Moderator: longfxukxnhair

MacFangus
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 27 times
Been liked: 60 times

Re: Back to Rockman!

Postby MacFangus » 22 Mar 2017, 14:39

I just completed the setup on the RMC/Rockman head. I wish the MIDI Octopus had two more switch links, but it's fine as-is. Sounds incredible!

TubeStack
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 145 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby TubeStack » 23 Mar 2017, 20:20

Cool thread.

When I was 14 I ordered the Distortion Generator from the back of a Guitar World mag. Pretty cool, exotic piece of gear, when it arrived up here in Canada. :)

I used it into my dad's solid-state Yamaha 4x10, probably not the greatest tone, haha. But I loved it.

Also had the Rockman headphone practice unit, really loved that, too. Many hours in my room playing through it. Actually still have it, but it won't turn on anymore. I'd love to get it working again; I'm not a fan of any of the new digital options. Analog for me.

MacFangus
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby MacFangus » 26 Mar 2017, 12:04

My new faceplate is on its way!

MacFangus
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby MacFangus » 27 Mar 2017, 21:38

I got a Sustainor Model 200 today. To my ears the 100, 100 w/factory 100A updates, and 100A units sound preferable. IMO, the Model 200 sounds identical to the Rockman X100 portable unit, which for some may be just the ticket. The Model 100 is more amp-like IMO. The 200 cleans sound rounder, but some tweaking to Sustainor EQ takes care of that. I wonder… Was the double IC mod done to bring the model 200 compressor (attack and release) back to 100 and 100A functionality? I'd need to try both 200 models side-by-side.

Day 2…
I'm definitely preferring the 100A circuit over the 200. The 200 cleans are a bit better, but nothing that can't be enhanced using the EQ in the Sustainor loop. Note: Some 100 models had 100A revisions done to them by SR&D. You have to inspect the PCB to know if your 100 has 100A revisions. The 200 appears to have an additional op-amp that is missing in models 100 and 100A. I'm going to have to go back into the 200 to be sure... They're all good! Depends on which model you prefer.

MacFangus
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby MacFangus » 30 Mar 2017, 19:39

Rockman head complete. Running it in-tandem (via ABY) with my '87 Marshall Silver Jubilee (w/Lexicon PCM60), for dead-nuts Boston 1st album tones! :)

MacFangus
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby MacFangus » 31 Mar 2017, 10:00

What is really cool, is that I can easily make adjustments that take it completely away from the Boston sound, but still have that mid presence that (to me) is the essence of great rock guitar tone. The Carvin F150 is the best sounding solid-state amp I've ever used for guitar. Without the expander activated, it has a flat, ultra-transparent response for PA amplification. Activating the expander instantly transformers it with a tube-like response, with emphasis on the lower-mids and bottom-end. I'm going to test it against my Mesa 20/20 today, now that all of the components are in-place.

ClassicRock88
Roadhouse Professor
Roadhouse Professor
Has Liked: 255 times
Been liked: 419 times

Postby ClassicRock88 » 23 Jun 2017, 17:34

Cousin Muely wrote:I had every thing you just said back when all this was the latest. I ran it all through the clean channel of a JCM 800 stack with a Gibson Explorer. Even people who knew nothing about guitar used to ask about that sound i had. It did sound really good with the tube warmth, headroom and 8 speakers. Other guitarist used a similar but not as tech as mine setup. Everything we played sounded like Boston on guitars but I always thought Boston sounded pretty damn good anyway. LOL! I lost every bit of that in a Bar fire where we played.

They're the reason why the first time I heard an older Marshall with a Treble Booster I thought "That's It!" I don't know for sure if that was Scholz's idea but that's what it reminds me of.

That was Scholz's idea. Boston is my favorite band and I've done an inordinate amount of research into the Boston I and Don't Look Back tones. That's what really originally made me a Marshall fan! He used metal panel Super leads with a power soak to bring the volume down. He boosted the Marshalls with a line booster and an MXR 6 band which peaked out in the 800hz frequency band. That band is the Boston sound. After I found that out I had already acquired a JCM 800 and I put a 6 band like that set up the way he had it. With a bit of verb or delay in the loop it nailed it. I could also get the sound through an MG100. Basically take an aggressive British amp and goose the high mids with an active EQ. That's the core guitar tone and it's not one of these "it's in his hands" tones. It sounds like Boston. Unfortunately Scholz said the Marshalls broke down too much with that kind of treatment and he decided to build something that would make that sound but that wouldn't melt power tubes and OT's.

Cousin Muely
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 1655 times
Been liked: 1402 times

Postby Cousin Muely » 23 Jun 2017, 17:57

ClassicRock88 wrote: That was Scholz's idea. Boston is my favorite band and I've done an inordinate amount of research into the Boston I and Don't Look Back tones. That's what really originally made me a Marshall fan! He used metal panel Super leads with a power soak to bring the volume down. He boosted the Marshalls with a line booster and an MXR 6 band which peaked out in the 800hz frequency band. That band is the Boston sound. After I found that out I had already acquired a JCM 800 and I put a 6 band like that set up the way he had it. With a bit of verb or delay in the loop it nailed it. I could also get the sound through an MG100. Basically take an aggressive British amp and goose the high mids with an active EQ. That's the core guitar tone and it's not one of these "it's in his hands" tones. It sounds like Boston. Unfortunately Scholz said the Marshalls broke down too much with that kind of treatment and he decided to build something that would make that sound but that wouldn't melt power tubes and OT's.

Good info Classic Rock! Yes. Dont Look Back was definitely the tone that grabbed my young ears in 76. It was the first guitar sound that stood out to me.
2013 Fender American Vintage 1959 Stratocaster
2005 R7 Gibson Les Paul Gold Top
1993 Fender Stratocaster Deluxe Plus
2005 Gibson Faded Flying V
1981 Ibanez Artist
1982 Gibson Explorer (Retired for the moment)
Marshall Mini Jubilee 2525H
Marshall 2061CX Cab
Marshall JTM 1x12
Marshall JTM1 Custom Offset Stack
Marshall 50th Anniversery JTM1, JMP1, JCM1, DSL1, JVM1,
Marshall Class 5 Head and Cab
VHT Special 6 Ultra Head
Stagecraft Heirloom 1x12
Line 6 Helix - KRK Rokit Studio Monitors

Return to “Solid State Amplifiers”