Moderator: longfxukxnhair

jallstars
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

how to control the vintage modern

Postby jallstars » 21 Aug 2008, 09:33

hey, as I have been experimenting with this amp, I've realized I really only need one pickup. My bridge pickup can give me all the tones from my neck pickup and more by fiddling with the tone and volume knobs. The only time I even do pickup selecting is when I need to two different tones instantly. For example sweet child o' mine. I'd get my neck as my woman tone/lead tone and my bridge as the clean rythym tone. Or as most times bridge=distortion neck=clean. Am I using it wrong and can get a lot more versatile tones from using both pickups or do other people use it like I do. btw my guitar is a les paul.

Angus
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times

Postby Angus » 21 Aug 2008, 10:45

I don't think there's any right or wrong, but generally, I'd prefer to be using the 2 pick-ups rather than changing settings to mimic the other pick-up.

Having said that though, I think I know what you mean, on my 2266 combo I was experimenting around with tones, and lost track of what I was doing, and was surpised to find I was still on the treble pick-up, and when I switched over to the rhythm pick-up it sounded more like the treble relative to where I'd adjusted the real treble pick-up.

I've never managed that on my AC30, maybe its the 2266 or maybe I'm just getting bolder in my experimentation.

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby slowpokerhino » 21 Aug 2008, 16:17

I like the middle position (both pickups) on my LP best. I use the two volume controls to set the mix and generally don't have to touch the tone controls.

Angus
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times

Postby Angus » 22 Aug 2008, 03:32

slowpokerhino wrote:I like the middle position (both pickups) on my LP best. I use the two volume controls to set the mix and generally don't have to touch the tone controls.
No rights or wrongs here obviously, but on a standard configuration, wouldn't turning either of your volume controls to zero stop the sound completely?

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby slowpokerhino » 22 Aug 2008, 13:56

Yes it does. I usually have the neck on full and the bridge about 3/4 and I may cut a little from the neck if it's too bassy, depends a lot on the room.

Return to “Marshall Vintage Modern”