Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Slashwannabe1
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 182 times
Been liked: 98 times

My VM's Slash tone.

Postby Slashwannabe1 » 19 Mar 2009, 05:27

Here's my attempt at Double Talkin Jive by Guns N Roses.

Its a mix between the CD solo and the 1993 Germany concert with an extended intro that includes "Train Kept a Rollin'"

Some parts were sloppy but its kinda fun to listen to.

Amp settings:

Presence: 7 Bass: 6 Middle: 4.5 Treble:7 Detail: 7 Body: 5 High dynamic range no mid boost. NO REVERB used. Master Volume is at 5.

Cab used 2x12 1966 Fender Bandmaster cab with original Jensons.

Guitar: Jay Turser Les Paul Copy with Seymore Duncan Alnico 2 Pro pickups.

Boss GE-7 Eq set like a very slight upside down smiley face or "frown" if you prefer. Nothing cut only boosted very slightly and main volume level is even with original signal.

Sorry quality of the recording is not better, I used Windows Movie Maker which tends to thin things out.
Amplifiers: Marshall 2555x 100watt Silver Jubilee Full Stack with matching 2551AV & 2551BV 8x12 70 watt Vintage 30 speakers.
Marshall 2466 100watt Vintage Modern w/ Matching 425A cab
1966 Fender Bandmaster
Effects: MXR:M234 Analog Chorus, Phase90, Slash Octave Fuzz, Slash SC95 Wah. BOSS: RV-3 & DD3 Reverb & Delay, GE-7 EQ,NS-2 Noise Suppressor, CS-3 Compression Sustainer
Guitars: 6 Les Pauls with Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 Pro Pickups.

tellus1
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: My VM's Slash tone.

Postby tellus1 » 19 Mar 2009, 12:23

Great sound man! :Thumbs
The tone that the VM produces is just incredible. I get the same Gn'R tone but mine has a little bit more grit.
Could be the speakers. I use the 425A with the G12c speakers.
I'm wondering what string thickness you are using? Today I changed ine from .10's to.11's.
I must say that my first impressions are that the .10 sounded better. More clarity and ability to get a more gritty sound.
Besides that, I find that the .11's does not bring out the same woody soud as .10's.

Anyway, nice tone!
Marshall VM 2266 BLACK
Marshall 425A BLACK
Vox AD50VT
2007 Gibson Les Paul Standard w Alnico II pro pickups
2007 Ltd EC1000 w EMG pickups
2006 Ibanez V70 Acoustic

Slashwannabe1
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 182 times
Been liked: 98 times

Re: My VM's Slash tone.

Postby Slashwannabe1 » 19 Mar 2009, 17:49

tellus1 wrote:Great sound man! :Thumbs
The tone that the VM produces is just incredible. I get the same Gn'R tone but mine has a little bit more grit.
Could be the speakers. I use the 425A with the G12c speakers.
I'm wondering what string thickness you are using? Today I changed ine from .10's to.11's.
I must say that my first impressions are that the .10 sounded better. More clarity and ability to get a more gritty sound.
Besides that, I find that the .11's does not bring out the same woody soud as .10's.

Anyway, nice tone!
If you want the Slash sound 11-48 is the ticket ;) Slash uses this gauge, I used them before I knew Slash did, I had problems with string breakage and didn't like the thin tone of the 10s.

I'm using 11-48 cuz when I push on them they push back lol plus they don't break as much. In my expirence the 11-48 are fatter sounding than the 10-46's. I personally find the 10-46s thin and almost fake sounding on an electric. Though the 10-46's don't chew up your fingers after 5 hours of playing like the 11-48's but I've never been concerned with that as playability and tone are my first concerns. I find its hard to go from 11-48s- 11-46's cuz I usually end up overshooting the mark due to it being too easy to bend a string.

Here's the tone template I used for this recording... inspired by not a note for note representation.

The small amount of girth in my sound is largly due to Windows Movie Maker and the natural reverb off the plastered walls in my living room, but the core sound is there at least :) When I'm right next to the amp it has much more girth than the recording shows. Not to mention the computer mic I used to record was a SoundMax Superbeam HD but its velcro'ed to my computer monitor about 6 feet away from my amp speakers with my computer tower on my desk blocking one side so it kind of recorded the room sound instead of just the amp itself. Mic placement I'm sure played a part in it.

On the recording It actually nearly replicated the sound of Slash's live tone from Velvet Revolvers 2005 live concert at the Xcell Energy Center in St Paul, Minnesota. Which when I was there watching Slash in concert for the first time his tone was very bright sounding and not as much girth as you'd expect at a rock show but just all out bite and power from the amps. I'll send you a clip of that concert if you'd like.

I compensated for a fatter tone similar to the early part of the Use Your Illusions tour tone now with switching the eq on the vm a bit to,

Presence 7, Bass 7 Middle 7 Treble 4.5, and body is at 6.5 instead of 5. It doesn't lose its character and still has its core tone but helps fatten the sound on recordings now. Body placement becomes more crucial at higher volumes. I basically refuse to use the mid boost if I don't have to.

The VM at 1:20 on my recording has the same bite as Slash's live tone from his 1992 concert in Tokyo which I absolutly love! :love

Look here on at 1:08 and then compare the sound to my recording, , that way you can hear the same riff with same guitar tuning. Slash uses mostly standard tuning live ;) . Then go back to my video and compare the amps tone from 1:20 up.

Post some stuff of your rig I'd love to hear it :jam

If you have fast internet press the HD button on Youtube that helps A LOT! they just added this feature and Youtube sounds very nice now :yea
Amplifiers: Marshall 2555x 100watt Silver Jubilee Full Stack with matching 2551AV & 2551BV 8x12 70 watt Vintage 30 speakers.
Marshall 2466 100watt Vintage Modern w/ Matching 425A cab
1966 Fender Bandmaster
Effects: MXR:M234 Analog Chorus, Phase90, Slash Octave Fuzz, Slash SC95 Wah. BOSS: RV-3 & DD3 Reverb & Delay, GE-7 EQ,NS-2 Noise Suppressor, CS-3 Compression Sustainer
Guitars: 6 Les Pauls with Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 Pro Pickups.

Return to “Roadhouse Sound Check”