What type of music do you use the VM with?

Vintage Modern Head and Combo

Moderator: longfxukxnhair

jallstars
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

What type of music do you use the VM with?

Postby jallstars » 28 Mar 2009, 00:26

This is a question both out of curiosity and taking into equation if I should buy the VM or not. I understand that the VM is very flexible but still it would excel in some areas and not necessarily in others. so far I'm taking it as most people playing either classic rock, southern rock, or blues of some sort. Does anyone play some more modern music as well? So just how is your VM used?
Thanks.

firdy
<25
<25

Re: What type of music do you use the VM with?

Postby firdy » 28 Mar 2009, 01:37

I was quite disappointed with the VM cause I was more used to high gain, since I play more metal stuff. But then I realized one day that I'm gonna quit looking for a new amp and just make do with it.

I play Sabbath, Judas Priest etc, and 80s thrash. I don't play blues or country. Alot of classic rock and metal.

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Postby SteveD » 28 Mar 2009, 02:55

Welcome to the forum firdy. :Thumbs

The Vintage Modern is ideal for Sabbath and Priest, don't know about 80s thrash though.

Forum member 'Mety' has a Black Sabbath tribute band.

Brent Hinds from Mastodon has a Vintage Modern and they're metal!
Still my guitar gently weeps

Bailz
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Has Liked: 13 times
Been liked: 15 times

Postby Bailz » 28 Mar 2009, 06:01

Blues and Classic Rock with my band.

Joe Bonamassa, Stevie Ray Vaughan, BB King, Free.

antoine
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 1 time

Postby antoine » 28 Mar 2009, 07:36

ROCK :high
http://www.myspace.com/antoinebeconcini
http://fr.youtube.com/Anthowtzen

Marshall 2061X Handwired
Marshall 2266
Marshall 4x12 1960 AV loaded with 2 Celestions V30's and 2 Celestions G12H-30
Mesa Boogie MarkIV
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Recto loaded with 2 Celestions V30's
Orange Tiny Terror

Fender Richie Kotzen Telecaster Brown Sunburst
Fender Richie Kotzen Telecaster Sea Foam Green
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster HSS
Gibson SG Special Faded

A lot of pedals.

Slashwannabe1
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 182 times
Been liked: 98 times

Postby Slashwannabe1 » 28 Mar 2009, 09:05

firdy wrote:I was quite disappointed with the VM cause I was more used to high gain, since I play more metal stuff. But then I realized one day that I'm gonna quit looking for a new amp and just make do with it.

I play Sabbath, Judas Priest etc, and 80s thrash. I don't play blues or country. Alot of classic rock and metal.
If you play Sabbath then how do u not have enough gain?

I'm just learning Crazy Train for my band and all I'm using here is just my Seymore Duncan Alnico 2 equiped guitar on high range on the VM and I easily explode with Randy's gain and quite a few notches more.

Theres nothing in my loop to boost the sound just guitar and amp through 2 Jensen Mod 12-50 50 watt speakers vintage brittish voiced speakers. 3:40 on the time shows just how heavy the VM is and I don't even have it maxed out, detail is 7.5 and my body setting is at 4.5. When I recorded that my neighbors who have a garage band said it sounded like the world was coming to an end when they heard me jamming that Enter Sandman riff from all the shaking of my house.

1:50 during VR's American Man when I played that metal riff that thing had loads of power.

I honestly think you guys who say it don't have enough gain just aren't used to hearing every note you play with the clearity VM gives it and perceive it as a lack of gain.
Amplifiers: Marshall 2555x 100watt Silver Jubilee Full Stack with matching 2551AV & 2551BV 8x12 70 watt Vintage 30 speakers.
Marshall 2466 100watt Vintage Modern w/ Matching 425A cab
1966 Fender Bandmaster
Effects: MXR:M234 Analog Chorus, Phase90, Slash Octave Fuzz, Slash SC95 Wah. BOSS: RV-3 & DD3 Reverb & Delay, GE-7 EQ,NS-2 Noise Suppressor, CS-3 Compression Sustainer
Guitars: 6 Les Pauls with Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 Pro Pickups.

TonyC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 27 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby TonyC » 28 Mar 2009, 11:19

Slashwannabe1 wrote:
firdy wrote:I was quite disappointed with the VM cause I was more used to high gain, since I play more metal stuff. But then I realized one day that I'm gonna quit looking for a new amp and just make do with it.

If you play Sabbath then how do u not have enough gain?

I'm just learning Crazy Train for my band and all I'm using here is just my Seymore Duncan Alnico 2 equiped guitar on high range on the VM and I easily explode with Randy's gain and quite a few notches more.

Theres nothing in my loop to boost the sound just guitar and amp through 2 Jensen Mod 12-50 50 watt speakers vintage brittish voiced speakers. 3:40 on the time shows just how heavy the VM is and I don't even have it maxed out, detail is 7.5 and my body setting is at 4.5. When I recorded that my neighbors who have a garage band said it sounded like the world was coming to an end when they heard me jamming that Enter Sandman riff from all the shaking of my house.

1:50 during VR's American Man when I played that metal riff that thing had loads of power.

I honestly think you guys who say it don't have enough gain just aren't used to hearing every note you play with the clearity VM gives it and perceive it as a lack of gain.
Slashwannabe, again you're assuming that nobody else but you has got it. When we are talking about "gain" or the term "high gain", we are not always talking about the amount of gain, but the character for the distorted sound. I think we're all aware that the VM is capable of deliver alot of gain. But for modern metal it's not always the right sound. Some may want that crushy sound with a very tight bottom, a sound that usually is described with the term "modern high gain". I can fully understand why people don't wanna use the VM for i.e. Death Metal, and describes the VM as not being a "high gain" amp.

Slashwannabe1
Knighted
Knighted

Postby Slashwannabe1 » 28 Mar 2009, 11:49

TonyC wrote:
Slashwannabe1 wrote:
firdy wrote:
Slashwannabe, again you're assuming that nobody else but you has got it. When we are talking about "gain" or the term "high gain", we are not always talking about the amount of gain, but the character for the distorted sound. I think we're all aware that the VM is capable of deliver alot of gain. But for modern metal it's not always the right sound. Some may want that crushy sound with a very tight bottom, a sound that usually is described with the term "modern high gain". I can fully understand why people don't wanna use the VM for i.e. Death Metal, and describes the VM as not being a "high gain" amp.
You are taking it out of context.

Firdi says he Plays SABBATH and don't have enough Gain, I could see your point and even agree with you if we were talking about death Metal (BUT WE'RE NOT), but even in Death Metal the chunkyness comes from the very low tuning of their guitar. Thats what I'm talking about. And if people bought a Marshall they should know its a Rock amp thats fully capable of tackling mainstream Metal sounds so long as the right supporting equipment is there. Turn the body up and use an EQ and then you can get as tight of a bottum end as you want, also EMG's or another type of active pick up probably would even help get you that extra or a an active pickup.

If you are talking about gain you are talking about the natural distortion of the amp, if you are talking about a tight bottum end you are talking about the character of the amp. I suppose some of these clowns who buy this amp and complain about the gain aren't very proficient as a guitarist and use a new players approach to cover up everything with a muddy soup of gain, thats their choice their sound, and its understandable. If I dropped the mids on my EQ and boosted the body up very high I could sound very metal as much as anyone who plays that genere.

Besides why would you want to sound modern, those sounds are done with Mesa's by and large and they sound like crap in my opinion, you buy a Marshall cuz you know what it sounds like!

Listen to my youtube video and compare the heavy sound I'm getting with people who say they play the same stuff as I am and say they can't do it. I'm here to say "YES YOU CAN TOO". I'm not saying I'm the only one who gets that sound but rather maybe I'm one of the few that actually researched my tone I dreamt of and matched my pick ups and guitar set up to facilitate those sounds from the amp?

The thing is I see people here trying to get an active pickup sound with passive pickups, that is my problem with people who want more gain, they can't have tight cleans and heavy sounds in the same 1 channel amp.

My point is do some research first before you buy! Usually if you are looking for a sound similar to somebody you admire you look at what they are using so you get as close as possible and if they are in Metal chances are they are using an Active pickup to get the extra gain thats missing from the amp and is that the amplifiers fault? no!

Seriously you need to have supporting equipment or you are wasting your time. Don't blame the amp for what you lack. People think gain is soley in the amplifier but a lot has to do with it... speakers,pickups and the amplifier working together. Have realistic goals as well and realise that you may not be able to have the extreme gain and extreme cleans all in one unit unless you are using a double neck guitar. if you are a broke musician like me and you only have enough cash to fund one good guitar then choose a sound or a medium.

There are ways to get your sound on this amp, EQ's, Different voiced pick ups, active or passive pick ups. The amp will facilitate but the key factor everybody forgets is that ultimatly your guitar decides how you sound!

Its musician 101! learning that the amplifier is not the only element of an electric guitars sound! The player, Guitar,amp and supporting equipment. Theres no magic amplifier out there and if there were the Marshall Vintage Modern is the closest thing to that! Theres absolutly no amplifier like the Vintage Modern that lets you control every aspect of your gain, its absolutly stunning the amount of control and it is this reason why I am so adamant about defending the VM against technically challenged Guitarists who don't realise theres more than just the amp at stake in the tone trenches. Theres more than 1 way to get to where ever your going no matter where you start out.

It is this factor that we are called Guitarists and not Amplifierists.
Amplifiers: Marshall 2555x 100watt Silver Jubilee Full Stack with matching 2551AV & 2551BV 8x12 70 watt Vintage 30 speakers.
1966 Fender Bandmaster
Effects: MXR:M234 Analog Chorus, Phase90, Slash Octave Fuzz, Slash SC95 Wah. BOSS: RV-3 & DD3 Reverb & Delay, GE-7 EQ,NS-2 Noise Suppressor, CS-3 Compression Sustainer

TonyC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 27 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby TonyC » 28 Mar 2009, 13:01

I can see and understand you're happy with the VM, and so am I. But you really dont need to teach us in that shouting manner of yours. Besides this forum is crowded with poeple who's been playing for 20-30 years, for fun or professionally, so you're really kicking a lot of already open doors here.

We all love the VM. Calm down.

Slashwannabe1
Knighted
Knighted

Postby Slashwannabe1 » 28 Mar 2009, 13:46

TonyC wrote:I can see and understand you're happy with the VM, and so am I. But you really dont need to teach us in that shouting manner of yours. Besides this forum is crowded with poeple who's been playing for 20-30 years, for fun or professionally, so you're really kicking a lot of already open doors here.

We all love the VM. Calm down.
Shouting? how am I shouting? Because I'm passionate I'm shouting?

I think theres a language barrier between us you being from Sweden and me from the United States, what you think is shouting and what i think are 2 different things. :ball kick

The funny thing is though, the guys who have been playing 10+ years aren't complaning about the VM's Gain the little kids are.

And since I proved every other aspect of your prior post the parts I didn't agree with you on wrong you have to come at me with senceless comments. :fart

You may not be able to see it but I'm trying to be helpfull and suggest that there are things that control the amp's sound more than itself. You plug shit into this amp you'll get shit out of it, you plug great things in you'll get great things its only as good as your weakest link and many many people do not realise this and are afraid if not outright in denial (not the river in Egypt) that their equipment could be the weak link and not the VM. The first step in getting that great tone is listening to people who have expirence in doing certain things and taking notes on who uses what to get a certain sound.

You guys who say the VM can't do this or that are the ones who need to calm down and be more open minded, I'm giving valid suggestions and you are shooting me down at every crosswalk with your pessimistic behavior.

We're all students of the game of music and when I'm trying to help another guy out you come at me and try to shut me up, I'm not a know it all far from it! I'm learning every day and have learnt way more than I ever have in the last month of owning my Vintage Modern using the core basic tone knowledge I've gain in my 8-10 years as a player trying equipment out and playing everything from Rock N Roll to Metal and I feel that if I may not know exactly how to get to that road I'll deffinitly get somebody on the path there with the expirence.

I don't know you, I don't have a problem with you but I think you need to be more open minded and probably look at my posts in more detail before you jump out the window. If you think your guitar and pickups don't have a lot to do with your sound and gain capability or lack of then you could use some schooling from a fellow student of the game (not nessisarily myself) and you should pull up a chair and listen and we'll compare notes.
1966 Fender Bandmaster

Slashwannabe1
Knighted
Knighted

Postby Slashwannabe1 » 28 Mar 2009, 13:51

SteveD wrote:Welcome to the forum firdy. :Thumbs

The Vintage Modern is ideal for Sabbath and Priest, don't know about 80s thrash though.

Brent Hinds from Mastodon has a Vintage Modern and they're metal!

:jam

Thanks Steve!
1966 Fender Bandmaster

StephenRutledge
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts

Postby StephenRutledge » 28 Mar 2009, 16:43

:blues rock

Graemey
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Graemey » 29 Mar 2009, 03:46

Rockabilly :beerme
Marshall 2466 Vintage Modern 425A
Fender 'Twin Amp'
Vox AC30 TB 1970
Vox AC30 1963
Selmer Treble 'n' Bass 50
WEM Dominator
WEM Westminster

tellus1
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby tellus1 » 29 Mar 2009, 13:51

I mostly play Gn'R, V.R. Metallica, Offspring and even som Weezer songs. :high
Marshall VM 2266 BLACK
Marshall 425A BLACK
Vox AD50VT
2007 Gibson Les Paul Standard w Alnico II pro pickups
2007 Ltd EC1000 w EMG pickups
2006 Ibanez V70 Acoustic

Spotted Dog
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 105 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby Spotted Dog » 29 Mar 2009, 14:21

Blues, rock and self-indulgent jams, :bgrin (Including Pink Floyd, Allman Brothers, Zeppelin, BB King, Satriani, Doors and Mayall styles). I don't try to emulate their tone, just simply use my sound on their material.
No metal or country... not that there's anything wrong with that!
Joe, Jimi, Stevie, Derek, Carlos, Jimmy, Warren, Buddy, Dickie, Eric, Lonnie, Robin, Duane, Luther, David, Tommy, Walter

335, LPs, Strats, Teles, Myra -->> 2266, 425A, JTM1, JMP1H, JCM1H, Lone Star Special, Super Reverb, Dr Z Galaxie & Carmen Ghia, MG 15, Li'l Dawg Tweed Deluxe Clone

TS-808, Blues Driver; Lovepedal, Amp 50, MXR 78 BadAss, Les Lius, Java Boost, Fuzz Head, MXR 10 EQ, Deja Vibe, Cry Baby, Trinity Reverb, Alter Ego Delay, Rat, Big Muff, MK Boost

Return to “Marshall Vintage Modern”