Moderator: longfxukxnhair

LukeWinship
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 3 times

Placement of my Phase 90

Postby LukeWinship » 26 Nov 2009, 16:44

I've had a Vintage Custom Shop Phase Pedal from MXR for a while now but when i use it in the effects loop of my VM2266c it sounds muddy. should i pace this at the end of my effect that go into the input of the amp? will it sound clearer like it use to in my old amp (dsl 50)???
EVH5150iii 50 watt with Matching 2x12 in Ivory. 2004 Les Paul Standard in Trans-amber with Bare Knuckle Nailbombs (Alnico). Caparison C2 Dellinger with EMGs. One Control OC10 with an ever changing cast of pedals from MXR, Dunlop, Eventide, Fulltone, TC etc.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: Placement of my Phase 90

Postby surfnorthwest » 26 Nov 2009, 20:46

Modulation type pedals should be the last in your chain, but with any chain it is always best to experiment. The Vintage Modern is known for taking all types of pedals well in front of the amp. I have about 12 pedals in my chain all in front and nothing in the loop. Also remember there is a button in back of the amp to switch from +4dBu to-10dBV, for stomp pedals try the -10 setting as the +4 usally is for rack gear.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

DIDIER
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 0

Postby DIDIER » 26 Nov 2009, 23:43

I always place my vintage MXR phase 90 in front of the amp, in front of the distortion and overdrive pedals.
My 2 cents ...

Kongels
Been liked: 9 times

Postby Kongels » 27 Nov 2009, 03:49

I have never used one but I would try it first as well, guys I know do.

ClubAndCountry
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Been liked: 7 times

Postby ClubAndCountry » 27 Nov 2009, 06:43

The Phase 90 has very low headroom and will often overdrive in an effects loop (even set to -10dB) which makes it sound muddy and squashed on an overdriven sound - you'll know if this is happening if turning the pedal *off* makes the amp louder and clearer - or audibly dirty on a clean sound. It will even overdrive with some higher output humbuckers if it's in front of the amp. I would definitely try it in both positions and see which sounds best - the loop in the Vintage Modern isn't really post-distortion anyway.

Modulation doesn't have to always go at the end of the chain, and in fact since phasing isn't time-based (unlike flanging and chorus) it does usually work well before distortion. Many people prefer the sound of it there even if there isn't any problem with signal levels.

DIDIER
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby DIDIER » 27 Nov 2009, 09:58

[quote="ClubAndCountry"] I would definitely try it in both positions and see which sounds best - the loop in the Vintage Modern isn't really post-distortion anyway.

I believe the loop in the VM is post-distortion (after the preamp gain and tone stack), just before the phase inverter 12AX7.

ClubAndCountry
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Been liked: 7 times

Postby ClubAndCountry » 27 Nov 2009, 11:05

No, the loop is *not* post-distortion. It's within the distortion circuit since the amp has a post-phase-inverter master volume and the loop is before the phase inverter. Some distortion may come from the tone stack driver, but the limiting distortion is from the phase inverter.

This is an inherent problem with all amps that use a post-PI MV without an earlier MV and have an effects loop, which cannot be placed after the MV since it would need to be a true stereo loop and use only true stereo effects.

Green Manalishi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby Green Manalishi » 27 Nov 2009, 22:25

I've used my phaser in front, before OD, where I put my wah. Didn't like it after OD.
Crossroadsnyc douche of the year, and everyone at TGP tied for 2nd

frank9310
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 6 times
Been liked: 38 times

Postby frank9310 » 28 Nov 2009, 07:01

If any of you are familiar with the Fulltone Deja 2 or DejaVibe, (uni-vibe clone) always recommends to put the modulation first. Otherwise, it sounds all garbled and buzzy which it definitely does. Think about how using a wah pedal and a fuzz after how open it all sounds if you're lucky enough not to hear squealing oscillation. What some do, rather than install a buffer circuit into their wah will run the fuzz first into the wah and that gives a whole other squished up wah-fuzz sound. Sometimes it sounds pretty cool but not so much for other things. For the best organic phase sounds, put it up front before any distortion IMO.
"It may take talent to play fast, but it takes SOUL to say something between the notes....."

"Most people are about as happy as they make their minds up to be..." ~ Abe Lincoln

http://www.facebook.com/frank93101
http://www.facebook.com/areyouexperiencedband

Band page http://areyouexperienced.net/RobinTrowe ... clips.html

Electronic Press Kit (EPK) http://www.gigmasters.com/presskit.aspx?id=62115

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby slowpokerhino » 28 Nov 2009, 14:42

I agree with most here. Phaser first then overdrive.

lowenzz
Gold Member
Gold Member
Been liked: 2 times

Postby lowenzz » 28 Nov 2009, 22:43

I run my RetroSonic Phaser first in my chain (fancy mxr based phase 90). I think it sounds best infront of overdrives. I only put delays in my loop.
"Just got paid today, Got me a pocket full of change",Rev BFG

Marshall VM2266 Head
425B cab G12C's

studio66
<25
<25

Postby studio66 » 29 Nov 2009, 01:50

I have a Diamond Phase in the loop...sounds great.

In front.. Guitar> Pitch Black Tuner> Fulltone Clyde Deluxe> Diamond Compressor> Fulltone MDV> Fulltone OCD> Fulltone FDII Mosfet> Radial Tonebone Plexitube> to Amp
In the Loop.....Fulltone Supatrem> Diamond Phase> Fulltone Choralflange> Diamond Memorylane II> Hardwire RV7> Hardwire DL8

These are all hard bypass and after what seems like 100's of combinations this set up works flawlessly for me....tone unaffected and quiet as can be.

frank9310
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 6 times
Been liked: 38 times

Postby frank9310 » 29 Nov 2009, 06:58

studio66 wrote:I have a Diamond Phase in the loop...sounds great.

In front.. Guitar> Pitch Black Tuner> Fulltone Clyde Deluxe> Diamond Compressor> Fulltone MDV> Fulltone OCD> Fulltone FDII Mosfet> Radial Tonebone Plexitube> to Amp
In the Loop.....Fulltone Supatrem> Diamond Phase> Fulltone Choralflange> Diamond Memorylane II> Hardwire RV7> Hardwire DL8

These are all hard bypass and after what seems like 100's of combinations this set up works flawlessly for me....tone unaffected and quiet as can be.
Try your FDII in front of your OCD. Big difference! Learned from Trower. He has his FDII going into his signature overdrive which is similar to an OCD. I use that setup on my VM and an original Fat Boost going into an OCD on my Plexi style amp in stereo for a different texture. Sounds incredible.

Check this out. Run FDII at 4 volume, tone 8-9, drive 1 Boost off, OCD volume 5 (noon) - drive 4 (10-11am) treble 7, On amp detail 4 body 4, MV 8. Bass 2, middle 4.5, treble 4. (Trower uses that setup for solos - kicks off FD for rhythm leaving RT overdrive/OCD on all the time) works great for all classic rock stuff
"It may take talent to play fast, but it takes SOUL to say something between the notes....."

"Most people are about as happy as they make their minds up to be..." ~ Abe Lincoln

http://www.facebook.com/frank93101
http://www.facebook.com/areyouexperiencedband

Band page http://areyouexperienced.net/RobinTrowe ... clips.html

Electronic Press Kit (EPK) http://www.gigmasters.com/presskit.aspx?id=62115

Return to “Marshall Vintage Modern”