it does for you. You may be surprised.

The clean channel is really great, and I think I like it as much as the OD channel, if not more.

I will try to get some clips together, maybe this weekend, and certainly after the M55 comes.

Glad I found this forum. Looking forward to hearing how others are using their SL5s.

Micky
Has Liked: 31 times
Been liked: 38 times

Re: My SL5, a work in progress

Postby Micky » 25 Jul 2013, 15:12

Cool. I have been waiting for someone to try something other than an EL34 in this amp...

Alpeggio
Secret Blueser
Secret Blueser
Has Liked: 5144 times
Been liked: 3146 times

Re: My SL5, a work in progress

Postby Alpeggio » 26 Jul 2013, 03:02

Hey redeyedjim, welcome to the Roadhouse.
Cool what you did there, made it your own. Hats off the Santiago who made it easy for you to do that!!!
Al
SV20 Plexi, JTM45, YJM plexi, KK800, JTM60, JTM1, JMP1, JCM1, DSL1, JVM1.

Return to “Marshall SL-5”