Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Sparky4444
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

425A or 425B??

Postby Sparky4444 » 05 Feb 2009, 22:38

Pretty good deal on a pair of these at Mothers Music...one of each...I really don't have much experience with 4x12's. I'll mostly be using it for recording and jamming on my own in my basement...maybe the odd big gig...Suggestions on which way to go?? I'm leaning towards the 425B simply because it just makes more sense to me from an acoustics point-of-view...I don't like having the speaker facing right at me, but rather off-axis a bit...

...but experience may dictate otherwise??

8)

Dazed&Confuzed
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Dazed&Confuzed » 05 Feb 2009, 23:54

If you're only going to have one cabinet you have to pick where the sounds gunna go, to your ears (425A) or to your balls (425B). Haha, but normally if you have one cab its the slant(425A) I've never tested them against each other to see what sounds better, but im guessing that there is a reason for having the slant if you get 1 cab. hope this helps a bit. :)

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Postby SteveD » 06 Feb 2009, 01:16

In your proposed environment there will be negligable difference in the sound. At a gig it is a matter of personal preference. :)

LivewireBlanco
The Professor
The Professor
Has Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby LivewireBlanco » 06 Feb 2009, 08:40

Always heard that the bottom cabs have more bass feeling to them. Maybe cause of a slightly larger cab interior or maybe cause of the direction of the speakers. I know AC/DC only use bottoms and stack them on top of each other.
"I play country the way a good rock guitarist should."
http://www.myspace.com/buckshotbradley

kissfanps
Consigliere
Consigliere
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 25 times

Postby kissfanps » 06 Feb 2009, 08:42

i heard it is easier to control the sound with the straight cabs when playing live...more directional? :?
Marshall Class 5
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266C
Granger M50
Cox Tweed Twin
Gibson Les Paul Custom w/ Skatterbrane Goldbranes
Tele Partscaster - USACG '54 Neck, 50's RI Body, Lollars
Fender '56 NOS Stratocaster
Guitar -> TC Polytune -> Fulltone Clyde Deluxe -> TS-808 -> Suhr Koko Boost -> Way Huge Aqua Puss -> Lovepedal Echo Baby -> Amp

jjb
<25
<25

Postby jjb » 06 Feb 2009, 11:15

LivewireBlanco wrote:Always heard that the bottom cabs have more bass feeling to them. Maybe cause of a slightly larger cab interior or maybe cause of the direction of the speakers. I know AC/DC only use bottoms and stack them on top of each other.
KC/DC only uses bottom cabs as well! (Shameless plug...)

Seriously though, I have only ever used bottom cabinets.....I have been told they have more bass as well but I have never actually A-B'd them with tops to find out myself....

BenjiJuanKenobi
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Been liked: 1 time

Postby BenjiJuanKenobi » 06 Feb 2009, 13:19

Whether you have stage monitors can also be a consideration in whether to go straight face or slant. It doesn't seem like you are going to be playing in a situation requiring several musicians playing at loud volumes together.
The goal is soul. May the Force be with you.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 06 Feb 2009, 17:08

i heard it is easier to control the sound with the straight cabs when playing live
I totally agree with that statement.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Sparky4444
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Sparky4444 » 06 Feb 2009, 19:43

I haven't pulled the trigger yet...A little over my head I might be getting with a 4x12, but its more of a pre-mid-life crisis thing as opposed to a practical thing :wink:

I should be getting a 1936 or some other good 2x12, but screw it...Rock n Roll and screw the neighbors :P

Dave W
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 18 times
Been liked: 176 times

Postby Dave W » 06 Feb 2009, 20:03

I have the 4-12. If you think a 4-12 is to much, then just hit the switch on the back to stereo and put the ohms setting on your amp to the correct spot and you have a 2-12 running. I use mine at home andjust prefer the sound of 2-12's being pushed a little compared to all 4-12's at lower volume. I also have the speakers wired in an X pattern. to me it sounds a little fuller when using 2-12's. When going for more volume or more clean sound I switch back to 4-12's. Works well. I have the angled cabs. I do not think it makes a difference as I use at home compared to using a botom cab. basically in the house anything above 2 on the master sounds loud. So whether its a t 2 or 5 my wife thinks its to loud si I just go for 5. The cabs and speakers are cool.

Sparky4444
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Sparky4444 » 06 Feb 2009, 20:35

Dave W wrote:I have the 4-12. If you think a 4-12 is to much, then just hit the switch on the back to stereo and put the ohms setting on your amp to the correct spot and you have a 2-12 running
Does this actually sound good?? If so, good call..I didn't think about that :wink:

jsegovia
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby jsegovia » 07 Feb 2009, 09:57

In my experience the angle on the slant cab isn't enough to really affect how much you're hearing, unless you always stand right in front of the amp, facing the amp. Jim Marshall made the original slant cabs so the top of the cab would taper up to about the depth of the head which looked better to him, NOT so guitar players could hear more of their sound.

Unfortunately we play in cramped rehearsal spaces or on smaller stages so even with a 4X12 and a loud 100 watt amp most of the sound goes to my legs anyway - the audience and the rest of the band says I'm screaming but I can't hear exactly what I'm playing! I'll have to tell the wife I need a full stack! :)

But yes, lots of guitar playters swear by the B cabs which they say gives them more bottom. That's all Jimmy Page has used for years and that's all Frampton has used to a long time. I never A/B'd my old JMP half stack with B cab directly with my VM half stack with A cab so this may be completely wrong but in my memory the JMP seemed to have a bit more bottom (as long as the preamp was on 10!) and the VM seems a bit brighter.

Jesse
'07 Marshall Vintage Modern 2466
'07 Marshall 425A cab
'89 Gibson Les Paul Custom three pickup
'05 Fender Eric Johnson Strat

Kongels
Been liked: 9 times

Postby Kongels » 07 Feb 2009, 10:23

I would get whichever one is cheaper. :)

Dave W
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Dave W » 07 Feb 2009, 12:16

Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:35 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dave W wrote:
I have the 4-12. If you think a 4-12 is to much, then just hit the switch on the back to stereo and put the ohms setting on your amp to the correct spot and you have a 2-12 running

Does this actually sound good?? If so, good call..I didn't think about that

Yes, it does soound good. I took the back of the cab off and rewired the speakers in an X patternso when in stereo you have one uppper and one lower speaker on each side, just figured it would be a little more fuller sounding that way, but its not necessary. If you are using the 100 watt head, when using just 2 speakers you cannot dime the master volume without taking a risk. The speakers are rated at 25 watts each so 2 equals 50 watts. Thats twice of 100 and the amp may possibly put out a few more than 100 watts in high dynamic mode I do not know. I tend to gamble a little, but I have gone up to master volume of 7 in low dynamic but no higher than 5 in high dynamic. I may be an idiot and blow a speaker someday, but it has been fine so far. It still gets loud, I mean the master on 5 in high dynamic into 2-12's in a 15 x 15 foot room will pound your ears after awhile. Think of it as a 4-12 cab that can change into a big box 2-12 cab. If you are looking to just get a 2-12 just google Avatar Speakers they are thye best bang for your buck out there and they are all birch plywood compared to the Marshall being plywood speaker baffle and the rest particle board. Avatar prices just went up a little but still very reasonable. With Avatar you cannot get the Vintage Modern special Celestion speakers though. If you look at the Vintage series by Avatar for the 2-12, just keep in mind, that the Vintage 2-12 is only a few inches smaller than a 4-12. Good Luck!

Dave W
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Dave W » 07 Feb 2009, 12:17

Dave W wrote:Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:35 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dave W wrote:
I have the 4-12. If you think a 4-12 is to much, then just hit the switch on the back to stereo and put the ohms setting on your amp to the correct spot and you have a 2-12 running

Does this actually sound good?? If so, good call..I didn't think about that
Yes, it does soound good. I took the back of the cab off and rewired the speakers in an X patternso when in stereo you have one uppper and one lower speaker on each side, just figured it would be a little more fuller sounding that way, but its not necessary. If you are using the 100 watt head, when using just 2 speakers you cannot dime the master volume without taking a risk. The speakers are rated at 25 watts each so 2 equals 50 watts. Thats twice of 100 and the amp may possibly put out a few more than 100 watts in high dynamic mode I do not know. I tend to gamble a little, but I have gone up to master volume of 7 in low dynamic but no higher than 5 in high dynamic. I may be an idiot and blow a speaker someday, but it has been fine so far. It still gets loud, I mean the master on 5 in high dynamic into 2-12's in a 15 x 15 foot room will pound your ears after awhile. Think of it as a 4-12 cab that can change into a big box 2-12 cab. If you are looking to just get a 2-12 just google Avatar Speakers they are thye best bang for your buck out there and they are all birch plywood compared to the Marshall being plywood speaker baffle and the rest particle board. Avatar prices just went up a little but still very reasonable. With Avatar you cannot get the Vintage Modern special Celestion speakers though. If you look at the Vintage series by Avatar for the 2-12, just keep in mind, that the Vintage 2-12 is only a few inches smaller than a 4-12. Good Luck!

Return to “Marshall Vintage Modern”