Moderator: longfxukxnhair

2bpage
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

FUNNEL OF DEATH

Postby 2bpage » 05 Sep 2009, 18:38

I am looking for some information/suggestions. I play my 2266 with 425A in my basement (which is finished) I currently have the rig set up in a corner facing out. I have found that the sound is directed out from the cab like a funnel, but even when standing back 15 feet the sound is really concentrated and does not seem to disperse through the room. I was blasting away today and found that I could stand to the side of the “Funnel of Death” (FOD - term given by another mid-life shitty guitarist like myself, when I dimed everything – just to see what would happen!) and the tone is totally different than when I stand in the “FOD”. I also have the casters on the cab. Any suggestion about a proper way to place the rig, etc?

Check out the pictures
Attachments
VM PICTURES 007.jpg
VM PICTURES 006.jpg

Slashwannabe1
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 182 times
Been liked: 98 times

Re: FUNNEL OF DEATH

Postby Slashwannabe1 » 05 Sep 2009, 22:15

Thats a kick ass rig man! I wish I had the matching cab.
Amplifiers: Marshall 2555x 100watt Silver Jubilee Full Stack with matching 2551AV & 2551BV 8x12 70 watt Vintage 30 speakers.
Marshall 2466 100watt Vintage Modern w/ Matching 425A cab
1966 Fender Bandmaster
Effects: MXR:M234 Analog Chorus, Phase90, Slash Octave Fuzz, Slash SC95 Wah. BOSS: RV-3 & DD3 Reverb & Delay, GE-7 EQ,NS-2 Noise Suppressor, CS-3 Compression Sustainer
Guitars: 6 Les Pauls with Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 Pro Pickups.

TonyC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 27 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby TonyC » 06 Sep 2009, 04:19

2bpage wrote:I am looking for some information/suggestions. I play my 2266 with 425A in my basement (which is finished) I currently have the rig set up in a corner facing out. I have found that the sound is directed out from the cab like a funnel, but even when standing back 15 feet the sound is really concentrated and does not seem to disperse through the room. I was blasting away today and found that I could stand to the side of the “Funnel of Death” (FOD - term given by another mid-life shitty guitarist like myself, when I dimed everything – just to see what would happen!) and the tone is totally different than when I stand in the “FOD”. I also have the casters on the cab. Any suggestion about a proper way to place the rig, etc?
What you are describing is a perfectly normal behavior of guitar speakers/cabs. The highs are very focused right in front of it.

Another thing, placing the cab in a corner will greatly increase the bass response. Not necessarily bad, but could be a good thing to know.

toxx
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 1 time

Postby toxx » 06 Sep 2009, 04:35

What I'm asking myself is wether these "plexi glass walls" that Joe Bonamassa has in front of his speakers will help to spread the sound in the room and take away that "FOD" effect ( :bgrin ). Because thats what I really hate about closed back cabs and is makin me think about buying a open back vox cab or something like that.

C0ldFart
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby C0ldFart » 06 Sep 2009, 08:01

weber has a product called beam blocker, it works like a charm.

Used it on 4 speakers on one part of a full stack with success, but when playing live we want sound straight out
-=Ketil=-

2bpage
<25
<25

Postby 2bpage » 06 Sep 2009, 14:34

Excellent to all - thanks for your feeback. The forum is a great source of information. I am experimenting with placement of the rig. Not related to FOD, I also want to try an Boss EQ pedal and some type of analog delay. I found playing on another set-up that some light delay really enriched the overdrieven tone. I don't know much about the EG but have read of it here and would like to try it. We have a local shop that will let you test drive demo pedals (at home) that can be returned the next day. :vmrules

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Postby SteveD » 07 Sep 2009, 01:14

The plexiglass screens as used by Joe are also a big help in preventing the vocal mics from picking up the back line. :winking
Still my guitar gently weeps

Return to “Marshall Vintage Modern”