Moderator: longfxukxnhair

surbas
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Effects send noisy

Postby surbas » 03 Feb 2011, 13:24

I've been trying to figure out why when I use the effects loop I get so much noise. It seems to be coming from the send jack, as soon as I plug a cord into the send the VM becomes noisy. It's not as noticable on LDR. I have to use a noise suppressor to get the noise under control, which kind of sucks. I'm only using a delay and noise suppressor in the loop. I replaced all the preamp and power tubes recently but that didn't fix it. SteveD or anyone have any ideas what's going here?

If I don't use the effects loop at the all the amp is pretty darn quiet in LDR and HDR.

Scott

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Re: Effects send noisy

Postby SteveD » 03 Feb 2011, 14:04

The effects loop has a little treble compensation to account for high frequency loss when using the loop with cables and pedals but nothing dramatic. It shouldn't need a noise suppressor unless you are driving a lot of gain into the front end to start with!
Still my guitar gently weeps

KevinOConnor
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby KevinOConnor » 04 Feb 2011, 08:45

Hi Guys

Lift one end of R52 to hear the loop without the treble emphasis.

Have fun
Kevin O'Connor

surbas
<25
<25

Postby surbas » 04 Feb 2011, 11:22

I understand I'll get a little noisy when using the loop but the noise I get is ridiculous so I have to use a noise suppressor. I'm only using a delay in the loop, no other effects involved. I've tried other pedals in the loop as well, same results. I've attached an mp3 so you can hear the noise I'm talking about. Like I said, I don't get this noise when I don't use the loop.
Attachments
VN00055-20110204-1402.mp3
(881.27 KiB) Downloaded 650 times

MKB
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 96 times

Postby MKB » 04 Feb 2011, 11:51

Listening to the clip, it sounds like the noise is primarily coming from the preamp, not the effects loop. Here's a few things to try:

1) Does the noise stop when you have the amp in HDR and you unplug the cable from the input jack?

2) When you connect the effects send and return together with a 1/4" shielded cable, and enable the effects loop, does the noise change or go away? If the noise does not change, but you still get signal, your effects loop is OK.

Since the noise changes significantly when the amp is switched from LDR to HDR, the problem is most likely either at V2, V1, or the input to the amp. That noise sounds like your guitar is near a CRT monitor, or you have pedals on the amp input that are being powered by a switching power supply. Setting up the amp so it is noisy with your guitar, then unplugging the guitar cable from the front of the amp, should tell you a lot. If the amp gets quiet with the cable unhooked from the input, the problem probably isn't your amp.

surbas
<25
<25

Postby surbas » 04 Feb 2011, 14:09

Ok, tried what you suggested and here's my answers to your questions:

1) Does the noise stop when you have the amp in HDR and you unplug the cable from the input jack? YES

2) When you connect the effects send and return together with a 1/4" shielded cable, and enable the effects loop, does the noise change or go away? NO, noise does not change .

Based on my answers what does this mean?

Is it just a electrical interference problem? The thing that's weird to me is I don't get that crazy noise in HDR when not using the effects loop. It only happens when effects loop is enable and connected to a pedal.

Thanks,

Scott

-- Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:17 pm --

Well, I found the problem. My preamp tube in v1 must have been going bad, I replaced it and now the amp is much quieter. It's weird because I just retubed the whole amp back in the summer and haven't really played it much. Must have been a bad tube :(

-- Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:30 pm --

forgot to mention I just replaced preamp tubes in V1 and V2, that made it better.

Return to “Marshall Vintage Modern”