Moderator: longfxukxnhair

noise5150
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 17 times
Been liked: 56 times

Re: NAD : Code 25

Postby noise5150 » 22 Mar 2016, 10:42

djw171 wrote:I don't think it's the type of amp that needs a loop. It has Pre FX (Compressor, Distortion, Auto Wah & Pitch Shifter) which are all based before the Pre-Amp. It also has Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Tremolo, Delay and Reverb which are all in 'the loop'. This personally is not the sort of amp that I'm going to use with any external effects anyway. It does have a Noise Gate as well.

Good points. Since it has a noise gate and the built in effects, I could plug my GT100s in front of the amp for a change and use the wah that way. I could also still use a gate from the GT100 in front of the CODE as well.

big dooley
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 22 times

Postby big dooley » 23 Mar 2016, 00:27

surfnorthwest wrote:I know a lot of guys will have the itch to swap out the speaker. IMO there is nothing wrong with these stock speakers. They were chosen to have a very neutral response to to be flexible for many tones.

if i would swap the speaker, my pick would be full range... maybe even a coaxial speaker...
i'm not sure if the cabinet simulation rolls off the excessive high end though,
i run beyma 12AG100's in my stack, using a speaker emulator in the loop of my JVM/AFD stereo rig.
with a frequency range of 50 to 18000Hz, you definatly need the roll off :)
this kind of setup is perfect for me, when doing acoustics and synths. and playing music through the aux input would have a better sound quality too

TubeStack
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 156 times
Been liked: 66 times

Postby TubeStack » 24 Mar 2016, 12:31

djw171 wrote:
TubeStack wrote:Very cool, djw171!

What store in Ontario had it, if you don't mind me asking?

PA Music in Brantford

Cool, I used to get strings there all the time, when I lived in Paris.

Wonder how they had one before anyone else?

skinnyj
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 414 times
Been liked: 632 times

Postby skinnyj » 24 Mar 2016, 14:48

TubeStack wrote:
djw171 wrote:

PA Music in Brantford

Yeah... Sweetwater says they aren't shipping until July... :think
'84 Marshall JCM800 4104
Blackstar HT-20
Marshall Class 5
ADA MP-1 (Version 1)
Line6 AX-212 (and I'm NOT ashamed)
1987 Les Paul Standard
2009 American Standard Strat
2015 PRS SE Torero
Takamine EG531SC Acoustic

My Band: Fistful of Karma

djw171
CODE #1 Owner
Has Liked: 20 times
Been liked: 67 times

Postby djw171 » 24 Mar 2016, 19:06

TubeStack wrote:
djw171 wrote:

PA Music in Brantford

I live in Paris!

Sailindawg
<25
<25
Has Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 1 time

Postby Sailindawg » 25 Mar 2016, 04:56

@djw

In the first picture you post of the Code 25, you have some extra cabs. One of the big questions is how will the Code sound going into an external cab with the cab Sims turned off. Could you try it with one of your cabs? Run the code into a cab with the cab sim turned on and off? Report back results?

Many thanks!

bigboki
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Has Liked: 325 times
Been liked: 100 times

Postby bigboki » 25 Mar 2016, 08:20

Sailindawg wrote:@djw

In the first picture you post of the Code 25, you have some extra cabs. One of the big questions is how will the Code sound going into an external cab with the cab Sims turned off. Could you try it with one of your cabs? Run the code into a cab with the cab sim turned on and off? Report back results?

Many thanks!

Can Code (except of 100w version) go to external cab at all? (without mode?)
I thought there is no connection to the external cabs except of 100 head?

please let me know

yours Bojan

djw171
CODE #1 Owner

Postby djw171 » 25 Mar 2016, 09:03

There is no extension speaker output on the Code. Only the head has the 4 ohm output I believe for the designed cabinet.
As I posted, the speaker in the 25 is 4 ohm anyway, so it not like I could run the speakers leads to another speaker. It's obviously a specific speaker Marshall have chosen to give the best representation for cabinet simulation.

Sailindawg
<25
<25
Has Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 1 time

Postby Sailindawg » 25 Mar 2016, 09:24

Damn, I missed one of the other photos that showed the speaker directly wired to the pcb. I was thinking that the code had a separate 1/4" connector for the speaker like the other combos. I was kind of hoping that the Code combos would be similar in build to the stand alone Code head, but all they probably have in common is the software.

Given that the Code is solid state, my understanding is that the minimum resistance for a speaker/cab is 4 ohms. In the case of the head, you will only get the full 100 watts with a 4 ohm cab. My understanding is that a 8 or 16 ohm cab can be connected and used. The only drawback is that the higher resistance cab will simply reduce the amps total output wattage. So by connecting a 8 ohm cab, you reduce the amp to about 50 watts output. Because it's solid state, there is no danger of flash back voltage to the output transformer like in a valve amp. That is my understanding, please correct me if I'm misinformed.

Anitoli
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 1883 times
Been liked: 1719 times

Postby Anitoli » 25 Mar 2016, 12:39

Sailindawg wrote:Damn, I missed one of the other photos that showed the speaker directly wired to the pcb. I was thinking that the code had a separate 1/4" connector for the speaker like the other combos. I was kind of hoping that the Code combos would be similar in build to the stand alone Code head, but all they probably have in common is the software.

Given that the Code is sold state, my understanding is that the minimum resistance for a speaker/cab is 4 ohms. In the case of the head, you will only get the full 100 watts with a 4 ohm cab. My understanding is that a 8 or 16 ohm cab can be connected and used. The only drawback is that the higher resistance cab will simply reduce the amps total output wattage. So by connecting a 8 ohm cab, you reduce the amp to about 50 watts output. Because it's solid state, there is no danger of flash back voltage to the output transformer like in a valve amp. That is my understanding, please correct me if I'm misinformed.

Your description of SS power amps is correct ( 99% of the time). They are direct coupled ( no OT ) so the wattage is directly related to the outputs load. This is why going too low below the amps minimum ohm rating can be disastrous for the amp.

djw171
CODE #1 Owner

Postby djw171 » 28 Mar 2016, 12:28

Sailindawg wrote:Damn, I missed one of the other photos that showed the speaker directly wired to the pcb. I was thinking that the code had a separate 1/4" connector for the speaker like the other combos. I was kind of hoping that the Code combos would be similar in build to the stand alone Code head, but all they probably have in common is the software.

Given that the Code is solid state, my understanding is that the minimum resistance for a speaker/cab is 4 ohms. In the case of the head, you will only get the full 100 watts with a 4 ohm cab. My understanding is that a 8 or 16 ohm cab can be connected and used. The only drawback is that the higher resistance cab will simply reduce the amps total output wattage. So by connecting a 8 ohm cab, you reduce the amp to about 50 watts output. Because it's solid state, there is no danger of flash back voltage to the output transformer like in a valve amp. That is my understanding, please correct me if I'm misinformed.

Thanks for the explination re SS amps. If this is the case and a different ohm speaker CAN be used without amp harm, it would not be difficult to mod the amp to have a 1/4" socket on the back and bypass the internal speaker.

Tone
<25
<25

Postby Tone » 02 Apr 2016, 21:49

Well there's one Code 50 in the States at least, even if was a pre-release one. Still brand new in box tho.

http://austin.craigslist.org/msg/5520403693.html

engelheimer
<25
<25

Postby engelheimer » 06 Jun 2017, 18:28

New to this thing, so Howdy!

Ordered a 25, early this year. Got it 4-5 mo later. Is a great backup tool on any gig.
Except anybody can come in and shut you down, or come in to help tweak you out for a the room.

Thought to try an unconventional 10" loudspeaker:
http://www.svconline.com/news/news/jbls ... ogy/365983

@ 2Ω the output circuit would mute out, (there is a TO220 (Mosfet) device on the board), but current limits mute output instead of temp.
Had two JBL 261F's, one would trip the mute on. so used a small external box in series, it had a switch to flip phase.

That's when I found an improvement in overall tone and attack, even more so when one or both were in open back configuration, and out of phase.

Am wondering if anyone found a good 4Ω replacement for the stock ceramic.

Return to “Marshall CODE”