Wiz
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Amp advice

Postby Wiz » 15 Dec 2009, 21:37

Hi

I had to send back a class a 5w marshall, due to rattle issues...and I am awaiting a replacement.

I truly love the sound of that amp.

I have played fender/vox all my gigging life ( I am 45 years old) but the Class a 5W was the first marshall i have ever owned.

I have a bad back, and got it (the 5W) because of its sound and its weight.

Given that I love the sound of it.....what other amp would you guys recommend that marshall makes, that I could look into? (just incase the 5W rattle issue isnt resolved)

Budget isnt so much of an issue, though of course, cheaper is better... :howdy

any advice greatly appreciated

cheers

Wiz

http://www.ozlandmusic.com

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Re: Amp advice

Postby SteveD » 16 Dec 2009, 12:01

Welcome to the forum Wiz. :Thumbs

Why not persevere with the Class 5. Not sorting issues is not an option for us.
Still my guitar gently weeps

Wiz
<25
<25

Postby Wiz » 16 Dec 2009, 13:20

SteveD wrote:Welcome to the forum Wiz. :Thumbs

Why not persevere with the Class 5. Not sorting issues is not an option for us.

Hi Steve

thanks for the welcome.... :dance

I am going to perservere with the Class 5.

I am sooooo impressed with its sound...its just really really cool.

I hope the extra amp the dealer has is good to go...and if not they are expecting a couple in , next time they get a shipment.

I was reading some old posts and see you are the amps designer... :woot

Its very cool that you are on a public forum...and you really have come up with a fantastic sounding product...if we can get these rattle issues sorted..all will be great.

In fact my first reaction when I played the amp, was....this thing is going to be a classic...it was just such a great sound, in a light little package..

thanks again for the welcome

Wiz
:beerme

ps love all the emoticons.,,

MKB
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 96 times

Postby MKB » 17 Dec 2009, 04:45

Hi Wiz, glad you are in the Marshall family. It's a happy place, but loud. :)

Fortunately, if you have a reasonable PA, the Class 5 could be a good amp for most purposes. If you need more power or a different tone (more heavy rock or metal), there are quite a few good Marshalls you can get. Unfortunately the larger tube amps are relatively heavy. The smallest one is probably the Haze 40, and it weighs in around 45 lbs. You might want to check out a used Valvestate or one of the newer hybrid or solid state models if weight is an issue (they don't usually weigh as much as tube amps as you don't need an output transformer, that's 5 pounds or so less).

One great trick to lowering the weight of an amp is to replace the speaker with a Neodymium magnet speaker. That will reduce the weight of the amp by 10lbs. or more.

Wiz
<25
<25

Postby Wiz » 17 Dec 2009, 15:30

MKB wrote:Hi Wiz, glad you are in the Marshall family. It's a happy place, but loud. :)

Fortunately, if you have a reasonable PA, the Class 5 could be a good amp for most purposes. If you need more power or a different tone (more heavy rock or metal), there are quite a few good Marshalls you can get. Unfortunately the larger tube amps are relatively heavy. The smallest one is probably the Haze 40, and it weighs in around 45 lbs. You might want to check out a used Valvestate or one of the newer hybrid or solid state models if weight is an issue (they don't usually weigh as much as tube amps as you don't need an output transformer, that's 5 pounds or so less).

One great trick to lowering the weight of an amp is to replace the speaker with a Neodymium magnet speaker. That will reduce the weight of the amp by 10lbs. or more.
thanks very much for the advice.

didnt know that about nedymium magnets...thats a significant weight difference.

thanks again

Wiz

:chug

Return to “Marshall Vintage Modern”