Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Doug_MVM
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

In ear monitor experiences/help

Postby Doug_MVM » 13 Feb 2010, 08:03

I just played out last night using in-ear monitors for the first time. I loved the vocal mix, but I could not get the guitar tone/vibe through the earbuds that I get when listening to the VM directly from the 425B cab. It's hard to explain. Basically the amp and feel are great without the earbuds, but it sounds "in your face" and sort of dry I suppose through the in ear system. I ended up pulling one bud out, and leaving the other in for vocal monitoring. The system was a Shure PM 200 I believe. I also picked up some Shure buds.

What has been your experience with in ear systems? The rest of the guys in the band said it takes a few gigs to get used to using them. I would appreciate any comments, or suggestions as to how to make using in ear monitors a better experience. I am back out tonight, so any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

Doug

PS. I also used my new Hardwire OD and Delay, and Detox EQ for the first time, and they sounded great (when I pulled the other ear bud out)

burnsy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 216 times
Been liked: 343 times

Re: In ear monitor experiences/help

Postby burnsy » 13 Feb 2010, 08:10

Never used 'em myself but I know a lot of singers that do. To a man, they all go for the 'one ear in - one ear out' method - same criticisms that you've raised.
Victory 'Red Dwarf' RD1
Victory 1x12 Creamback
Fender Blues Junior
Ampmaker 18w Combo

Previous Amps:
WEM Clubman, Vox AC30, Sound City 50, JTM45, JMP50, 9004, DSL50, 9001, EL84 20/20, DSL401, Class 5, 2266, Tiny Terror

pillagethesound
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby pillagethesound » 13 Feb 2010, 08:45

Im a monitor engineer for a living. I use the things all the time. Switching from wedges to IEMs throws a lot of guys off. What you did is what a lot of guys do, even if theyve been using them for a while. Unplug one ear. Youve gotta think, that bud has an extremely small diaphram speaker. These things sound great and all, but they sound different than hearing your tone through a 12" speaker. you wont get the same low end response and your sound will be a lot tighter. The buds that typically have the best tone reproduction actually have two drivers in them, a low and a high driver...but they are pricey. Youll spend more then $200 just for earbuds.

Do you have to use the in ears? If they do bother you id just switch to using traditional wedges, IEMs arent for everyone. Some big name bands ive done wont use IEMs
Life your life, you can sleep when you're dead

Doug_MVM
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Doug_MVM » 13 Feb 2010, 09:16

pillagethesound wrote:Im a monitor engineer for a living. I use the things all the time. Switching from wedges to IEMs throws a lot of guys off. What you did is what a lot of guys do, even if theyve been using them for a while. Unplug one ear. Youve gotta think, that bud has an extremely small diaphram speaker. These things sound great and all, but they sound different than hearing your tone through a 12" speaker. you wont get the same low end response and your sound will be a lot tighter. The buds that typically have the best tone reproduction actually have two drivers in them, a low and a high driver...but they are pricey. Youll spend more then $200 just for earbuds.

Do you have to use the in ears? If they do bother you id just switch to using traditional wedges, IEMs arent for everyone. Some big name bands ive done wont use IEMs
Thanks for the great information. The other guitar player let me borrow his system to try. All the other members are using these systems, and they are "encouraging" me to do the same (in the name of reducing stage volume, and the hassles that go with wedges) Maybe I am just playing too loud. (Marshall VM master volume at 12:00 -50W version) So I am on the fence, but I don't want to ditch the idea so quickly as everyone says it takes a couple of gigs to get used to it.

musicman
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby musicman » 13 Feb 2010, 10:53

This is interesting as my band is thinking about buying an in ear system.
Can't you just set your amp how you like it then trust in your sound even if it sounds "bad" through the in ear monitors.
I can't see you will be too loud with a 50w VM on half.
Our idea is that we will be able to play louder if we don't have wedge monitor feedback problems !

Doug_MVM
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Doug_MVM » 13 Feb 2010, 11:10

musicman wrote:This is interesting as my band is thinking about buying an in ear system.
Can't you just set your amp how you like it then trust in your sound even if it sounds "bad" through the in ear monitors.
I can't see you will be too loud with a 50w VM on half.
Our idea is that we will be able to play louder if we don't have wedge monitor feedback problems !
For me it sort of buzz killed the vibe/feel/inspiration from the ambient tone you get from the amp. I think you all know what I am getting at here. It simply wasn't as fun using the system. And it's all about the fun. I'm giving it another shot tonight to see how it goes.

musicman
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby musicman » 13 Feb 2010, 17:08

OK I know what you're saying.
Sounds like one bud in & one out is the way to go.

ironlung40
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby ironlung40 » 13 Feb 2010, 17:30

maybe you need some "bud" to mellow out and have a little fun, before going onstage and using the buds. :high

pillagethesound
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby pillagethesound » 13 Feb 2010, 19:12

musicman wrote: Our idea is that we will be able to play louder if we don't have wedge monitor feedback problems !
If your monitor guy is worth his pay you could play dimed on everything and a singer with his mic practically in the wedge with no feedback in the wedges lol :whatever

the IEMs you were using, was the pack wired or wireless?
Life your life, you can sleep when you're dead

musicman
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby musicman » 14 Feb 2010, 02:55

I wish.

Doug_MVM
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Doug_MVM » 14 Feb 2010, 08:09

I used IEM's last night again, and it was much better. I kept one in that was facing the band (mainly the drummer), and I popped the other one out to monitor the VM directly. I just had them send me (mon send) the other vocals in at about 10:00, with my own vocals at 12:00 setting. I had just a touch (about 7:00) sent from the VM, and a little of the other guitar player. The vibe was there, and I could here the vocals great. Thanks for the feedback, and I would love to hear any other stories or experiences you may have.

Doug

PS. I really appreciate discussions on "applications" in a live setting, along with the equipment discussions. Thanks again.

Return to “Marshall Vintage Modern”