http://www.myspace.com/buckshotbradley

Crazy_Guitar
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Full stack volume

Postby Crazy_Guitar » 23 Mar 2010, 04:32

I always find a full-stack too directional for my personal taste.
I'd rather have two slanted 4x12"s side-by-side than having a full-stack.

Plus, it allows me to have stereo effects.

Gonzo
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Has Liked: 42 times
Been liked: 42 times

Postby Gonzo » 23 Mar 2010, 06:42

Our last rehearsal I put my angled cab on it's side, and found the sound to be VERY wide. My bass player went to take a piss, and as he walked back I was noodling around, he said it sounded like a speaker was in the other corner of the room, on the other side of our gear trailer, haha.

It looks kinda funny though.

pillagethesound
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby pillagethesound » 23 Mar 2010, 06:56

Ex-Mesa wrote:For that Science 101 thing above: The included projection angle of a slant cab is 11 degrees greater than a flat cab. :doh

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cac ... sZ5TzZZiAA
I wasnt refering to the actual angle of the cab, which is all the blueprints show, but the angle at which sound leaves the speakers and is directed out of the cab. If 12" speakers arent mounted in what forms a v pattern slightly facing each other (PA speakers do this, expecially in line arrays) the best speaker directionallity you get is the sound comes out of the front.

http://www.aster-proaudio.com/pro_img/AT--LineArray.jpg this photo shows what i mean, the subs are what is called horn loaded, facing back into the cab and chambered out to the front to make the subs have more thump but also directionality and the 12" low mid speakers in the speaker cabs are facing each other in a wide V pattern to give them direction as well
Life your life, you can sleep when you're dead

DogFalcon
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 11 times
Been liked: 1 time

Postby DogFalcon » 23 Mar 2010, 07:07

Crazy_Guitar wrote:I always find a full-stack too directional for my personal taste.

What about a two full stack combination??? :D

yeah!

Crazy_Guitar
<25
<25

Postby Crazy_Guitar » 23 Mar 2010, 07:30

DogFalcon wrote:
Crazy_Guitar wrote:I always find a full-stack too directional for my personal taste.

yeah!
I can't think of a scenario where I would actually make use of that.
Maybe when we play Wembley? :jam :rocker :party :beerbud

pillagethesound
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby pillagethesound » 23 Mar 2010, 07:31

DogFalcon wrote:

yeah!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... Slayer.jpg

Ill one up ya, hows about a speaker wall!! haha, this is the kind of thing that would blow you off the stage.

DogFalcon
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 11 times
Been liked: 1 time

Postby DogFalcon » 23 Mar 2010, 07:37

pillagethesound wrote:
DogFalcon wrote:

yeah!

Ill one up ya, hows about a speaker wall!! haha, this is the kind of thing that would blow you off the stage.

Hell yeah!!! but...

Not all the cabinets you see are real ones! ;)

the purpose is only cosmetic!

Note the sunshine reflex through some cabinets. Some show the speakers. Other's don't.

Btw:

What a setup!!!!

cheers,

burnsy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 216 times
Been liked: 343 times

Postby burnsy » 23 Mar 2010, 08:32

If we're talking 'directional' and 'projection' I thought I'd pitch in.

Used to have a problem using a half-stack on smaller stages. If I could get about 12 feet away from the amp everything sounded good. Get closer and the high frequencies seemed to get lost until you walked across the front of the speaker to the sweet spot. Here, the treble frequencies hit you like a bullet take two steps to the left or right and they're gone.
This will come as no suprise to anyone that's tried recording a guitar amp. Don't put the mike in the middle of the speaker cone 'cos all you'll get is treble.
What worked for me, and has done for some time, is installing Weber Beam Blockers to all 4 speakers. These fellas feature a simple foam semi-sphere that sits above the centre of the speaker cone and throws the shaft of high frequencies outwards to mix with the rest of the sound. Result - same sound the audience is hearing anywhere on stage!
My drummer now says he can hear what's going on where he was struggling to hear the guitar, even at high volume levels, at some smaller gigs.
Victory 'Red Dwarf' RD1
Victory 1x12 Creamback
Fender Blues Junior
Ampmaker 18w Combo

Previous Amps:
WEM Clubman, Vox AC30, Sound City 50, JTM45, JMP50, 9004, DSL50, 9001, EL84 20/20, DSL401, Class 5, 2266, Tiny Terror

Erikk Von Hyde
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Postby Erikk Von Hyde » 23 Mar 2010, 10:06

I've heard very good things about using blockers and/or dampers/buffers for live situations like Burnsy's saying. I wouldn't be opposed to experimenting with that if I could get a sound range going on that worked for everybody... myself being the most important of course. I've always been a fan of running two 4x12 bottom cabs for a beefier sound, even if it's just one head pushing them you kick on a chorus pedal & still get a great spread/pseudo-stereo sound. I think a full stack at the volumes I play would just make me go fuckin' deaf!
" Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy "

pillagethesound
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby pillagethesound » 23 Mar 2010, 12:53

DogFalcon wrote:
pillagethesound wrote:
DogFalcon wrote:

yeah!

Hell yeah!!! but...

Not all the cabinets you see are real ones! ;)

the purpose is only cosmetic!

Note the sunshine reflex through some cabinets. Some show the speakers. Other's don't.

Btw:

What a setup!!!!

cheers,
Oh i know, they used to do that back in the old days when PAs werent what they are now. Ive done so many shows with fake cabs like this. The worst is when the guitar play doesnt tell you which cabs are dummies and you spend all day finding the cabs that need to be miced.

Green Manalishi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby Green Manalishi » 23 Mar 2010, 15:02

burnsy wrote:If we're talking 'directional' and 'projection' I thought I'd pitch in.

Used to have a problem using a half-stack on smaller stages. If I could get about 12 feet away from the amp everything sounded good. Get closer and the high frequencies seemed to get lost until you walked across the front of the speaker to the sweet spot. Here, the treble frequencies hit you like a bullet take two steps to the left or right and they're gone.
This will come as no suprise to anyone that's tried recording a guitar amp. Don't put the mike in the middle of the speaker cone 'cos all you'll get is treble.
What worked for me, and has done for some time, is installing Weber Beam Blockers to all 4 speakers. These fellas feature a simple foam semi-sphere that sits above the centre of the speaker cone and throws the shaft of high frequencies outwards to mix with the rest of the sound. Result - same sound the audience is hearing anywhere on stage!
My drummer now says he can hear what's going on where he was struggling to hear the guitar, even at high volume levels, at some smaller gigs.
Do they really work that well? What size did you get? I think there are 4" and 5"?
Crossroadsnyc douche of the year, and everyone at TGP tied for 2nd

Ex-Mesa
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Ex-Mesa » 23 Mar 2010, 20:54

+1 on the blockers. I made my own DIY style that hang on the front of the grill cloth. I bring them to rehearsal studios where I use whatever cabs are there.
With great distortion comes great responsibility.
VM2466, 425b, Fender Showmaster Strat, Ultra Fuzz, RC Boost, VibraTrem, VP Jr, Hardwire Delay, 535Q, Pigtronix Envelope Phaser
Other Stuff: Mesa Lonestar, Peavey JSX, VHT Sig:X, 1936V30, 70 LP Deluxe, 72 LP 3 pup Artisan, Am Dlx Strat, Voodoo Strat, EVH Wolfgang, Schecter Loomis 7 string, Ibanez JP-20, First Act Delia 540, Godin SD 24, OCD, Rat, Analogman OD9, Adrenalinn, Tone Press, Guvnor, 70's fuzz

burnsy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 216 times
Been liked: 343 times

Postby burnsy » 24 Mar 2010, 02:57

Hi 'Green'

Yeah they do the job for me. It's just spreading that high frequency range closer to the cab rather than waiting till the sound gets 'out front'.
General opinion is the 4"s are the way to go and that's what I use. The 5"s will disperse a wider frequency range but that's probably overkill.
I tried one in a combo first and was so impressed I went for all 4 in a 4x12. Could probably have tried two first but what the hell.
The Weber site has a better explanation of what's going on. All I will say is 'they work'.
Victory 'Red Dwarf' RD1
Victory 1x12 Creamback
Fender Blues Junior
Ampmaker 18w Combo

Previous Amps:
WEM Clubman, Vox AC30, Sound City 50, JTM45, JMP50, 9004, DSL50, 9001, EL84 20/20, DSL401, Class 5, 2266, Tiny Terror

Return to “Marshall Vintage Modern”