record335
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 7 times

Quick Ableton Demo with VM and Les Paul

Postby record335 » 22 Feb 2011, 13:51

Hi all,

I have been getting in to Ableton 8.0 lately and been enjoying tinkering around with the trusty VM and a few sounds. This clip has no bass or real drums but proves that some reasonable results can be gotten from a laptop and some software. It's not complete; I know but I have just been discovering some of the capablilty/possibility with the limited amount of recording gear that I use. I might consider putting some of my own stuff down in the future. By the way.........I love my VM!

Regards

Mark
Attachments
Knocking on Heavens Door.mp3
(2.93 MiB) Downloaded 853 times
1993 Gibson Les Paul Birdseye Maple Standard
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 425a cabinet
Boss GT-10 Fx
Slash Signature Cry Baby
Pro Tools 12.5
Steven Slate plugins

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: Quick Ableton Demo with VM and Les Paul

Postby surfnorthwest » 22 Feb 2011, 16:59

Sounds good!! Watch out though, once you get into recording it becomes addicting, also not very wallet friendly.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

record335
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby record335 » 22 Feb 2011, 22:47

Thanks Surf!

It's largely due to listening to the audio clips that you have uploaded, that I have decided to play around with the VM and a microphone. I can well imagine that it gets extremely expensive! You are right though, there is something very addictive about putting tracks down electronically.

Regards

Mark
Marshall 425a cabinet
Boss GT-10 Fx
Slash Signature Cry Baby
Pro Tools 12.5
Steven Slate plugins

Licks61SG
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 4 times

Postby Licks61SG » 23 Feb 2011, 06:11

Sounds great mate. I use Ableton 8 as well and started some home recordings with the band this week with my VM. I got the waves mercury plugins that Surf swears by, can't wait to learn how to use them.
Gibson SG 61' Reissue
Marshall VM 2466 w/ 425a Cab
Digitech Jimi Hendrix Pedal
Marshall MG50DFX

Slashwannabe1
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 182 times
Been liked: 98 times

Postby Slashwannabe1 » 23 Feb 2011, 17:03

record335 wrote:Hi all,

I have been getting in to Ableton 8.0 lately and been enjoying tinkering around with the trusty VM and a few sounds. This clip has no bass or real drums but proves that some reasonable results can be gotten from a laptop and some software. It's not complete; I know but I have just been discovering some of the capablilty/possibility with the limited amount of recording gear that I use. I might consider putting some of my own stuff down in the future. By the way.........I love my VM!

Regards

Mark
Hey Mark sounds great! what kind of settings/effects are you using?
Amplifiers: Marshall 2555x 100watt Silver Jubilee Full Stack with matching 2551AV & 2551BV 8x12 70 watt Vintage 30 speakers.
Marshall 2466 100watt Vintage Modern w/ Matching 425A cab
1966 Fender Bandmaster
Effects: MXR:M234 Analog Chorus, Phase90, Slash Octave Fuzz, Slash SC95 Wah. BOSS: RV-3 & DD3 Reverb & Delay, GE-7 EQ,NS-2 Noise Suppressor, CS-3 Compression Sustainer
Guitars: 6 Les Pauls with Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 Pro Pickups.

Mats A
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 108 times
Been liked: 199 times

Postby Mats A » 27 Feb 2011, 08:05

Good, is it a chorus or a flanger that you use on the clean parts?

record335
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby record335 » 28 Feb 2011, 06:50

Hi,

I used the VM and an SM57 mic angled almost against the speaker cone of the 4x12. I used Ableton 8.0 as the software on a DAW and used my Boss GT-10 for adding some effect to the audio channels. I tried to replicate as far as possible the album version as it has a fair range of effects in the left and right audio channels. I used chorus for the main intro and changed the body and detail on the VM according to either Izzy or Slash's parts. I did use the accoustic simulator for the clean sounding guitar parts in the right channel for the verses and solo.

For the most part the VM was set to 6 or 7 across the board. I think for a quick mess around in the spare room, I was actually really please with the outcome for a quick demo. I will get my head around the Waves .vst files that can be added for the post production kind of stuff. I am going to do a few more songs over the coming weeks and will try to replicate the studio sound where possible. I am looking forward to doing a few Led Zeppelin covers as the VM is definately the tone monster of choice for the Zep stuff. I am not in a band or anything so am really just tinkering at the moment to see the kind of stuff I can achieve with limited recording gear and some persistance.

I think the solo came out well in terms of sound and think a lot of that is down to the Seymour Duncan Alnico II's that are in the Les Paul. I will continue to see what the art of the possible is and experiment more. Thanks for the comments guys! That is what this great forum is all about!

Regards

Mark
Marshall 425a cabinet
Boss GT-10 Fx
Slash Signature Cry Baby
Pro Tools 12.5
Steven Slate plugins

Return to “Roadhouse Sound Check”