The Ballzz
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 39 times

Ballpark Price Point?

Postby The Ballzz » 30 Apr 2015, 09:06

Hi Folks,
I realize that we won't have specific pricing until the formal release, but wondering about a general idea of the intended price range. For the heads, are we assuming the $600 to $1000 range or should we expect more like a $1500 to $1800 range? From the looks of the gut shots, it appears to be sort of a "hybrid" of hand wired turrets on what looks to be a "semi" printed board? It seems that the assembly may not be as tedious and time consuming as old school, hand wired turret construction and that may help to keep the price down to an affordable point. If the pricing is within reason AND they actually sound good, I see at least one in my future!

On a different note, it is my opinion that a very good a marketable feature would have been to have a 15-ish watt option in addition to the 30 and 5 watt choices. Of course, 5 watts can still get pretty darned loud as evidenced by the Class, SL-5 and the DSL-5. I currently gig regularly with a Class5 head or DSL-5C!

Just Gettin' "ANTSY"
Gene

Cousin Muely
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 2794 times
Been liked: 2476 times

Re: Ballpark Price Point?

Postby Cousin Muely » 30 Apr 2015, 09:21

I've noticed that it appears like they have streamlined the handwired process and wondered if that might equate to a little savings over the traditional handwired. We'll see.

Also, these have power reduction built in already.

Sully807
Quality Control
Quality Control
Has Liked: 347 times
Been liked: 829 times

Postby Sully807 » 30 Apr 2015, 09:27

The only things that aren't handwired are the modern options like channel switching etc. also they are pushing that as being revolutionary in the amp world (in reality it isn't so much) and I think in the world corporate marketing and good old capitalism we'll probably end up seeing a premium being added for that even if it does reduce manufacturing time, for overseas you'll be looking at 1000s easily
les Paul -> cry baby -> mxr/CAE boost/line driver -> mxr m77 super bad ass modified OD -> marshall 2266 front end ->loop -> TC flashback delay -> mxr 10 band EQ -> marshall sv-1 chorus -> loop return -> marshall mf280a 4x12 cab

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 30 Apr 2015, 14:35

We don't know yet. Once officially launched this summer the Retailers should have a MAP price set by then. I don't think they will be much more than the current handwired heads and combos.

While only a guess I am thinking they will be $2700 - $3200, could be totally off base.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Postby SteveD » 30 Apr 2015, 14:37

All amps in the Astoria range are 30W. With the power reduction pull switch enabled, the max power changes to 15W.

Best not speculate about anything. Be patient guys.
Still my guitar gently weeps

Mike_LA
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 712 times
Been liked: 455 times

Postby Mike_LA » 30 Apr 2015, 14:39

surfnorthwest wrote:We don't know yet. Once officially launched this summer the Retailers should have a MAP price.

While only a guess I am thinking they will be $2700 - 3400
HUmmm, how much was that pristine 6100LE blue stack? :bgrin :Stir
6101 // DSL-1H // JVM-1H // DSL1C // AVT50 // JTM30 // MS-2 // Vox // Orange // Fender // Avid // Peavy // :Thumbs

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 30 Apr 2015, 14:42

Well I know for sure I want the AST1 combo, and knowing myself I will also grab a AST3 head.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Torshalla
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 2638 times
Been liked: 1527 times

Postby Torshalla » 01 May 2015, 09:22

I am also very curious...
Steve, does the power reduction go down to 0.1 watt as the AFD100 and the anniversary amps?

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Postby SteveD » 01 May 2015, 17:00

Torshalla wrote:I am also very curious...
Steve, does the power reduction go down to 0.1 watt as the AFD100 and the anniversary amps?
The power reduction toggles between two ranges on the Master Volume, 0 to 30W or 0 to 15W. Analogue variation of output volume is still with the Master Volume control itself.
Still my guitar gently weeps

Marker
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 393 times
Been liked: 321 times

Postby Marker » 01 May 2015, 17:57

SteveD wrote:
Torshalla wrote:I am also very curious...
The power reduction toggles between two ranges on the Master Volume, 0 to 30W or 0 to 15W. Analogue variation of output volume is still with the Master Volume control itself.
Thanks for the clarification; I still have doubts about the power reduction design.
I'm I reading wrong or the power reduction is simply a different maping of the volume knob being the circuit exactly the same in either 15w vs 30 watt setting except for the volume knob range (or resistance of the pot or something similar on the circuit path)? If so will there be any tone advantage in driving it with volume at 10 on 15 watt vs driving it with volume at 5-7 on 30W?

If the difference is just the pot range than the tone will be exactly the same in either 15w or 30w, the only thing different is the volume because the pot has more resistance on 15w so it would be a small trick to fine tune the volume better but no tone improvement at all if you play the same volume in either 15w or 30w , just a different setting on the pot.

I suspect I understood it wrong, I hope that the power reduction isn't just a stacked volume pot with 2 different ranges (2 different potentiometer tracks) and a relay switch to comutate between both, like this:

Torshalla
Knighted
Knighted

Postby Torshalla » 02 May 2015, 00:39

Thanks for your answer Steve! Great to have you here helping us! :)
Now... I must admit I do not understand :) i need to study amp designs... :)
Do you mean that the power reduction takes the amp down to 15watt and the master volume is a regular master volume?
Or do you mean it is a new sort of MV which reduces power output without affecting tone?

kossofffan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 1089 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby kossofffan » 13 May 2015, 05:49

This is the first advert for The Astoria range I've seen and is at a much better price point than I guessed. Can't wait for summer NAMM and the demos to hear them :whoo

http://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-ampli ... 1246page-1

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 13 May 2015, 06:03

kossofffan wrote:This is the first advert for The Astoria range I've seen and is at a much better price point than I guessed. Can't wait for summer NAMM and the demos to hear them :whoo

http://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-ampli ... 1246page-1
Agree, they really are in line with other handwired amps Marshall sells.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

Marker
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 393 times
Been liked: 321 times

Postby Marker » 13 May 2015, 06:52

Nice find.
It seems very expensive for me, at last for the European standard prices for Marshall amps.

If you arrange the Marshall amps range by price you have:
http://www.andertons.co.uk/Products/Pro ... 1859page-1

At 2500 Euro to 2750 Euro it's the most expensive Marshall available except for the Bluesbreaker.
The JTM45 Handwired get's in between the price range of the Astoria series but the JTM45 it's full handwired while the Astoria is PCB + turrets for the components. Plus the JTM 45 is a proven and mytic amp, the Astoria is starting now and still has to create it's own legend.

To be honest I was expecting it priced at around the 2555x or maximum at the 1959SLP. It's risky to launch it at that price as it's not a classic/legendary amp yet but many other makers price their "boutique" amps on the same range, there's a small market for that. Let's see if the Marshall pricing strategy for the Astoria is proven right.

Torshalla
Knighted
Knighted

Postby Torshalla » 13 May 2015, 10:54

I must say I agree with Marker... it is expensive compared to the rest of the range... (i.e. 1959 HW)
I guess the prices are market based rather than cost based... it is a small market but one where people are ready to spend money if the amp is right for them...

But I am really looking forward to hearing the demos and to try them myself... then who knows... :)
Although I already have too much gear and can't see how any amp could be better than my AFD... or than my 1 watts...

Return to “Marshall Astoria”