Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Spirit of 76
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Power tube distortion? Steve D

Postby Spirit of 76 » 29 Jul 2010, 09:51

At what setting on the master volume of a 2466 are the power tubes being driven hard enough to be giving up that warm distortion? I understand that the VM has a post phase inverter master volume, Is the phase inverter valve the only power tube that produces distortion or saturation or do the other tubes play into it as well? There are claims that the PI valve is where the Holy Grail tone is generated and the other tubes just power the speakers. Is this why the ppimv exists? What's better a ppimv or an attenuator for giving the most true power distortion? If I consider getting a non master volume amp like the 1959 or 1987X is it better to use an attenuator or a ppimv?

kissfanps
Consigliere
Consigliere
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 25 times

Re: Power tube distortion? Steve D

Postby kissfanps » 30 Jul 2010, 10:34

I find the power tubes start to breakup around 4 and start to cook around 6-8 on the master.

When you have a master, you are adjusting the signal going into the power amp section of the circuit after it has already passed through preamp. Thus, you can really juice the preamp without the deafening volume.
Marshall Class 5
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266C
Granger M50
Cox Tweed Twin
Gibson Les Paul Custom w/ Skatterbrane Goldbranes
Tele Partscaster - USACG '54 Neck, 50's RI Body, Lollars
Fender '56 NOS Stratocaster
Guitar -> TC Polytune -> Fulltone Clyde Deluxe -> TS-808 -> Suhr Koko Boost -> Way Huge Aqua Puss -> Lovepedal Echo Baby -> Amp

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Postby SteveD » 02 Aug 2010, 12:37

It heavily depends on how you set the preamp controls. Everyone's idea of where the sweet spot is for power amp drive varies as well.
Still my guitar gently weeps

Spirit of 76
<25
<25
Been liked: 0

Postby Spirit of 76 » 02 Aug 2010, 15:07

I am running the detail and body at 4 and the master at 5.

kissfanps
Consigliere
Consigliere
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 25 times

Postby kissfanps » 02 Aug 2010, 15:18

With this amp, the settings are totally dependent on the guitar you are using and the type of player you are. The amp seriously puts out what you put into it. Any minor alteration in front of the amp like cable, guitar wood, pickup type and height, pot values, and how you actually touch the strings will come through. So, I always take suggested settings with a grain of salt because I might need different settings to achieve the same "tone" especially in a different room with different ears.
Marshall Class 5
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266C
Granger M50
Cox Tweed Twin
Gibson Les Paul Custom w/ Skatterbrane Goldbranes
Tele Partscaster - USACG '54 Neck, 50's RI Body, Lollars
Fender '56 NOS Stratocaster
Guitar -> TC Polytune -> Fulltone Clyde Deluxe -> TS-808 -> Suhr Koko Boost -> Way Huge Aqua Puss -> Lovepedal Echo Baby -> Amp

TubeStack
Been liked: 9 times

Postby TubeStack » 14 Aug 2010, 23:53

SteveD wrote:It heavily depends on how you set the preamp controls.
Hi Steve, thanks again for making such an amazing amp. I love my 2466 dearly. :)

Does increasing the level of the preamp controls lower the spot on the master volume at which the power tubes will distort/start to sweat?

For example, I like the preamp controls in the 3 to 3.5 range and I'm finding the power tubes don't breakup until 7-8 on the MV. If I raise the preamp controls to the 4 to 6 range, will the power tubes start to breakup up earlier, at say, 6 on the MV?

Mats A
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 108 times
Been liked: 199 times

Postby Mats A » 15 Aug 2010, 04:24

As I find it with my 2266 (And I usually play HDR detail 9, body 7, bass middle and treble around 5) the biggest difference when you turn the amp up is that you get less of that high end sizzle that you hear at lower volumes (Guess that sizzle is part of the Marshall sound since it´s audible on most Marshall amps especially on lower volumes) You don´t get that much more distortion. And that happens on my amp with the master around 7 or 8 playing a Les Paul with PAF´s. The output valves may distort but I think for the most part it´s the preamp and phase inverter valves.
Many amp techs claim that transformers and speakers affect the tone more than the type of output valves.

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Postby SteveD » 15 Aug 2010, 05:22

TubeStack wrote:Does increasing the level of the preamp controls lower the spot on the master volume at which the power tubes will distort/start to sweat?
To an extent but you are also generating more distortion in the preamp.

Whatever the settings of your preamp controls you can tell by sound and feel when the power amp muscle starts taking a noticable effect by turning up the Master Volume. How much of an affect is optimum is down to personal preference.
Still my guitar gently weeps

TubeStack
Been liked: 9 times

Postby TubeStack » 15 Aug 2010, 17:19

Thanks Steve! It's such a cool thing that you're on this forum and so ready to help. Cheers.

Return to “Marshall Vintage Modern”