Moderator: longfxukxnhair

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

This is why I own the VM 2466

Postby surfnorthwest » 26 May 2009, 18:55

With all the great amp on the market I could buy the VM is simply one amp that will always have a place in my studio. Why, take a listen to the lastest track I recorded using the VM and tell me another amp that can do that tone....

Both my Plexis are awesome amps but when I want my Trower tone which I spent years getting or to record in the Pink Floyd genre I have to default the the Vinatge Modern. :vmrules
Dog Days.mp3
(9.09 MiB) Downloaded 1359 times
Lead Guitar - Gibson ES-359
Amp - 2466
Drums - DOD Yamaha
Bass - Carvin IC5
B3 Organ Synth & Sax - Roland GR20
Rythem guitars - Digitech GSP 1101
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Reverentshadow
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: This is why I own the VM 2466

Postby Reverentshadow » 26 May 2009, 19:31

Very nice surf,was a long day today I came home and downloaded that clip and found myself relaxed after hearing that. Very nice piece of work thanks for that. :Thumbs
It feels good out today dont it? I think i'll leave it out.

Reverentshadow
<25
<25

Postby Reverentshadow » 26 May 2009, 19:39

oh btw did you get your m50 yet? just curious what you think of it so far. After hearing your metro plexi I decided im going to order a metro plexi 50w kit and build it to the 71 spec. kind of a tough choice to build one or buy one from curt they are about the same price, and his are built. I may just go ahead and get the kit because I have been jonesing to build one of those since before I got the VM hehe. :bgrin

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 26 May 2009, 20:07

Yes I just got it a few days ago. I am still getting used to what it can do but needless to say I am blown away by the tone this amp can do. I can tell you without hesitation that this amp is closer to EVH early brown sound than the Metro 68 12,000 clones. That clip Curt made on YouTube of this M50 doing the VH clips was no bullshit, that is the amps tone with no effects.

The Master Volume works as it should so unlike my Metro 100 watt this one I can dime the volume and set the master at 4-5 and get great saturation without blowing my ears out, but still the amp is much louder than I expected even for 50 watts. I have no complaint with workmanship it is top shelf and the KT 77 tubes are fantastic. The amp is a keeper and I feel a bit guilty that I paid what I did for it. This amp is based off a 72 50 watt JMP but the transformers are obviously different and some different cap values were used along with a few other mods over what the stock 72 JMP spec's out at, it all works to hit the mark IMO.

I looked into building my own Metro also but the truth is I cannot say that many F bombs if I would try to build it, I just do not have the patence or the talent for it. :doh The amp makes a nice addition to the Vm and Metro and I am amp satisfied with these three.

I will post some pics this weekend when I get some time to get the chasis out.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Reverentshadow
<25
<25

Postby Reverentshadow » 26 May 2009, 20:19

cool deal cant wait to see the pics ,with your discription of that amp it sure is making it harder for me to decide now lol . If it really does sound like his youtube demo of that amp I may just end up buying one of those hmmm. :dunno

zappatista
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 3 times

Postby zappatista » 29 May 2009, 16:59

Sweet Surf. It reminds me very much of a mid 70's Uli Jon Roth tone. Are you running that through the Vintage 30's?

On a side note, The DSL's OT bit the big one the other day! I just ordered a Mercury for it, so it'll probably be an even better amp for it.

What made you decide to go with the KT77's in your new amp? I'd definitely like to hear some clips.
Vintage Modern 2466 (Purple!)
Marshall 425A cab (Purple!)
Marshall Haze MHZ112 Cab
Marshall JMD50 Head
1990 Les Paul Studio, Dimarzio Air Classic, Dimarzio Super Distortion PUPS
A Handful of Stomp Gadgets/Boosty devices

DeanM
Irish Rocker
Irish Rocker
Has Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times

Postby DeanM » 29 May 2009, 17:38

zappatista wrote: On a side note, The DSL's OT bit the big one the other day! I just ordered a Mercury for it, so it'll probably be an even better amp for it.
Did i read before that you had the ohms mismatched?? :think

Was there any fireworks?? :dance
Everybody seems to think i'm lazy.
I dont mind...I think they're crazy!

zappatista
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby zappatista » 29 May 2009, 17:54

No, that must have been some one else. I'm pretty anal about checking and double checking my impedance before I turn on that standby. No fireworks, just very erratic volume drops. The sound of an OT shorting out at loud volumes!
Marshall Haze MHZ112 Cab
Marshall JMD50 Head

DeanM
Irish Rocker
Irish Rocker
Has Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times

Postby DeanM » 29 May 2009, 18:02

yeah must have been someone else im thinkin of!

aw no fireworks? :nope
:laugh

thats interestin tho!! i didn know what happened when they failed!
Everybody seems to think i'm lazy.
I dont mind...I think they're crazy!

zappatista
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby zappatista » 29 May 2009, 18:04

DeanM wrote:yeah must have been someone else im thinkin of!

aw no fireworks? :nope
:laugh

thats interestin tho!! i didn know what happened when they failed!

Sorry, no exploding DSL's to report here!
Marshall Haze MHZ112 Cab
Marshall JMD50 Head

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 29 May 2009, 18:13

On a side note, The DSL's OT bit the big one the other day! I just ordered a Mercury for it
That sucks, how do you think that happened? Honestly I ran the amp pretty loud at times but never had a issue with it. Oh well I am a fan of getting the best iron you can and I know that the MM trannys is a upgrade in that amp.

Thanks for the comments on my song, I was using my Lead 80s cabinet.

I went with the KT77 in the Granger because after talking with Curt he really thought the amp just had a sweeter breakup at high gain than with the EL34s. I won't ramble much about the amp other than to say as I already did that it is the closest thing I have played that has the natural early brown sound.

Speaking of transformers this new Granger has some transformers from this Chicago based manufacture that makes vintage transformers and speaking with Curt he thinks they are as good in every way to a Mercury and some even better, the kicker is they are about half the price. Take a look

http://store.triodestore.com/transformers.html
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

zappatista
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby zappatista » 30 May 2009, 12:17

Wow, a PT, OT and Choke bundle for $185.00! That's dirt cheap. I bought my Merc from Ted Weber for $175.00, and I thought I made out like a bandit with that price. I was considering a Heyboer, which is quite a bit cheaper also.

I have no idea why the tranny went. Starting with that first rehearsal, I ran into that issue of it running super hot, and then it ran well for 2 rehearsals, and then the tranny started to go. I didn't know it was the tranny at the time, and so I did a few little checks on it at home, where it seemed allright.
At my next reheasal the Tranny shorted for good.

Who knows, even though you did an amazing job of packing the amp, maybe something happened in shipping. That's really the only thing I can think of that would've caused such an abrupt string of things going wrong. It wouldn't be the first time that that's happened to me when having an amp shipped.
WHen I take it into the tech to have the OT installed, I'll have him check out the amp to see if there's anything else going on with it that would have caused the OT to go. I'll let you know what happens!

Actually this DSL sounds so good anyway, I'm pretty psyched to see how it'll sound with the MErc, which I was going to put in later anyway. THis is just speeding up the process by a year!

HEy, here's a plug for my amp tech!
Kevin Hilbiber-Great Guy!

http://www.condor-electronics.com/aboutus.htm
Marshall Haze MHZ112 Cab
Marshall JMD50 Head

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 30 May 2009, 15:20

Yes let me know how it goes, if it is determinded that the shipping somehow did something to the amp to mess the transformer let me know and I will make it right with you. Like I said I never had any issues with it. I have heard many a DSL with the MM upgrade and it seems to really open the amp up a bit more.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

MKB
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 96 times

Postby MKB » 14 Jun 2009, 04:12

surfnorthwest wrote:
Speaking of transformers this new Granger has some transformers from this Chicago based manufacture that makes vintage transformers and speaking with Curt he thinks they are as good in every way to a Mercury and some even better, the kicker is they are about half the price. Take a look

http://store.triodestore.com/transformers.html
That is Triode Electronics, run by a guy known in the hi-fi community as Uncle Ned. He has a terrific reputation, and I have done business with him since the early nineties, also he's been around a long time. I trust his stuff without reservation.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 14 Jun 2009, 12:45

That is Triode Electronics, run by a guy known in the hi-fi community as Uncle Ned. He has a terrific reputation, and I have done business with him since the early nineties, also he's been around a long time. I trust his stuff without reservation.
His trannies and specs for them are every bit as good as a Mercury for a more resonible price, I always thought Mercury trannies were way over priced.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

Return to “Roadhouse Sound Check”