Moderator: longfxukxnhair

ylkoon
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

New found preamp

Postby ylkoon » 13 Jan 2009, 04:24

Just recently I was trying to figure out the fx loop levels to match my Boss GT10. The way I had set it up was to plug the GT10 directly into the return of the loop and just use the GT10's amp models, bypassing the 2466's preamp as I'd figured the strength of the 2466 was in the poweramp.
Despite many attempts at tweaking the GT10, I could not get a sound that I was entirely happy with.
The same thing happen today. Frustrated, I tossed the GT10 aside, and just plugged my strat straight into the front end, set it to high dynamics, mid boost in, cranked the detail and body, dimed the eqs, lowered my guitar volume to 2-3, and there it was! The TONE!

What was I thinking, trying to use the Vintage Modern without its preamp?!

The GT10 is now relegated to just providing mod and delay effects in the 2466's loop...

HappyBlues
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

same xperience

Postby HappyBlues » 13 Jan 2009, 05:07

Well, I never thought my Boss's GT-8 preamp would sound better than VM's preamp but I tried it. And you know what I must have found out. GT's preamps are useless compared to VM's. I think that we will never see a shelf-selling amp modeller with such a character, dynamics and pure valve breathing tone as Vintage Modern series offer. I use My GT-8 only for dealys and volume effects. It works great for that. But GT's models sound - sorry you modeling fans - it sounds like butt. I'm sorry, I thought I could use at least MESA Rectifier model for different sound but - no way. Lammy sound is what I got. Happily returned to VM's preamp. To be honest, even with my Peavey Classic 30 I suffered from insufficient tone syndrome when I used it as only poweramp for modeller. Peaveys preamp was just so much better. Sad truth.
Fokus Strat, alder, maple, 3x SC, natural finish, RM Pickups RS6s
Fokus Strat, alder, maple, 2x SC, 1x HB, transparent red finish
Boss FA-1, Fender PT-100 Tuner, Boss BluesDriver 2 clone - dual channel, Fulldrive 2 Mosfet clone, Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Boy, Electro-Harmonix Worm (the big one)
Custom made amp in hardwood cabinet and Fender Blackface and Marshall Jub type preamps. Jub power amp. Celestion G12 Century Next speaker.

rccCrawler
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby rccCrawler » 13 Jan 2009, 06:36

Have you tried the 4 cable method?

I always wondered what using one of these multiFX and the 4 cable method (which uses the amps preamp) would result in..... I know someone on this board is doing that ..... I would just be worried that some of the balls would be taken out of the preamp doing it this way.

TonyC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 27 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby TonyC » 13 Jan 2009, 13:43

rccCrawler wrote:Have you tried the 4 cable method?

I always wondered what using one of these multiFX and the 4 cable method (which uses the amps preamp) would result in..... I know someone on this board is doing that ..... I would just be worried that some of the balls would be taken out of the preamp doing it this way.
I do the 4 cable method with GT-8 and Mety does it with GT-10. I never use any preamp modeling from the GT-8 and I don't think Mety does that either. For me it's the VMs preamp all the way. I totally agree, you won't come close with preamp modeling.

There's no balls taken out of the preamp by using the 4 cable method. Think of it as having a couple pedals in front of the amp and a couple of others in the loop... the pedals are just put into one housing with ins and outs and a split point.

Nothing magical... nothing bad or 'tone sucking' either if set up right. Watching the levels in the VM loop is the key. And avoiding those obvious not-so-good effects in the GT-8/10.

ylkoon
<25
<25

Postby ylkoon » 16 Jan 2009, 15:31

At one stage i was using the 4cm but didn't like all the level matching. I may give it a whirl again when I have more time. The last few days, I have reverted to a very basic set up of a Boss SD1 into the front end and a RE20 in the loop for some delays. I somehow think my amp has a jealous spirit and gets annoyed when I try and modify the tone that it was meant to produce....maybe I shouldn't sniff the glowing tubes so much :wink:

Return to “Marshall Vintage Modern”