Moderator: longfxukxnhair

ufguy73
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 3 times

VM....AFD....YJM....

Postby ufguy73 » 25 Dec 2011, 23:16

so, i had originally posted a question in the AFD 100 forum some time ago about whether people thought having both the AFD 100 and the VM might be redundant. At the time, I had (and still have) the VM.

Before being able to try out an AFD 100, I stumbled on a YJM 100 and grabbed it...mostly, because I had a few weeks to return it if it didn't do it for me. L-O-V-E-D it at first....and there are still things that I love about it but now...I am just not to sure. The EPA is outstanding for me and my home use. I like the fact that it has a proper boost. I like the reverb MUCH better than my VM. But I am having a hard time dialing in any kind of edge-of-breakup type stuff with my LP. With a Strat no problem, but with my LP its like it has one speed: GO!!!!!!

My LP has a little bit hotter pickups (but nothing crazy) so I am sure that has something to do with it but the YJM 100 is basically starting to become just a "Rock Box" to me...dont get me wrong, its a GREAT Rock Box but I miss being able to be more subtle sometimes (more than just rolling off my guitar volume because that seems to impact my tone also).

Of course, problem now is the things I DO like about the YJM make it a little harder to love my VM as much - it almost feels/sounds 'soft' (others might say 'warm') in comparison but for me it 'feels' softer in the attack, which would make sense with its 45/100 lineage.

Anyway, I think the YJM 100 might be going back this week...if I can tear myself away from that glorious Crunch!!! - BUT, i found out the shop also has an AFD 100 now in stock. I am tempted to bring it home to try with my cab (1960bx) and guitars.

I realize the AFD 100 probably won't deliver my edge-of-breakup stuff but i would probably keep my VM for that.

I guess my question is (and, as I said, I have only tried 2 of the 3 but...):

If you could have 2 out of 3 to cover 60's-70's-80's Marshall goodness, which would they be - VM, YJM, and/or AFD?

Heck, maybe I should throw JCM 800 and Jub's in there too - though I have no experience with either of those?

PS: Please excuse my post if I put it in the wrong forum...it was a major b*tch trying to think about whether to put it in the VM, AFD, or YJM forum...I figure, I started with the VM (and I, apparently, still have a soft spot for it) so I put it here! :jam

Mats A
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 108 times
Been liked: 199 times

Re: VM....AFD....YJM....

Postby Mats A » 26 Dec 2011, 02:32

Think i´d keep the YJM100. But if you can do try the AFD100.

Onza_Jk
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby Onza_Jk » 26 Dec 2011, 03:13

I've played the AFD and i've got the Vintage Modern and a 1987x Plexi. I would say keep the YJM, but definatley try out the AFD, might be more too your liking.

However just a suggestion, If you find you can't dial those cleaner/breaking up tones with a les paul on the YJM, switching the bright cap or completley taking it out might help. I'm pretty sure YJM himself favoured early 70 metal faced JMP's, which would probably indicate them using quite a high value bright cap such as 4700pF, which would break the amp up considerabley earlier like the Plexi Re-issue's. Changing it to between 100pF to 500pF like the Vintage Plexi's we know and love, might allow you to get those tones your looking for. When the amp is between 8-10 on the volume it will still sound like it is currently.
Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Classic, Gibson Midtown Custom, Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster.
Amps: Marshall Vintage Modern, Marshall JTM Offset, Vox AC15.
Past Marshalls: 1987x, JVM410H, SL5, JMP1, 1960AX, 1936.

ufguy73
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby ufguy73 » 26 Dec 2011, 08:54

thanks guys - the YJM IS a really great one...I would like to keep it if at all possible.

Onza, where are you on the volume dial in the top left input when your Goldtop starts to break-up? I know its a different 50w circuit than a 1959 (and from a different period, i think) but would be curious to know - thanks!

KH Guitar Freak
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0

Postby KH Guitar Freak » 26 Dec 2011, 10:43

The AFD100 has that snarly and somewhat glassy midrange IMO. Best to try it out yourself. Personally, I'm not too fond with it unless I blend it with another amp...

Onza_Jk
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Onza_Jk » 26 Dec 2011, 10:55

ufguy73 wrote:thanks guys - the YJM IS a really great one...I would like to keep it if at all possible.

Onza, where are you on the volume dial in the top left input when your Goldtop starts to break-up? I know its a different 50w circuit than a 1959 (and from a different period, i think) but would be curious to know - thanks!
About volume 2ish, going to change the bright cap for 100pF on my Plexi next weekend to get more headroom.
Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Classic, Gibson Midtown Custom, Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster.

ufguy73
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby ufguy73 » 26 Dec 2011, 12:19

Onza_Jk wrote:
ufguy73 wrote:thanks guys - the YJM IS a really great one...I would like to keep it if at all possible.

About volume 2ish, going to change the bright cap for 100pF on my Plexi next weekend to get more headroom.
wow, interesting - that is about the same as on my YJM...i would have thought it came later on the reissue. actually, when you say '2' you meant the number not an 'o'clock' reference as in past noon?

i guess there really was a big difference between the 'vintage' plexis (ie '64-'68') and the latter ones that the 1959HW and YJM is modelled after.

what got me curious was i read an old interview with jimmy page where he says he was running his marshall heads at about 3-4 (number not o'clock) and i get WAY more crunch out of the YJM at the level - of course, i know his had different tubes, were modded, etc. which could yield more headroom...but there is not much room on the dial with the YJM before i get crunch. interestingly, my Strats stay pretty crunch-free up until past noon. i knew there was a difference but didnt think it was that drastic!

Onza_Jk
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Onza_Jk » 26 Dec 2011, 14:22

ufguy73 wrote:
Onza_Jk wrote:

wow, interesting - that is about the same as on my YJM...i would have thought it came later on the reissue. actually, when you say '2' you meant the number not an 'o'clock' reference as in past noon?

i guess there really was a big difference between the 'vintage' plexis (ie '64-'68') and the latter ones that the 1959HW and YJM is modelled after.

what got me curious was i read an old interview with jimmy page where he says he was running his marshall heads at about 3-4 (number not o'clock) and i get WAY more crunch out of the YJM at the level - of course, i know his had different tubes, were modded, etc. which could yield more headroom...but there is not much room on the dial with the YJM before i get crunch. interestingly, my Strats stay pretty crunch-free up until past noon. i knew there was a difference but didnt think it was that drastic!
Yeah at 2 the number, so around 9 o clock hah. The difference between the old plexi's and metal faces weren't too drastic, the bright cap constantly changed between years i believe. Among the easiest of mods to perform, changing them or simply snipping it out.

gtrman
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 580 times
Been liked: 550 times

Postby gtrman » 27 Dec 2011, 03:40

I have all of them .. VM AFD YJM .. even the Jubilee.
All great amps and ALL have their own flavours and tones.
If you are debating on the AFD vs YJM you have to try them both out.
They are VERY different Marshall amps and basically it all comes down to personal preference.
I like them both and thing they complement each other delivering different tones and styles.
Fractal AX-8
Axe-Fx III

Charvel Guthrie Govan Signature HSH Caramelized Ash
Charvel Guthrie Govan Signature HSH Flame Maple
Suhr 80's Shred MKII Tiger Stripe
Gibson LP VOS 57 Goldtop
PRS John Mayer Silver Sky Horizon

ufguy73
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby ufguy73 » 27 Dec 2011, 08:50

gtrman wrote:I have all of them .. VM AFD YJM .. even the Jubilee.
All great amps and ALL have their own flavours and tones.
If you are debating on the AFD vs YJM you have to try them both out.
They are VERY different Marshall amps and basically it all comes down to personal preference.
I like them both and thing they complement each other delivering different tones and styles.
thankn gtrman - nice harem you have there! :clap

do you find that your YJM breaks up very early on the dial with your LP's (like at 9-10 o'clock), when in the top left input, even without the boost?

I may just order the AFD, so i can spend some time with my own cab and guitars with my VM, YJM, and an AFD. of course, i realize this should have even more gain than my YJM, but because of this i wouldnt be expecting any type of semi-broken tones like i am trying to get out of the YJM.

gtrman
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 580 times
Been liked: 550 times

Postby gtrman » 28 Dec 2011, 03:05

ufguy73 wrote:
thankn gtrman - nice harem you have there! :clap

do you find that your YJM breaks up very early on the dial with your LP's (like at 9-10 o'clock), when in the top left input, even without the boost?

I may just order the AFD, so i can spend some time with my own cab and guitars with my VM, YJM, and an AFD. of course, i realize this should have even more gain than my YJM, but because of this i wouldnt be expecting any type of semi-broken tones like i am trying to get out of the YJM.
The YJM breaks up early yes ... I guess that's what can be expected of a Plexi.
I have bought several amps that I ended up selling even though I tried them in advance.
I prefer having an amp in my house testing it out on my guitars & cabs .. over time. Thats when you really know.
Thats actually how I ended up getting my first VM. I tried it first at a store and did not like it.
But I knew from reading up on the VM that it's a great amp once you get to dial it in ..
Fractal AX-8
Axe-Fx III

Charvel Guthrie Govan Signature HSH Caramelized Ash
Charvel Guthrie Govan Signature HSH Flame Maple
Suhr 80's Shred MKII Tiger Stripe
Gibson LP VOS 57 Goldtop
PRS John Mayer Silver Sky Horizon

Return to “Marshall Vintage Modern”