Moderator: longfxukxnhair

classic rock
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

My first clip - rock blues

Postby classic rock » 11 Aug 2008, 17:12

Hi guys this is really my first clip of showing off the VM. Like all of you I completely love this amp. I recorded a little jam this evening. I could have made the drum track better but I just put all of this together real quick. The solo is completely improv but I wish i did better on the wah part of the solo. I thought the quality of the recording was pretty good and its about time I post what I can do with the VM. Anyways, I hope you guys enjoy it. Thanks for listening.

Click the link and its the only song there

http://www.myspace.com/rockeronacid

Just wanted to add that please feel free to give any constructive criticism. I have only been playing for about 4 years now and I am looking for any advice I can get. Thanks.
ELECTRIC GUITARS
American Strat APS-2 \ Gibson Les Paul #34 '57s \ Gibson Les Paul Classic Burstbucker Pros \
AMPS
Marshall VM 2466 425A Cab \ 65 Fender Bassman 50 Watt \ 93 Fender Vibroverb
EFFECTS
Dunlop JH-F1 > Barber Direct Drive LG > Zendrive > Lovepedal Vibe > Fulltone Wah > Korg Pitch Black Tuner > Radial Bigshot A/B/Y Switch
ATTENUATORS
Marshall Powerbrake \ Dr Z Airbrake - - - Powebrake definitely takes the cake - - -

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 11 Aug 2008, 19:53

Slow down, being a four year player does not mean you have to impress by playing fast. Your leads are all over the place.

Concentrate on the notes you are playing and take it slow, after all this is the blues. Choose about twelve notes that work with your backing rythem and form a scale. Stick to the scale moving it up or down an octive if you wish.

Speed comes with time and from the soul, make it simple, feel the rythem and fill in the notes with your thoughts and feelings. Playing lead guitar comes from the soul and heart, some guys will never get it. BB King does not play fast but plays with a lot of soul, Billy Gibbons also does not play fast (but he can) he usally chooses to take a walk while showing you the park rather than having you look outside the window while he drives the bus 60 mph.

Most of all keep the love of playing.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

classic rock
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby classic rock » 13 Aug 2008, 12:28

Surf, thanks for the input but what do you mean by moving the scale up or down an octive?
ELECTRIC GUITARS
American Strat APS-2 \ Gibson Les Paul #34 '57s \ Gibson Les Paul Classic Burstbucker Pros \
AMPS
EFFECTS
Dunlop JH-F1 > Barber Direct Drive LG > Zendrive > Lovepedal Vibe > Fulltone Wah > Korg Pitch Black Tuner > Radial Bigshot A/B/Y Switch
ATTENUATORS
Marshall Powerbrake \ Dr Z Airbrake - - - Powebrake definitely takes the cake - - -

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 13 Aug 2008, 20:26

Figure out what note it is that your scale starts on, Lets say for exaple your scale startes on the E string third fret and that is the note G. And lets say you picked out 8 notes starting with that G that form a scale that goes with your rythem. What I mean by playing it a octive higher is find the next G note on your guitar and play the same scale starting on that note (you next G note would be found on the A string 10th fret).

Play the notes in your scale mixing them up in both octives......

I hope I just didn't confuse the heck out of you.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

TonyC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 27 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby TonyC » 14 Aug 2008, 07:54

Hi classic rock!
You're playing a rock blues in the key of B and it sounds like you have good knowledge about the B minor pentatonic in the 7-10 fret position. A tip is to learn this scale in additional positions as it will naturally make you play the same scale but a bit different than you do on the 7-10 fret position, thus creating variation and make it more interesting.

Here's a video about the A minor pentatonic in five different positions:

http://www.tubeguitar.com/five-position ... nic-scale/

I can hear that you want much to come out when you play, you're putting energy into your playing and that's a very good thing. It can sometimes make you take it a bit on the wrong side of one's motoric skills, but that's what you have to do to improve on that part. You wouldn't wanna put it on an album perhaps, but let it all out when you practice.

One thing I do with my guitar students is letting them discover how much it takes to play really slow but really good. I have them play the old 80's "Top Gun Theme" with Steve Stevens on guitar:

Many of my students can play really fast riffs and stuff, but almost all of them have big problems with this song. It has an easy melody, it's fairly slow and it sounds great with Steve Stevens, it shouldn't be that hard, right? But nearly everyone has problems with it. The timing is all over the place, mostly very stressed and "ahead", those long expressive notes with musical micro intonation and tasty bends and vibrato are not there. They can't let the notes bloom with expression, it's like they just cant wait to play the next note. Their picking technique can't produce one long beautiful singing note. This is not easy they discovered. They appreciate very much lessons like this and we talk quite a bit on the subject and most of them are very happy when they start to listen to themselves in a new way. It can be a real eye opener.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with speed or playing fast, I practice this myself quite a bit. But I try to make sure I never loose my ability to make every note I play count in some way. I'm not fond of meaningless runs. I've actually been very inspired by the late sax player Michael Brecker regarding this.

Hmmm... maybe I have too much spare time today :)

Anyway, keep on rocking and play much! :D

classic rock
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby classic rock » 14 Aug 2008, 12:47

TonyC- Thanks for the great advice and taking the time to explain it all. You are right I am playing in the key of B. And you are right about the 7-10 position. I can play in that position pretty well but I have trouble creating licks and riffs in the other positions. I hope this youtube video helps. I do practice a lot of slow blues and I actually think I play that better because like you said I do put a lot of energy and feeling into my playing. I was not trying to impress anyone by trying to play fast. I never play guitar to impress, I play because I love it. I played the solo wildly like a mad man because its fun for me :lol: It might not sound that great I but in time it will get better. Anyway thanks guys for all the input and advice so far. I really liked the tone of the rhythm guitar. What did you guys think about the tone?

Also I never had a teacher but I am really starting to consider it.
ELECTRIC GUITARS
AMPS
EFFECTS
ATTENUATORS

TonyC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 27 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby TonyC » 14 Aug 2008, 14:34

You play guitar like you do for all the right reasons CR :) And your rhythm tone was great!

Consider having a teacher for his knowledge and his ability to inspire, but back off if he tries to force you into something you feel is not right for you.

coldsteal2
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Been liked: 1 time

Postby coldsteal2 » 15 Aug 2008, 16:36

You are off to a great start
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_mu ... dID=678085

Marshall 2266 head
Marshall 900 100watt head
Marshall 800 100watt head (1989)
Marshall 1960A cab 2 G12H, and 2 G12M Heritiage Greenbacks
Marshall DSL 401 V-30
Marshall AVT50 V-30
Crate cab Celestion G12M 70s

classic rock
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby classic rock » 15 Aug 2008, 23:31

thanks coldsteal
ELECTRIC GUITARS
AMPS
EFFECTS
ATTENUATORS

Return to “Roadhouse Sound Check”