maxrossell
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Volume Boost options?

Postby maxrossell » 22 Nov 2009, 07:14

Hey guys, new poster here.

I've had my VM2266 for a while now, and pretty much the only issue I have with it is that it doesn't have any kind of straight volume boost. I have it set to use LDR for cleans (although it's not really a clean, just less dirty) and HDR for the big rhythm/riff sound, but I'm trying to figure out what would be the best solution to get a good volume spike for soloing. I'm running the gains far too hot to consider boosting the front end, so I'm assuming that my only option is to use the FX loop, so what do you think:

- Use a clean boost pedal in the FX loop (I have a Toadworks Meat Jr. that I like, but I have yet to try it with the 2266)

- Have a volume cut like the EHX signal pad on in the FX loop most of the time and then switch it off when I want to solo (I've heard this thins out the tone, not so keen, plus it'll suck batteries)

- Use an EQ pedal in the FX loop, turn up the midrange and crank the output a bit on that

- 4th solution I haven't thought of

Any advice greatly appreciated.

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Re: Volume Boost options?

Postby slowpokerhino » 22 Nov 2009, 08:38

Welcome to the forum max. :howdy

Unfortunately using the fx loop wont work either. You will get a gain boost but not a volume boost.
Using a pedal to cut (signal path, HB detox EQ) will work but, like you said, the rhythm sound will suffer a bit.
The best way is to use the volume control on your guitar. Set the HDR for your rhythm sound with your guitars volume at about half. When you want to boost for solos just turn it to 10.

Ghostrider
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Been liked: 1 time

Postby Ghostrider » 22 Nov 2009, 08:41

I think you have to get in the habit of using your guitars volume to set your gain up. I just stay in high range and turn it down for cleaner tones and dial it up for rythem or leads. I would suggest using a eq and kick that in for lead guitar, it works very well for me because I can not only adjust the frequencies but I can give it some boost also to cut through. I just use a Boss GE-7.
Twin 2466 amps

maxrossell
<25
<25

Postby maxrossell » 22 Nov 2009, 09:40

slowpokerhino wrote:Welcome to the forum max. :howdy

Unfortunately using the fx loop wont work either. You will get a gain boost but not a volume boost.
Using a pedal to cut (signal path, HB detox EQ) will work but, like you said, the rhythm sound will suffer a bit.
The best way is to use the volume control on your guitar. Set the HDR for your rhythm sound with your guitars volume at about half. When you want to boost for solos just turn it to 10.
Here are the problems - firstly if I roll off my guitar's volume I'll get a reduction in gain, not a reduction in volume, I'd have to drop it to below halfway before the volume drops. So that's no help because I won't get anything like the tone I want having rolled off my guitar volume that much, and crucially even then I won't get anywhere near the volume boost I'm looking for.

Secondly, why won't a boost work in the effects loop? I was under the impression that the gain stages were in the pre-amp - isn't the effects loop between the pre and the power amp? Does the VM really output that much overdrive from the power stage?

maxrossell
<25
<25

Postby maxrossell » 22 Nov 2009, 09:45

Ghostrider wrote:I think you have to get in the habit of using your guitars volume to set your gain up. I just stay in high range and turn it down for cleaner tones and dial it up for rythem or leads. I would suggest using a eq and kick that in for lead guitar, it works very well for me because I can not only adjust the frequencies but I can give it some boost also to cut through. I just use a Boss GE-7.
I do use the guitar volume to set gain up - but as I've said, I play hot, so anything I do with the guitar volume only really affects gain, and there's no way I could use it to get the volume increase I need without ruining the rest of my sound.

Where do you use your EQ, do you put it in the effects loop? If you boost it do you get an increase in db volume?

Basically what I need is a way to footswitch the amp into a few dbs of boost. That's what I need. Other ways of getting a volume boost won't work. What can I do?

ironlung40
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby ironlung40 » 22 Nov 2009, 10:12

slowpokerhino wrote:Welcome to the forum max. :howdy

I thought boosting through the loop with a volume boost would give you a volume increase w/out added gain? :dunno

Ex-Mesa
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Ex-Mesa » 22 Nov 2009, 17:05

If there's no alternative, how about a volume knob on the speaker line? Like the PowerBrake? Or the old Scholz PowerSoak. That thing may possibly be convertable to footswitcheable.
With great distortion comes great responsibility.
VM2466, 425b, Fender Showmaster Strat, Ultra Fuzz, RC Boost, VibraTrem, VP Jr, Hardwire Delay, 535Q, Pigtronix Envelope Phaser
Other Stuff: Mesa Lonestar, Peavey JSX, VHT Sig:X, 1936V30, 70 LP Deluxe, 72 LP 3 pup Artisan, Am Dlx Strat, Voodoo Strat, EVH Wolfgang, Schecter Loomis 7 string, Ibanez JP-20, First Act Delia 540, Godin SD 24, OCD, Rat, Analogman OD9, Adrenalinn, Tone Press, Guvnor, 70's fuzz

poxo
<25
<25

Postby poxo » 23 Nov 2009, 00:23

I have the some problem, and I think that the solution is to use a clean boster in the fx loop ( rc booster, micro amp ) or a eq pedal. :Thumbs

C0ldFart
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby C0ldFart » 23 Nov 2009, 01:12

This is was I've tried.

1. The Weber Mass 100 attenuator with foot switch, that works.
2. Overdrive pedal in the loop. Pedal is off during solo.
3. Volumepedal in loop, works but a bit difficult to set back and forth, So I modded the pedal with a set-screw for minimum volume settings about 75%
-=Ketil=-

poxo
<25
<25

Postby poxo » 23 Nov 2009, 01:32

I don´t lke anything the overdrives in the fx loop :scared .I think is better a clean booster in the loop.

You can try with a treble boster in the input.

C0ldFart
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby C0ldFart » 23 Nov 2009, 01:42

poxo wrote:I don´t lke anything the overdrives in the fx loop :scared .I think is better a clean booster in the loop.

you cannot use any boost function in the loop, that don't work, you have to attenuate the signal for rhythm

so the od in the loop serves to function
1. Attenuate and slap som mud on the crunch during rhytm
2. Disable and get the full VM tones with higher volume
-=Ketil=-

maxrossell
<25
<25

Postby maxrossell » 23 Nov 2009, 16:13

C0ldFart wrote:
poxo wrote:I don´t lke anything the overdrives in the fx loop :scared .I think is better a clean booster in the loop.

you cannot use any boost function in the loop, that don't work, you have to attenuate the signal for rhythm

But WHY? That's the question I don't seem to be able to find an answer to. What happens that;s so terrible when you put a clean boost in the effects loop? Why is it that literally every other amp I've ever played that has an effects loop will enable me to get a volume boost with a boost pedal in the effects loop, but the VM apparently won't? Why have they designed it so that if I want a boost function I have to ruin the tone I use when I'm not soloing?

Slashwannabe1
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 182 times
Been liked: 98 times

Postby Slashwannabe1 » 23 Nov 2009, 16:38

maxrossell wrote:
C0ldFart wrote:

But WHY? That's the question I don't seem to be able to find an answer to. What happens that;s so terrible when you put a clean boost in the effects loop? Why is it that literally every other amp I've ever played that has an effects loop will enable me to get a volume boost with a boost pedal in the effects loop, but the VM apparently won't? Why have they designed it so that if I want a boost function I have to ruin the tone I use when I'm not soloing?
Because its designed to be more reactive to turning your gain up or down by guitar volume, so a volume boost between your guitar and amplifier will boost the gain quite a bit and make it more distorted.
Amplifiers: Marshall 2555x 100watt Silver Jubilee Full Stack with matching 2551AV & 2551BV 8x12 70 watt Vintage 30 speakers.
Marshall 2466 100watt Vintage Modern w/ Matching 425A cab
1966 Fender Bandmaster
Effects: MXR:M234 Analog Chorus, Phase90, Slash Octave Fuzz, Slash SC95 Wah. BOSS: RV-3 & DD3 Reverb & Delay, GE-7 EQ,NS-2 Noise Suppressor, CS-3 Compression Sustainer
Guitars: 6 Les Pauls with Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 Pro Pickups.

DeanM
Irish Rocker
Irish Rocker
Has Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times

Postby DeanM » 23 Nov 2009, 17:32

maxrossell wrote:Hey guys, new poster here.

I've had my VM2266 for a while now, and pretty much the only issue I have with it is that it doesn't have any kind of straight volume boost. I have it set to use LDR for cleans (although it's not really a clean, just less dirty) and HDR for the big rhythm/riff sound, but I'm trying to figure out what would be the best solution to get a good volume spike for soloing. I'm running the gains far too hot to consider boosting the front end, so I'm assuming that my only option is to use the FX loop, so what do you think:
well VM's have less headroom than other amps to begin with. your using the 2266, which isnt the recommended of the two for clean headroom! so, you can see that its not gonna have the available volume boost (clean headroom) as other amps you may have played! but anyway the following may be the answers you're looking for (the WHY!)

if your running the gains far too hot that means the phase inverter will most likely be clipping aswel and could possibly be significantly shaping the distortion depending on the MV level, some say that at lower MV most the gain comes from the phase inverter, which makes sense to me. the effects loop sends after the tonestack and returns before the phase inverter. so if your running the gain pretty hot, and the phaseinverter V4 is clipping quite a bit then a clean boost in the loop will make the phase inverter clip further and increase gain rather than volume.

:Thumbs
DeanM
Everybody seems to think i'm lazy.
I dont mind...I think they're crazy!

poxo
<25
<25

Postby poxo » 24 Nov 2009, 04:20

Shit !!

there's no way of turning up the volume if you play with the amp too overdrive ???

Return to “Marshall Vintage Modern”