Moderator: longfxukxnhair

johnbee
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Best Boost for solos in my opinion

Postby johnbee » 15 May 2009, 08:20

in my opinion was really simple. I used a Boss GE-7 last in the effects loop after all other pedals in the loop. Put the EQ in a frowny face and add just a touch of level increase on the GE-7. Solos cut through great w/o huge volume change. It's the mids that make the difference not the volume when you need to cut through. I think this worked better than a volume pedal or volume cut pedal since I felt cutting the volume for rhythm work made the rhythm a little thin. I just run the amp full out and step on my GE-7 and viola !!

Slashwannabe1
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 182 times
Been liked: 98 times

Re: Best Boost for solos in my opinion

Postby Slashwannabe1 » 15 May 2009, 14:27

Excuse my language but I fucking love the GE-7! especially in front of the input.

Works great!.
Amplifiers: Marshall 2555x 100watt Silver Jubilee Full Stack with matching 2551AV & 2551BV 8x12 70 watt Vintage 30 speakers.
Marshall 2466 100watt Vintage Modern w/ Matching 425A cab
1966 Fender Bandmaster
Effects: MXR:M234 Analog Chorus, Phase90, Slash Octave Fuzz, Slash SC95 Wah. BOSS: RV-3 & DD3 Reverb & Delay, GE-7 EQ,NS-2 Noise Suppressor, CS-3 Compression Sustainer
Guitars: 6 Les Pauls with Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 Pro Pickups.

wharris
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby wharris » 25 May 2009, 12:30

I just scored a Luther Drive from Gearmandude (check out his YouTube videos). That is a great OD pedal that sounds very cool with the LDR and also works very nicely as a lead boost in the HDR setting. It's real clean and transparent, and you can't beat it for the money. :rocker
Amps: 2266 VM head, 1987 2555 Silver Jubilee, Mesa Lonestar Classic, Metropoulos '68 12,000 Plexi Super Lead
Cabs: 425A, Buzzbomb w/Scholz Sugarcones, Mesa Lonestar 2x12
Guitars: Gibson R0 Les Paul, Bonamassa Les Paul #155, '09 DaPra Bourbon Fade 59 RI Les Paul, American Standard Stratocaster

Mr_Martin
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Mr_Martin » 09 Jul 2009, 01:58

My Settings:
EQ Section: all set on 5
Body: 6
Detail: 7

I play Rhythm (nice crunch) on the Low Dynamic Range and for Solos i kick in the High Dynamic Range (fat leads with perfect Volume boost), that's it.
Too Simple?

Greets
GUITARS:
FENDER Baja Telecaster
FENDER Esquire
Gibson Flying V 1993 (cherry red)

AMPS:
Marshall 2266c
Kustom Defender

PICKUPS: Leosounds (Flying V), Broadcaster PU's (Tele+Esquire)

Slashwannabe1
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 182 times
Been liked: 98 times

Postby Slashwannabe1 » 09 Jul 2009, 04:07

Mr_Martin wrote:My Settings:
EQ Section: all set on 5
Body: 6
Detail: 7

I play Rhythm (nice crunch) on the Low Dynamic Range and for Solos i kick in the High Dynamic Range (fat leads with perfect Volume boost), that's it.
Too Simple?

Greets
That works great, but not for a Hard Rock Player whos allready in High Dynamic.
Amplifiers: Marshall 2555x 100watt Silver Jubilee Full Stack with matching 2551AV & 2551BV 8x12 70 watt Vintage 30 speakers.
Marshall 2466 100watt Vintage Modern w/ Matching 425A cab
1966 Fender Bandmaster
Effects: MXR:M234 Analog Chorus, Phase90, Slash Octave Fuzz, Slash SC95 Wah. BOSS: RV-3 & DD3 Reverb & Delay, GE-7 EQ,NS-2 Noise Suppressor, CS-3 Compression Sustainer
Guitars: 6 Les Pauls with Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 Pro Pickups.

MKB
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 96 times

Postby MKB » 09 Jul 2009, 05:32

I've been using a SHO lately with very good success. Set it up like this: turn on the SHO with a good boost (knob on about 10 o'clock), and set LDR for just a tiny bit of breakup. You can then use combinations of LDR and HDR with and without the boost, and get everything from excellent cleans to strong overdrive.

I also tried a Boss SD-1, which is normally a good overdrive for 4 input Marshalls. It didn't work as well into HDR. HDR seems to like a cleaner boost.

Mr_Martin
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Mr_Martin » 09 Jul 2009, 06:18

MKB wrote:I've been using a SHO lately with very good success. Set it up like this: turn on the SHO with a good boost (knob on about 10 o'clock), and set LDR for just a tiny bit of breakup. You can then use combinations of LDR and HDR with and without the boost, and get everything from excellent cleans to strong overdrive.

I also tried a Boss SD-1, which is normally a good overdrive for 4 input Marshalls. It didn't work as well into HDR. HDR seems to like a cleaner boost.

Sorry, what is a SHO?

Greets
GUITARS:
FENDER Baja Telecaster
FENDER Esquire

AMPS:
Marshall 2266c
Kustom Defender

MKB
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 96 times

Postby MKB » 10 Jul 2009, 04:51

Mr_Martin wrote:
MKB wrote:I've been using a SHO lately with very good success. Set it up like this: turn on the SHO with a good boost (knob on about 10 o'clock), and set LDR for just a tiny bit of breakup. You can then use combinations of LDR and HDR with and without the boost, and get everything from excellent cleans to strong overdrive.

Sorry, what is a SHO?

Greets
http://zvex.com/hardon.html

Mr_Martin
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Mr_Martin » 11 Jul 2009, 16:16

YEAH!!!!!
GUITARS:
FENDER Baja Telecaster
FENDER Esquire

AMPS:
Marshall 2266c
Kustom Defender

Craggan
<25
<25

Postby Craggan » 11 Jul 2009, 18:27

Xotic BB Pre amp is my boost for the VM, Vol=10 - Gain=0 .. it also works as "High Dynamic" distortion, and is extremely close to the amps natural High setting. (everything on the BB at 5) .. I have maybe 20 OD/Distortion pedals .. it is the closest the VM ;)

The BB preamp replaced my 2 OCD's. I plan on buying the new Xotic BB preamp dual pedal. .. One as Boost, one as Distortion to eliminate the HUGE volume increase going to High range .. It also has Bass/treble so you can tweak it. It sounds like a Tubescreamer on steriods, with a little less mid hump .. Like a OCD with a tad more mids, but Bass you can dial in or out ..

love the thing !!!

Works GREAT with my Roadster too !!

rickc333
<25
<25

Postby rickc333 » 13 Jul 2009, 06:27

I had a GE-7 and was told by a friend he liked the Dan Electro fish n chips I tried it being skeptical abpout the plastic and cheap price but IMO it's better I also have a Boss CS-3 that I hot rodded a little to quiet it up I like these and my old tube screamer(also hot rodded) in different combinations and used individually depending on the target tones. I think most people over do it with these type of units and as we all know this is a GREAT amp and needs very little help moderation moderation moderation lol. If you have to noise supress the sh** out of the signal your probably using to much of something.

rccCrawler
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby rccCrawler » 13 Jul 2009, 08:20

johnbee wrote:in my opinion was really simple. I used a Boss GE-7 last in the effects loop after all other pedals in the loop. Put the EQ in a frowny face and add just a touch of level increase on the GE-7. Solos cut through great w/o huge volume change. It's the mids that make the difference not the volume when you need to cut through. I think this worked better than a volume pedal or volume cut pedal since I felt cutting the volume for rhythm work made the rhythm a little thin. I just run the amp full out and step on my GE-7 and viola !!
Just curious - what is the actual db boost/cut of each frequency?

I have something similar to this I use, but I find it is a very subtle tone shaping I am doing - no more than 2.5~3 db boost to certain frequencies. Any more than that and the additional distortion is not to my taste.

Return to “Marshall Vintage Modern”