thebigt71
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Need advice using effects loop

Postby thebigt71 » 06 Mar 2010, 12:30

Helllo everyone,

First off, I wanted to thank everyone on this forum. The posts have been very helpful to understand the VM 2466 head that I acquired in December 2009. It has become my primary amp for the band I currently play in.

I have never used an effects loop. I used a 1983 JCM 800 for the last 17 years and that amp does not have an effects loop. I ran all the pedals through the front of that amp, as I do now with the VM. Currently, I used a OD, delay, wah, tuner and EQ on in front of the amp.

My questions about the effects loop are:

1) Can I run all these pedals through the effects loop? And is so, will the tuner work? Or do I have to keep the tuner out in front?

2) Also, will the OD pedal work well in the effects loop. I can reading that OD pedals should be out in front of the amp.

3) Is it best to split the pedals and have some run through the effects loop and others out in front? I would prefer not to do this, since I really have a hard time plugging into pedals. I always forget what goes where and adding more cables is a recipe for disaster for me, and I'm a bit lazy (truth be told).

4) I use the delay pedal the most, and I really don't like the sound of it out in front of the amp. Didn't like it with the JCM 800 and don't like it with the VM. I have to keep the levels on the pedal very low and even then I get feedback and a "cluttered" sound when the gain is high up, like when I take a lead part. If I have the volume on the guitar reduced, the delay pedal sounds really good. Turn up the volume for leads, and its not so good.

Thank you for any advice and tips. They are very much appreciated.

BTW-I really do love this amp very much. It cuts through perfectly in the mix and on lead parts. Not a brutal and forceful as my 800, but easier to manage, as that amp was like riding a bull---have to be careful with volume!!!!!
VM 2466
JCM 800 (2204 vertical input 1983)
JCM 900
1960AV
1960AX
Gibson Les Paul Standard

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Re: Need advice using effects loop

Postby slowpokerhino » 06 Mar 2010, 12:57

You can run all your effects through the loop, but you will probably not like the results.
OD & Wah really should go in front for best performance. If you do not like the delay in front, you will probably prefer to put that in the loop. The tuner will be okay in either position. The EQ works in either position but acts differently depending on where in the signal you have it. Try both and see which you prefer.
So, if you really want to use the loop to get the most out of your pedals, you're probably going to have to split them up. Since you seem happy with all the pedals but the delay all in front, I'd just try the delay only in the loop. Try to keep it as simple as you can.

A little word of advise, do not power pedals used in the loop and in front of the amp with the same power supply. It will probably cause a ground loop and/or hum.

thebigt71
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby thebigt71 » 06 Mar 2010, 16:21

Thanks for the advice. Any other tips?

Thanks in advance.
VM 2466
JCM 800 (2204 vertical input 1983)
JCM 900
1960AV
1960AX
Gibson Les Paul Standard

pedrozepelim
<25
<25

Postby pedrozepelim » 07 Mar 2010, 05:26

Just as slowpokerhino said.

Orbis_Mortis
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Orbis_Mortis » 07 Mar 2010, 08:37

slowpokerhino wrote: A little word of advise, do not power pedals used in the loop and in front of the amp with the same power supply. It will probably cause a ground loop and/or hum.
I haven't had a problem with this at all. I power all my pedals with a Visual Sounds 1 Spot. I have my delay in the loop and everything else in front. Thanks for the info though. That will be the first place I check if I have any noise issues.
Guitars:
2007 Fender American Deluxe Ash Strat
1990 Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp:
Marshall Vintage Modern 2466
Cab:
Mesa Recto Vertical 2x12 (Vintage 30's)
Pedals:
Keeley Compressor > EVH Wah > Twosome > Fulltone FD2 Mosfet > Suhr Riot

jab
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Been liked: 20 times

Postby jab » 08 Mar 2010, 08:00

you'll find the delay in the loop really cleans up the delays, no more scratchy sounding repeats. As for the eq, when in front it's more like eq'ing your guitar's sound. In the loop, you're giving your amp a final eq and it's much more responsive and clean. Personal preference thing, but I like it in the loop. I'm like you though, lazy and don't like complicated configurations especially when faced with a fast setup.

I made a snake out of 3 guitar cords with plastic ties. Off of my fx board I marked each plug end with a Sharpie (send, return, amp), and the same on the other ends of the cords. Therefore for setup I know where everything goes and it's just like wrapping 1 cord.
JMD:1 50W head (in the past: Marshall VM 2266/DSL 50/Mesa Boogie Stiletto/Dual Rec/Electra Dyne/Vox Night Train), Mesa Boogie V-30 Roadster cabs, Barber Tone Press, Eventide Timefactor, Nebula Mojohand Phaser, Xotic RC, Rocktron Talkbox, Guitars (1958 Historic Reissue Wildwood Spec LP, Custom Shop ES-335, Custom Shop LP Jr., Amer Deluxe Tele, '57 Reissue Strat, HSS Strat, Martin DC-16RGTE, Taylor 355CE 12 string, Godin A8 & Kentucky KM-1000 mandolins, Pono ukulele, Gold Tone PBS Resonator).

Doug_MVM
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Doug_MVM » 15 Mar 2010, 05:59

jab wrote:you'll find the delay in the loop really cleans up the delays, no more scratchy sounding repeats. As for the eq, when in front it's more like eq'ing your guitar's sound. In the loop, you're giving your amp a final eq and it's much more responsive and clean. Personal preference thing, but I like it in the loop. I'm like you though, lazy and don't like complicated configurations especially when faced with a fast setup.

I made a snake out of 3 guitar cords with plastic ties. Off of my fx board I marked each plug end with a Sharpie (send, return, amp), and the same on the other ends of the cords. Therefore for setup I know where everything goes and it's just like wrapping 1 cord.
I would have to say the scratchy sounds (or repeats) with the delay in loop depends on how much gain you have in front of the delay (while it is in the loop). I have researched this issue extensively, and I don't like what I am finding out about the VM effects loop.

Apparently the trade off in the design (cool gain control with the GTR volume control) is that the effects loop can run rather hot (depending on if you are in HDR for example). This creates bad sounding delays in the loop. I am surprised more folks here have not recognized this effect. Maybe most are either not using delays, or placing the delay in front of the amp.

You can test this by running your delay in most any other loop. I have tested with my 800, 6100, and JVM. The delays all sound spacious and beautiful. (I have a Hardwire DL delay). Now leave the settings, and simply replace with the VM. You may need to adjust the delay level from amp to amp. I run in HDR. The delay is either being clipped, or the the inverter is clipping the delay trails. It sounds like crap.

This is my only bitch about the amp. I have not found a solution to this issue. I have tried a Rocktron Intellifex, and carefully watched the effect levels, and it is still there.

I am convinced the root problem is the hot loop, and the player using similar gain as a 800. By the way, my Detail and Body are only at 12:00, so I don't consider that over the top in terms of gain.

Sorry for the rant. I love you guys and all of your knowledge and passion, but this needs to be said. Maybe because the design is meant to replicate the feel of a non-effect loop amp (early Marshall), it is not expected to place any delays in the loop?

Thanks for reading, and I don't mean any disrespect here. I love the amp tone, and I am not getting rid of it.

Doug

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Postby SteveD » 15 Mar 2010, 13:05

Have you tried it set to +4dB which has less gain on the return although the send will be hotter. It might work better for you, especially if you use a delay with an input level control. (Even better if there is an output level control also, which I believe the Intelifex should have).
Still my guitar gently weeps

Doug_MVM
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Doug_MVM » 16 Mar 2010, 12:26

SteveD wrote:Have you tried it set to +4dB which has less gain on the return although the send will be hotter. It might work better for you, especially if you use a delay with an input level control. (Even better if there is an output level control also, which I believe the Intelifex should have).
Hi Steve,

Thanks very much for the suggestions. I appreciate hearing this straight from the creator. I think that did help. I set the VM loop switch to send at +4 dB, and then adjusted the Intellifex input so it was not clipping. I then set the Intellifex output switch to -10dB as to not overdrive the FX return (inverter) on the VM. I then adjusted the Intellifex output control to provide the closest level possible to match what the VM level would be with the FX loop bypassed. It is tricky to get all the levels adjusted properly, but I think it is pretty close.

This does lead me to believe that most folks are overdriving the inverter tube somewhat if playing in HDR. It's not going to be a problem if the loop is unused, or if there are not time based effects being used in the loop. I think I was hearing the inverter distorting the delay repeats. Stomp box delays in the loop may be an issue, as most do not have input sensitivity adjustments. It all comes down to how much gain you have pumped into the loop from the preamp.

Thanks again for the help. Your comments and opinions are appreciated and respected.

Doug

C0ldFart
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby C0ldFart » 20 Mar 2010, 06:14

Doug_MVM wrote:This does lead me to believe that most folks are overdriving the inverter tube...
Isn't the fx return clipping like a limiter before the it get's into tubes
-=Ketil=-

Doug_MVM
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Doug_MVM » 20 Mar 2010, 08:04

C0ldFart wrote:
Doug_MVM wrote:This does lead me to believe that most folks are overdriving the inverter tube...
Isn't the fx return clipping like a limiter before the it get's into tubes
You may be correct. Running in HDR with the loop bypassed, I believe the signal is pretty hot that is feeding the inverter tube at the end of the preamp. There is no nastiness what so ever. With the loop engaged, I watched the input of my Intellifex, and I know it is not being overdriven. I can carefully control the output of the Intellifex which feeds back into the FX return (and the inverter tube). I place the Intellifex output to the -10dB position, and I can make the nasty delay trail distortion go away by controlling the Intellifex output volume.

The frustrating part is I cannot get the "clean delay" output level to match the level of the VM FX loop in bypass. I basically stood by the amp and flipped the FX bypass button on and off, to try to match the levels while I played the guitar. It's hard to explain. Obviously, I am trying to get the same gain with the delay engaged, that you would get with the loop bypassed. This experiment has led me to believe some components either in the effect return buffers, or the inverter tube circuit are easily overdriven.

My plan is to either ween myself off of delays in the loop, or run the VM as the "dry" amp in a stereo configuration.

Thanks again for reading.

Doug

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted

Postby SteveD » 20 Mar 2010, 13:17

The Vintage Modern's loop circuit restores the return signal back to the same level as bypass mode. You should be able to verify this by having nothing plugged into the loop and toggling the 'Loop' button on and off. The limiting circuit only comes into play if someone feeds an excessive signal into the return that may cause damage to the FX return and/or poweramp.

jab
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts

Postby jab » 22 Mar 2010, 07:20

SteveD: one more fx loop question. You mentioned the best way to get a solo boost is to reduce the level on an eq/boost pedal for normal playing, and for solo's turn the stomp box off to restore the normal/louder signal.

With the way the VM fx loop works, is having an eq/boost in the loop essentially the same as having it in front of the amp? Will it behave much differently either in front or in the loop?
JMD:1 50W head (in the past: Marshall VM 2266/DSL 50/Mesa Boogie Stiletto/Dual Rec/Electra Dyne/Vox Night Train), Mesa Boogie V-30 Roadster cabs, Barber Tone Press, Eventide Timefactor, Nebula Mojohand Phaser, Xotic RC, Rocktron Talkbox, Guitars (1958 Historic Reissue Wildwood Spec LP, Custom Shop ES-335, Custom Shop LP Jr., Amer Deluxe Tele, '57 Reissue Strat, HSS Strat, Martin DC-16RGTE, Taylor 355CE 12 string, Godin A8 & Kentucky KM-1000 mandolins, Pono ukulele, Gold Tone PBS Resonator).

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted

Postby SteveD » 22 Mar 2010, 14:56

Boosting in the front of the amp causes the first preamp valve to overdrive giving desirable distortion. Boosting in the loop will simply cause the protective diode limiting to kick in which is not really desirable.

jab
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts

Postby jab » 22 Mar 2010, 15:46

SteveD: looked through the forum for the answer but can't seem to find it. IF I use an eq pedal "on" with the level set lower than unity for rhythm, then turn the eq pedal "off" for solos, in your opinion would you put it in the fx loop or in front of the amp?

Return to “Marshall Vintage Modern”