Still my guitar gently weeps

Doug_MVM
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Volume Boost options?

Postby Doug_MVM » 12 Dec 2009, 07:19

Doug_MVM wrote:Keep it simple. I run a Boss EQ pedal, and I stick my Boss Delay right next to the EQ (both in the loop). I leave the EQ flat, and just bump the EQ level control up a touch. For the lead, I simply bang both pedals down at the same time, and I get the boost, with the delay for ambience. You can also use each pedal separately of course for a dry kicker, or the delay without the kicker. The cool thing is, you can use the same pedal board config with all your amps (if they have a loop). I have noticed different effect loops will require a slight tweak on the delay and EQ levels, but it's no big deal, as it's all right in front of you at the gig. (To make the adjustment on the fly) In terms of maybe some added gain during the boost, I consider that a plus, as I like a little more gain during the lead break. I know it's all subjective, but that's my take. Very nice discussion for sure. Thanks for reading.
Okay I just played out last night with the VM for the first time. You guys really know your stuff, because unlike my 800, 6100, and JVM, the VM loop is different for sure. I kept bumping up the EQ level (for each solo as a test) and it did not change the overall volume (only slightly). In fact, driving that last tube harder (after the loop) may have dinked with the tone in a bad way actually.

Can anyone with the Weber attenuator + foot switch please provide opinions on the tone in attenuation mode? I would also like to understand how the foot switch option works. Do they hard wire the cable, or is it a jack so you can get the right length to your board? If anyone has a picture of the foot switch, I would appreciate checking it out.

Thanks, and this whole group is very helpful.

Doug

guitarguru
<25
<25

Postby guitarguru » 12 Dec 2009, 11:16

Well I don't have a problem with soloboost volume, because I run my 2466 pretty clean. In Low Dynamic Range, with the detail and body around noon. Leaves me with much headroom to play with. I use overdrives and a cleanbooster after those OD for soloboost. That's it. Works perfect!!
Too many notes, too loud!!

Motorbreath
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 1 time

Postby Motorbreath » 13 Dec 2009, 15:35

Thanks for the welcome, Steve.

What a great job you did. A Classic Marshall!

HappyBlues
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Postby HappyBlues » 14 Dec 2009, 01:31

See my thread Found a solution to channel switching! Finally! ...

I think it is best way to have multichannel VM without A/D D/A converters killing the tone.
Fokus Strat, alder, maple, 3x SC, natural finish, RM Pickups RS6s
Fokus Strat, alder, maple, 2x SC, 1x HB, transparent red finish
Boss FA-1, Fender PT-100 Tuner, Boss BluesDriver 2 clone - dual channel, Fulldrive 2 Mosfet clone, Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Boy, Electro-Harmonix Worm (the big one)
Custom made amp in hardwood cabinet and Fender Blackface and Marshall Jub type preamps. Jub power amp. Celestion G12 Century Next speaker.

C0ldFart
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby C0ldFart » 19 Dec 2009, 11:23

Doug_MVM wrote: ...Can anyone with the Weber attenuator + foot switch please provide opinions on the tone in attenuation mode? I would also like to understand how the foot switch option works. Do they hard wire the cable, or is it a jack so you can get the right length to your board? If anyone has a picture of the foot switch, I would appreciate checking it out...
1.st off, when using the footswitchable attenuator for solo boost, you cannot have a lot of attenuation. Because the difference in volume will be to big.

In my case with the Weber Mass 100, I use the attenuator at 12 o'clock and I cannot say my tone suffers at all.

I could try to upload a YouTube vid with my settings as a demo.

One excellent thing about the footswitchable attenuator is when combining it with guitarvol. The clean is getting incredible clean and loud, and overdrive/crunch can still be as fat as you want it.

Dare I say, the dynamic range extends...

My OD pedal isn't much in use these days.
-=Ketil=-

macsmith
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby macsmith » 20 Dec 2009, 12:25

Hello

In my 2466 i have installed a second Master Volume.

I dont use the internal reverb. If i need a reverb, i will run a good one through the effects loop.
So i don't need the reverb control and i don't need the footswitch for the reverb.
My amp-tech changed the reverb pot for a second master and made it switchable by the reverb-footswitch.
Very easy for an amp-tech, no holes in the chassis, works perfect.
I payed 100 € for the mod in Germany. Thats the same you have to pay for a pedal, but it works an sounds perfect.
But be carefull! If you do this, the amp is out of warranty.

Best regards
Michael

Doug_MVM
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Doug_MVM » 20 Dec 2009, 15:18

Doug_MVM wrote:
Doug_MVM wrote:Keep it simple. I run a Boss EQ pedal, and I stick my Boss Delay right next to the EQ (both in the loop). I leave the EQ flat, and just bump the EQ level control up a touch. For the lead, I simply bang both pedals down at the same time, and I get the boost, with the delay for ambience. You can also use each pedal separately of course for a dry kicker, or the delay without the kicker. The cool thing is, you can use the same pedal board config with all your amps (if they have a loop). I have noticed different effect loops will require a slight tweak on the delay and EQ levels, but it's no big deal, as it's all right in front of you at the gig. (To make the adjustment on the fly) In terms of maybe some added gain during the boost, I consider that a plus, as I like a little more gain during the lead break. I know it's all subjective, but that's my take. Very nice discussion for sure. Thanks for reading.
Okay I just played out last night with the VM for the first time. You guys really know your stuff, because unlike my 800, 6100, and JVM, the VM loop is different for sure. I kept bumping up the EQ level (for each solo as a test) and it did not change the overall volume (only slightly). In fact, driving that last tube harder (after the loop) may have dinked with the tone in a bad way actually.

Can anyone with the Weber attenuator + foot switch please provide opinions on the tone in attenuation mode? I would also like to understand how the foot switch option works. Do they hard wire the cable, or is it a jack so you can get the right length to your board? If anyone has a picture of the foot switch, I would appreciate checking it out.

Thanks, and this whole group is very helpful.

Doug
I just did some additional experimentation on volume boosts with the VM. If you can use the LDR and get enough gain from that setting (for rhythm), you can use the HDR for a lead boost. I also found the more gain you achieve using LDR with a OD pedal, the less difference in volume boost you will notice when switching to the HDR. So the key is to get enough gain using LDR for rhythm (using a OD pedal potentially), while still allowing enough head room to get a nice boost for leads using HDR.

The other option that has been discussed, (which I am waiting on shipment) is to use a foot switchable Weber attenuator to attenuate the rhythm, (in either LDR or HDR), and use the bypass function in the Weber to give you a lead boost without affecting the gain.

I know for sure you can forget about using the loop with a boost pedal to get the lead kick. The more gain you pump into that loop, the less effect in terms of volume boost you will achieve.

The other thing I noticed is the effect send is really hot, and can overdrive pedal effects such as delays. They will start to sound "choppy" if you are not careful. I have tried the -4 db switch as a pad, but it did not make that much of a difference. I would be curious if others have noticed the same thing.

I will update you on the Weber option, but I have heard others have had good luck with this option. Thanks again for reading, and I welcome and respect your comments.

Doug

frank9310
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 6 times
Been liked: 38 times

Postby frank9310 » 21 Dec 2009, 21:40

macsmith wrote:Hello

I dont use the internal reverb. If i need a reverb, i will run a good one through the effects loop.
So i don't need the reverb control and i don't need the footswitch for the reverb.
My amp-tech changed the reverb pot for a second master and made it switchable by the reverb-footswitch.
I payed 100 € for the mod in Germany. Thats the same you have to pay for a pedal, but it works an sounds perfect.

Best regards
Michael
Any inside pics or schematic of how your tech did it? Also, is it reverseable?
"It may take talent to play fast, but it takes SOUL to say something between the notes....."

"Most people are about as happy as they make their minds up to be..." ~ Abe Lincoln

http://www.facebook.com/frank93101
http://www.facebook.com/areyouexperiencedband

Band page http://areyouexperienced.net/RobinTrowe ... clips.html

Electronic Press Kit (EPK) http://www.gigmasters.com/presskit.aspx?id=62115

ironlung40
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby ironlung40 » 01 Jan 2010, 16:55

[/quote]Okay I just played out last night with the VM for the first time. You guys really know your stuff, because unlike my 800, 6100, and JVM, the VM loop is different for sure.[/quote]

Hey Doug,

I was thinking of buying a reissue 2203. Does the effects loop on it work in the traditional way the OP seems to be seeking in this thread? Simply, will it give you a volume boost when a clean boost is engaged or does it act like the vintage modern loop and saturate more with little to no volume increase?

Slashwannabe1
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 182 times
Been liked: 98 times

Postby Slashwannabe1 » 01 Jan 2010, 20:36

macsmith wrote:Hello

Best regards
Michael
I would love to do this mod!

Myself as well never use the onboard reverb.
Amplifiers: Marshall 2555x 100watt Silver Jubilee Full Stack with matching 2551AV & 2551BV 8x12 70 watt Vintage 30 speakers.
Marshall 2466 100watt Vintage Modern w/ Matching 425A cab
1966 Fender Bandmaster
Effects: MXR:M234 Analog Chorus, Phase90, Slash Octave Fuzz, Slash SC95 Wah. BOSS: RV-3 & DD3 Reverb & Delay, GE-7 EQ,NS-2 Noise Suppressor, CS-3 Compression Sustainer
Guitars: 6 Les Pauls with Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 Pro Pickups.

Doug_MVM
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Doug_MVM » 02 Jan 2010, 07:23

ironlung40 wrote:
Okay I just played out last night with the VM for the first time. You guys really know your stuff, because unlike my 800, 6100, and JVM, the VM loop is different for sure.[/quote]

Hey Doug,

I was thinking of buying a reissue 2203. Does the effects loop on it work in the traditional way the OP seems to be seeking in this thread? Simply, will it give you a volume boost when a clean boost is engaged or does it act like the vintage modern loop and saturate more with little to no volume increase?[/quote]

Yes, you will find the loop in the 2203 reissue (JCM 800) works beautifully with a EQ or clean boost pedal for leads. The volume will jump up nicely, and give a little more gain (in a nice way) to the lead tone. I believe the loop feeds the power amp directly, so you will have no problems.

cobcakes
<25
<25

Postby cobcakes » 03 Jan 2010, 10:03

With a Paul on High Dynamic and a quality boost/compressor for the gain engine pedal board wise, you can see a volume boost between 8-10 on the volume knob, other than that the most obvious on High Dynamic is the eq in the loop, though personally I thought tone was sacrificed this way.
maxrossell wrote:Hey guys, new poster here.

I've had my VM2266 for a while now, and pretty much the only issue I have with it is that it doesn't have any kind of straight volume boost. I have it set to use LDR for cleans (although it's not really a clean, just less dirty) and HDR for the big rhythm/riff sound, but I'm trying to figure out what would be the best solution to get a good volume spike for soloing. I'm running the gains far too hot to consider boosting the front end, so I'm assuming that my only option is to use the FX loop, so what do you think:

- Use a clean boost pedal in the FX loop (I have a Toadworks Meat Jr. that I like, but I have yet to try it with the 2266)

- Have a volume cut like the EHX signal pad on in the FX loop most of the time and then switch it off when I want to solo (I've heard this thins out the tone, not so keen, plus it'll suck batteries)

- Use an EQ pedal in the FX loop, turn up the midrange and crank the output a bit on that

- 4th solution I haven't thought of

Any advice greatly appreciated.

2bpage
<25
<25

Postby 2bpage » 04 Jan 2010, 17:58

I struggled with the same thing and found the LDR to be thin. With the 2266 I have had great success with a True Tone Clean Boost pedal. Guitar to pedal - pedal to amp input. Completely lifts the volume without gain change.

-- Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:59 pm --

I struggled with the same thing and found the LDR to be thin. With the 2266 I have had great success with a True Tone Clean Boost pedal. Guitar to pedal - pedal to amp input. Completely lifts the volume without gain change.

Return to “Marshall Vintage Modern”