Moderator: longfxukxnhair

xmacvicar
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Bought a Jubilee 1x12 Combo Tonight!

Postby xmacvicar » 27 Oct 2012, 19:50

Walked into my local music store and was joking around about getting a fender deluxe reverb (small talk) and worker says " ...i have an amp for you..."... He takes me out back and lifts off the cover and reveals a pretty great shape Jubilee combo. I played it for 20 mins and walked out the door with it. I have a practise tomorrow with a new band I am trying to form; traditionally i've been playing pedals into my AC30 which I really love, but I am going to give the Jubilee a solid thrash tomorrow.

Man this thing sounds amazing.

I have a Class 5, but for some reason I don't think i'll be playing it much anymore ;)

xmacvicar
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Re: Bought a Jubilee 1x12 Combo Tonight!

Postby xmacvicar » 27 Oct 2012, 21:03

I dont know the answer here....I have an Avatar 2x12 loaded with Celestion G12H30's and I am unsure if I can use it with the Jubilee 2554. I am unsure about impedances...can anyone help?

Looks like the 1x12 speaker in the 2554 is an 8 ohm. Thats basically all I know.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 28 Oct 2012, 07:16

Talk about being in the right place at the right time, congrats on the Silver Jube. You should be able to run the Avatar but might have to disconnect the speaker from the combo to do so. Take a look at the owners manual here.

http://marshallroadhouse.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=11670

If the Avatar is wired for 8 ohms you will be fine. To run both you might need to knock the amp down to 4ohms
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

TubeStack
Been liked: 9 times

Postby TubeStack » 28 Oct 2012, 07:39

Nice find! Congrats and post some pics, when you can.

gtrman
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 580 times
Been liked: 550 times

Postby gtrman » 29 Oct 2012, 01:44

I have the 2555 which I use live ... but use my 2554 if I am playing in a small club.
It sounds absolutely great for a small combo.
Here's a pic on the back of mine .. as you can see it's real easy to unplug the internal speaker for correct OHM match.

Fractal AX-8
Axe-Fx III

Charvel Guthrie Govan Signature HSH Caramelized Ash
Charvel Guthrie Govan Signature HSH Flame Maple
Suhr 80's Shred MKII Tiger Stripe
Gibson LP VOS 57 Goldtop
PRS John Mayer Silver Sky Horizon

xmacvicar
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby xmacvicar » 29 Oct 2012, 09:10

Thanks for posting guys....the 2554 allows you to switch between 8 and 4 ohms (so my 16ohm cab won't work?). I really don't' know much about this stuff, sorry for my noobish ness.

GTRMAN, how do you like to set yours up for a small gig scenario?

JkGriffin
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 46 times
Been liked: 157 times

Postby JkGriffin » 29 Oct 2012, 10:28

Oh the envy... :roll

Congrats dude...

xmacvicar
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby xmacvicar » 29 Oct 2012, 13:22

This is crazy!

With my Les Paul 2011 Traditional...if I do a whole step bend on the 9th fret (and some locations on the B string) the amp just explodes like it kicks in a fuzz pedal and the overtone is HUGE. Actually, its so huge that I am not sure if its supposed to do that...... I am going to record it upload it to youtube

xmacvicar
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby xmacvicar » 29 Oct 2012, 13:48

Here it is.....

Crazy overtone is at 0:57

Is this a microphonic tube at a certain frequency?

JkGriffin
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby JkGriffin » 29 Oct 2012, 14:10

Doesn't actually sound right to me...
Sounds mostly really good though... but that fizz should not be there for sure. If you hadn't pointed it out I would say it was your microphone couldn't handle the volume.

Have you tried it with an external speaker instead? To me it sound like it just may be a damaged speaker... like you have some kind of tear that become audible at certain frequencies... like that bending...
From what I can hear you have this fizzy sound on some other places, but more subtle... 0:38 for instance..

sugarkane
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Postby sugarkane » 04 Nov 2012, 10:33

As well as the above I would check for tube rattle and other cabinet vibrations that can be triggered at resonant frequencies. Anything only a tiny bit loose - speaker mounts, tubes, cab screws etc.

That it occurs only on some notes is indicative of this or a speaker cone fault. Always worth swapping the tubes with a "new" S/H amp, as well.

I had exactly this on an early 80s Mesa Mark IIb 1x12. Amazing sounding amp that crapped out in just this way. It took months to sort it out and my nearest "official" Mesa was less than useless. One day I took the whole shebang apart, removed the speaker, cab shell, tubes etc. and then put it back together again. Voila. Problem solved.

What did I do? Don't know, but I did something that worked.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, and let us know how you get on. Don't leave us hanging and not knowing.

JkGriffin
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby JkGriffin » 04 Nov 2012, 10:57

sugarkane wrote:As well as the above I would check for tube rattle and other cabinet vibrations that can be triggered at resonant frequencies. Anything only a tiny bit loose - speaker mounts, tubes, cab screws etc.

That it occurs only on some notes is indicative of this or a speaker cone fault. Always worth swapping the tubes with a "new" S/H amp, as well.

I had exactly this on an early 80s Mesa Mark IIb 1x12. Amazing sounding amp that crapped out in just this way. It took months to sort it out and my nearest "official" Mesa was less than useless. One day I took the whole shebang apart, removed the speaker, cab shell, tubes etc. and then put it back together again. Voila. Problem solved.

What did I do? Don't know, but I did something that worked.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, and let us know how you get on. Don't leave us hanging and not knowing.
Nah... it's the speaker for sure... :whatever

http://www.marshallroadhouse.com/viewto ... =2&t=12169

sugarkane
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby sugarkane » 05 Nov 2012, 12:22

Well, to dismiss everything in my post does kind of miss the points that;
You acknowledge this is an unusual and rare fault
That I had another 1x12 combo that exhibited exactly this behaviour
That one of only three Mesa-approved service enginners in the UK was baffled by it
I am a guy round here that has solved this problem

We do agree that this, by a process of elimination, must by a sympathetic resonance. You think it must be the speaker.

But define "speaker".
Is it the paper cone (that might have a tear in it and resonate unpleasantly on some notes)?
Is it the magnet (that might attract miscellaneous metal crap like paper clips/loose chips that resonate unpleasantly on some notes)?
Is it the speaker mounts (that might work loose from the combo shell and resonate unpleasantly on some notes)?
Is it the speaker mount screws (that might work loose from the speaker mounts and resonate unpleasantly on some notes)?

If you pop for a new speaker, remove the old one, tighten in nicely a new one and Hey Presto! all is good again ... well, you might be fooled into thinking that the old speaker was faulty. Maybe the whole removal and re-installation clean out was the necessary and would have worked as well for the existing speaker.

If you've got money to burn then by all means throw away a period-correct speaker on a high-priced Jubilee collector's item and replace it with a new Vintage 30 that will de-value the amp. Without first trying some cheap and quick house cleaning. That's probably overdue on a 25-year old item anyway.

As I get Marshall spares at cost a new speaker wouldn't be that expensive for me but I'd still try some basic maintenance on an amp this age before I started cannibalising it. That's what I'd want from a tech working for me, anyway.

I agree with JK that the very first sensible step would be to run out the amp section of the combo to a separate speaker cab.

Just trying to help a frustrated owner with recommendations that have proven to work for me. Good luck with it.

JkGriffin
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby JkGriffin » 05 Nov 2012, 13:40

Hehe... I take it you didn't actually read behind the lines and opened the link I gave :computer
I didn't intend to dismiss you points, but rather point you in the direction where you can find the thread that is sort of a sequel to this one...

He didn't as much keep us in the dark as he did open a new thread with a video showing where you could hear whats wrong and that he took it back and they found the old speaker was broken (due to playing too loud according to the store I might add :giveup )... so he came home with a speaker replaced which was covered by the warranty...

So here again:
http://www.marshallroadhouse.com/viewto ... =2&t=12169

See you on the other thread :howdy

sugarkane
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby sugarkane » 05 Nov 2012, 15:56

No, I didn't read your link before posting here. I was at that "I have low blood sugar levels and needed my tea hours ago" state - just wanted to help and get the damn post over and done. I almost never post unless I feel I might be able to contribute to a joint trouble-shoot.

Having read the other page straight after hitting "Post Reply" I wish I'd contributed sooner. That shop sounds ... I'm searching for the right word ... misguided in some of its opinions. "You broke it by playing at Vol 10". Really? That's what you're going to say?

I think, shooting blind to this, that the similarities to my own situation stand. We'll never now know if simple servicing would have cured the ailment and whether a entirely new speaker was necessary. Glad there was an end to the storyline, though.

BTW - I own a 2254. Didn't the original poster say that his doesn't have a 16 ohm output. Is that right? Mine does.

Return to “Marshall 25th Anniversarary Silver Jubilee (RI)”